FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spiral Continuum

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Hey summoners,

Finally, well be removing both Promote and Surge. Were creating an item with an effect like Promote since it makes sense as a strategic option, and having it as a buy-in strategy means well be able to better balance the effect in relation to its gold cost. Surge is being removed because it isnt always clear when to use it or which champions benefit from it. In the end, Surge is a competing spell in a niche wed like Ignite to fill.

In the preseason we want summoner spells to be another way to customize your champion to suit your playstyle instead of being dominated by a few, extremely strong choices. Were confident that these modifications will free you up to experiment with different combinations and tailored to your favorite champions.

I understand that fixing and balancing the underutilized summoner spells will help people use them more, and I even understand removing promote if an item will be able to do it(gosh I hope it's a good support item!) but removing Surge?? It's very clear who to use this spell on: AP+AS character builds, like Vorpal-Spikes Cho'Gath, Tanky AS Nasus, Just about any AP/on-hit hybrid(why would Teemo take Ignite over Surge anyway?), etc.

I get that you're trying to encourage people to keep using ignite when it's getting nerfed, but doesn't all of this go against your stated thesis of trying to encourage diverse selection of summoner-spells? Ignite WILL NOT fill in for Surge because they are really not the same at all! If anything the new Exhaust will be what these sort of builds take.

I wonder if it came up that Surge is a great spell on Dominion or if this decision was made based on it's general non-use on Summoners Rift? The reason for that is that more diverse play-styles work on Dominion, and since you are trying to encourage that in Summoner's Rift, it seems like this patch would be the one to finally give Surge the respect that it deserves! Instead... removal? This seems like a big mistake to me...

Mortiferus Rosa

11-14-2012

Just curious, do you gentlemen have a general time that you think these mastery changes will be coming around? Dunno why, but I love fiddling with masteries and am looking forward to seeing the new setup.

Respectfully,

Mortiferus Rosa

PowerSmoker

11-14-2012

good stuff guys , more changes keeping the game fresh !

Rafaael

11-14-2012

yay

Demands

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThingMB View Post
But surge was the only thing made a 6 stack cho' gath even bigger.
wtb lulu ulti?

NeurOnyx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinux View Post
So because of some players that don't know how to use a GREAT summoner spell like surge you going to remove it? Really? REALLY? And what about us who DO know how to use it properly? way to cater to bad players ah? way to not "forcing" them to improve.

It is like all the late trolling with stupid builds... I was once an AP noob useless Yi fanboy but now I know how much of a disadvantage to your team an AP Yi is but hey! after all his Q and W scale of AP right? a champ that rapes as AD having his spell ratios scaling off AP is ok right?

Seriously Riot what's wrong with you guys? It seems you trying darn hard to make this game too easy to troll with some times... Surge is great for those champs that have great AP burst and even more with those with DoT ults (coughMORDEcoughFIDDLEcough) and now that great spell is gone because of noobs hmmm... GOOD JOB !!! *claps*
What a ****ing moron.

Phantasus

11-14-2012

So in order to create more player choices in certain niches you are removing surge from the game and making ignite the only summoner spell related to increased damage?
^ Sad panda.

Eougne

11-14-2012

"Finally, well be removing both Promote and Surge"

YOU WHAT ?!

XXTWINKLETITSXX

11-14-2012

this is great and all, but you need to fix the ELO - make it so you can only gain ELO - a loss would just mean you don't get any. That would eliminate these ELO Hells. unless you fix this, no other game change will make the game better

Timjin

11-14-2012

Gahhhhh! I'm dieing to know ALL THE THINGS!

Really curious about the statistics associated with *Pickpocket*

How much gold do you get per ranged attack? Per Melee attack?

What's the cooldown?

Does it have awesome graphics when you hit?