FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Clueless PhD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
This specifically has changed. You are correct Lifesteal didn't really belong in the offense tree. Lifesteal and Spellvamp are now bundled into the same mastery inside Utility. While it may not be popular among AD carry players to lose the LS from the offense tree, Utility as a whole has been made a more attractive choice for all character types.
Hey, FeralPony (and Roku). I suppose the big question is: are we just going to play around with setups until we find something optimal again, or is there going to be real variation?

I mean, I remember when the Season 2 masteries came out. There was some experimentation for a while, but there was generally a "best" answer for a given situation. I don't need to list off the standards for mastery use; you guys certainly know them.

Is S3 just going to bring around new standards once people figure it out? For reference, I think about the Talent system in World of Warcraft. They had plenty of options, but everyone knew that there was a correct choice when it came to building a spec.

In your internal playtests, does it look like we're seeing the same situation? AD Carries should still go 21 Offense, et cetera?

If it does look like there is REAL room for mastery variation, not just false choice, does the choice seem to be driven by circumstances and matchup or by personal preference? Basically, am I going to run Defense or Utility on an AD Carry because the lane matchup says so, or because that's the way I roll?

Synergy42

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatedude View Post
Awesome, can't wait for the new spells~
What new spells are you referring to? They didn't announce any new summoner spells at all, soooo..... (sort of wish they had :/ )

Kaos Sakana

11-12-2012

Taking out Indomitable and nerfing tough skin was completely retarded. Early game harassment is fun, and nerfing that hurts more champions then it helps.

Vertchewal

11-12-2012

There were a number of Season Two masteries that didn’t really fit well into their trees. Masteries like Siege Commander (which reduced the armor of nearby enemy turrets) didn’t really belong in the Defense tree, so we replaced it with a more appropriate mastery called Tower Shield that reduces incoming damage from turrets.

It's about time.

Alcatraz01

Recruiter

11-12-2012

Surge was amazing! It was great on several champions, including Tristana (who's Q speed boost stacked on with it and made her great for taking down towers) and many AP champions like Elise who need some bonus attack speed and ability power. It took SKILL to use, which is why nobody used it!

Fredpants

11-12-2012

wait does this mean that all the internet champion masteries are worthless?!
but new stuff is always good..right?

LesbianRainbow

11-12-2012

new season = new stuff *claps*

Ruxaes

11-12-2012

Barrier does seem very nice to go with if you want to be able to take that one tower hit when you tower dive when mid laning, i like to play Cassiopeia and i always find my self diving for a kill mid and flash usually works fine but it seems barrier would work better but then barrier doesn't give me an escape like flashing over a wall. my main question is how will the new changes change flash and ignite combo? Personally i feel i would still prefer going with flash and ignite and if ap can do good in utility then the 15% cd on summoners will be fine for the increase in cd on flash and ignite.

Pho7ios

11-12-2012

I am going to miss surge =(

Fenrir51

Recruiter

11-12-2012

i find Surge to be really useful when playing dps characters in game fights and it helps with how fast you can life steal (like warwick) and a table turner for when you're fighting against a strong tanky champions like Garen.
people dont use it cause they dont know how to use it, but what about those who do know how to use surge?