Why is it acceptable to treat banned people like trash?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krimson62

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa03 View Post
so let me get this straight... someone trash talks their team and gets ban ....now they r upset when ppl trash talk them back?

Not quite,

Just trying to point out that we shouldn't stoop to the level of a toxic player despite the offenses they may have caused.

Dreamspitter

Recruiter

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonshikee View Post
Because people are naturally mean if there are no repercussions, only thing that keeps society in check is punishments for bad behavior. On the forums you can call others names and not get banned as they would in a game, therefore these same people who would normally be banned in game can act as they naturally would. Of course most of these people would not speak the same way in game knowing there are repercussions for their words.

I'm going to quote Einstein on this one.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. "
-Albert Einstein

Arcane Azmadi

11-12-2012

To be honest, OP, people who get permabanned basically are trash. They've shown, over and over and over again, that they cannot interact with their fellows in a decently civil manner. This is not a hard thing to do, no matter how much they whine that they "just can't help themselves" and they're being "treated unfairly", but they persist in being total tools to people and then come here to whine about it. As far as I'm concerned they're the lowest of the low. I do not respect them because they are not worthy of respect.

While I don't condone unprovoked abuse and taunting of those who have managed to get themselves permabanned, I still have no sympathy for them whatsoever and if they're going to come here and make a spectacle of themselves they deserve basically everything they get (within reason, of course, there's such a thing as class). They're contemptible so I see no reason not to treat them with contempt. Hopefully that will help them get the message that their behavior is simply not appreciated in this community (and no, it's not "doing the same thing as they were").

Krimson62

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Azmadi View Post
To be honest, OP, people who get permabanned basically are trash. They've shown, over and over and over again, that they cannot interact with their fellows in a decently civil manner. This is not a hard thing to do, no matter how much they whine that they "just can't help themselves" and they're being "treated unfairly", but they persist in being total tools to people and then come here to whine about it. As far as I'm concerned they're the lowest of the low. I do not respect them because they are not worthy of respect.

While I don't condone unprovoked abuse and taunting of those who have managed to get themselves permabanned, I still have no sympathy for them whatsoever and if they're going to come here and make a spectacle of themselves they deserve basically everything they get (within reason, of course, there's such a thing as class). They're contemptible so I see no reason not to treat them with contempt.

It's not about them not getting what they deserve (toxic gets what toxic deserves in the form of bans)

It's about not tainting ourselves by acting like those we are punishing. We have to start removing some of the hypocrisy that fills the forums. one small step at a time we can help people improve by not letting ourselves fall below our own standards

Super Explosion

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson62 View Post
It's not about them not getting what they deserve (toxic gets what toxic deserves in the form of bans)

It's about not tainting ourselves by acting like those we are punishing. We have to start removing some of the hypocrisy that fills the forums. one small step at a time we can help people improve by not letting ourselves fall below our own standards
There are likely two dimensions to this.

It is bad for you personally to be mean in this case-- you could have said something more helpful to everyone.

It is good however, for meanness to be allowed to happen on the forums-- free uncensored speech that you exposed yourself to by choice.

So on the one hand, it would be nice if everyone spoke words of optimal helpfulness.

But on the other hand, Riot should not forum ban people for being crude.

Edit: This is specifically about the forums, areas of optional public discussion, not the gamechat, a part of the game designed for fun.

ATastyDessert

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamspitter View Post

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. "
-Albert Einstein
This for life. Hi guys hows my fake personality?

CrzyPaintNinja

11-12-2012

would it be possible to ban players that use those toxic sorts of behavior in the forums as well?

Dragoon Feld

11-12-2012

because most are already lying peices of trash.

IS1879fbf8ece39275db4d9

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I totally agree with the OP that we should be careful not to display the same behaviors that permabanned players have behind them.

It's important for the community at large to not be tolerant of extremely toxic and negative behavior, but display your lack of tolerance with kindness and respect. We all need to work together to create a shared culture that values mutual respect and good sportsmanship.

That being said - it's important to also be firm with the permabanned folks and let them know that if they can't treat others with respect, and behave in a sportsmanlike fashion then they should find other communities.
You mean we shouldn't do what Zileas did the other day?

CataclysmCrash

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamspitter View Post

-Albert Einstein
"Honor me please"

"Honor me plox"

"Gimme honor"

If I cared enough, I would report for this ****. It just doesn't make any sense that people have turned a symbol for a quality player into some unlockable that needs to be acquired via begging.