Why is it acceptable to treat banned people like trash?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShadowRumia

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
once you all get your first week ban for nothing, you will all know what it feels like.

welcome to the new LoL....where trolls are protected by Riot and they determine your fate.

Phykos

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
In a heavily team based competitive environment, words are gonna be said no matter what, either with your team mates or against your opponents.

The basic manner in this highly competitive game is to play your role properly. Not butter up your teamates or opponents.

You guys are trying to make this game carebear land with violence, and its not going to work.

The tolerance bar needs to be raised a lil. The tru bans where its obvious the kid needs a break/suspension is granted yes, but there are cases out there that are jus bland and unjust, especially when you cant even review the actual game and see the actions that were taking place by the whole team in general.

its jus so sick. . .

edit: ^ ninjad by pen

What's sick is people suspend their brain while going online because they get the idea that things are somehow, "different". You're still interacting with real people, with real feelings, so the rules still apply. Words are powerful. :/ It's annoying how people look at the greatest tool for communication we have and then have the nerve to claim it's meaningless. I'd wager anyone who says they've never been affected by words is either A) A Liar, B) A Sociopath, or C)In denial about their real feelings.

Come on man, I know you understand what I'm saying here.

Krimson62

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I totally agree with the OP that we should be careful not to display the same behaviors that permabanned players have behind them.

It's important for the community at large to not be tolerant of extremely toxic and negative behavior, but display your lack of tolerance with kindness and respect. We all need to work together to create a shared culture that values mutual respect and good sportsmanship.

That being said - it's important to also be firm with the permabanned folks and let them know that if they can't treat others with respect, and behave in a sportsmanlike fashion then they should find other communities.

Thanks for the support Pendragon Although I must admit... I am jealous that you can be so clear and concise as to say everything I've been trying to say in four sentences... whereas it took me probably a dozen posts lol

Dracorya

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anidan View Post
I think the only guy i've ever seen get perma-banned that didn't deserve it was the one guy yesterday i think that got banned while he was away for 6 months, unable to play League, apparently.

As for most other, it's kinda my opinion that if they're going to act like major ******s, and then earn the promotion to General ****** by lying about their actions in game, it's kinda deserved.
Nope, that guy deserved it. How about you read the red posts in that thread before you make uneducated comments.

Super Explosion

11-12-2012

Standard threat response--

People are more apt to shoot at people who shot at them or their friends first.

Pointless meanness is by no means great, and optimally should be avoided in these responses, but it is a fairly expected and usually less-harmful ***-for-tat reciprocation.

"A taste of their own medicine" both as a directed 'stay outta here' response, and perhaps in the hope that the recipient will realize by way of their own feelings that the behavior is hurtful. (Which may make the meanness 'pointful'.)

In this specific case, it can perpetuate a 'cycle of abuse', and so should attempt to be avoided, however the cycle is somewhat broken by the banning mechanic.

Could it make the recipients angrier and more likely to abuse? Sure. But they'll still get banned.

(And forum banned if it gets particularly harsh.)

Edit: Although, a forum is a place of public opinion. By coming here, you elect to hear the opinions of others, polite or not.
Niceness is far less important (and perhaps occasionally unhelpful) here than in a game for fun.
Here you come deliberately to expose yourself to the words of the world, whether they are or are not to your liking.

-----------------------------------------

Tl;dr: Less of an issue on the forums because you come here to talk to people, and hear what they have to say.

That may not be nice, but it is clean hard free speech that you elected to be involved in.

In a game for fun like League, meanness within the game almost universally detracts from the experience.

On forums, it may well enhance the experience by providing the uncensored opinions of others which you have deliberately chosen to hear.

Bolby

11-12-2012

I'm guessing because that's the way they treated everyone else. I would blame human nature to be honest.

Zertryx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

To sum up this post ... and i completely agree with the OP ...

"Two Wrongs don't make a Right"

it's pretty simple.

Llann

11-12-2012

Heh.

"Two wrongs don't make a Riot."

supa03

11-12-2012

so let me get this straight... someone trash talks their team and gets ban ....now they r upset when ppl trash talk them back?

Krimson62

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llann View Post
Heh.

"Two wrongs don't make a Riot."
l "LoL"d