FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Athideus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Why is riot now making items that trivialize things that make summoner spells/certain passives unique? ignoring unit collision is what helped make Hecarim and Fizz unique. Brands passive is now also made into an item, and now we will get a free CV. It seems you guys are trying to homogenize the game and take away some of the uniqueness of characters by giving every character access to that, which is what help kill WoW(at least for me). Ignoring unit collision for one will wreck some peoples ability to juke by running in between minions to lose somebody

MedievalMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Duck View Post
It doesn't block CC. He'll still get blasted if he tries to ult in front of the enemy while he's alive.
He was referring to using it to block the damage from an enemy Karthus ult how did you miss that?

Baby Wolf Cat

Recruiter

11-12-2012

Woo Barrier..

willcutt

11-12-2012

RIP karthus ult

JimMaru

11-12-2012

It occurred to me that not only surge was removed, but also elixir of agility. It seems that most AS reliant champions now got an indirect nerf out of it. I've seen you guys say that you wanted to boost on-hit builds effectiveness, so are we seeing these changes as a way to balance the game with the new on-hit procs?
I main Volibear and like playing AP Teemo, I also play WW from time to time and no surge on them kinda makes me sad. We could at least have had it remade on a less strong skill or removed the AP bonus.
I understand that this skill was "niche" in that it was totally useless to some but could skyrocket some other champions damage (Yay for successfully soloing Darius top + Shivanna Jungle at lv 6 with volibear), but this makes summoner spells kinda stagnated to me. We bearly- er... barely have any offensive summoner skills.
Exaust can be used to reduce someone's defenses with masteries, I guess... Though I think that the MS and damage reduction is much more important overall...
We can ignite someone and... Then KS whoever was supposed to take the kill...

Battok

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurekskc View Post
Can you explain the rationale behind this? Even on ARAM, I find that barrier denies too many kills. If ported over to SR, I'm afraid that barrier will at as a get-out-of-jail free card, especially when used with flash. Especially midlane, where it could block damage from burst champions such as LeBlanc and allow people to win fights that they are supposed to lose.
I think you explained this yourself, even if you didn't realize it. It would seem that the idea behind a lot of changes here are to allow you to make minor/major sacrifices in order to alter play style and even maybe negate some of the 1v1 lolcounter bull ****. It seems that it would be a more fun game if you have options like barrier/flash when say you got counter picked in champ select instead of just bending over and taking a shutdown in mid lane as malz vs leblanc. Just my 2 cents.

Some times it's better to embrace change.

Renegade Falcon

11-12-2012

great.

Jigggy

11-12-2012

Did u guys think about giving surge ad instead of ap, instead of completely removing it, and to help clarify which champions could use it?

jmgr4y

11-12-2012

Why get rid of surge? Its awesome for on hit champions....

Roku

QA Analyst

11-12-2012
10 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoproboscizoid View Post
@Roku: I'm a little worried about what the implementation of barrier will mean for burst characters and especially for AP mids. Most APs deals their damage in a burst combo so if you run barrier mid, you can pretty much eliminate the threat of death from your lane opponent. While this might not mean much in the 1v1 scenario since getting 1v1 kills in lane is somewhat rare in mid, when combined with the jungle changes aimed towards making ganks less frequent, I fear that mid will become a stale farm lane. This would have an especially high impact on burst champions without a lot of cc options, eliminating the viability of champions without sustained damage or cc options to wait out the shield (like Kat, who is already getting nerfed in the upcoming patch).

I do appreciate that this might force the mid lane to have a bit more global presence since a), the jungle wont be ganking as often, and b) you cant get kills mid so you'll have to roam. Is this sort of what you're going for with the addition of barrier?
With a much shorter duration (currently 2 seconds, still subject to change), it is possible to counter a Barrier bait by forcing them to Barrier then waiting out the shield.

With internal testing, it has actually shown that offensive uses of Barrier mid lane have been more prominent - tower shots are pretty easy to predict and block.