Why is it acceptable to treat banned people like trash?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noxian Zell

11-12-2012

Yes, I agree. People who have been banned should not be treated like trash. They deserve respect to. The only time they deserve disrespect is when they commit a punishment not when they are banned. If that makes sense.

Nasdrovia499

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson62 View Post
If you go into jail and antagonize inmates it's no different.

I have a friend, 5 or 6 years ago she fell on very hard times and couldnt afford food. and got arrested for stealing from a supermarket. a few months later she's out, and sure she had some trouble getting back integrated with a good job and whatnot. but she doesn't deserve to be treated like trash just because she was arrested.

She is indeed a worthy member of society as are most people who have served their time.

One of the stats do say most people punished by the tribunal never go back to it
Sorry for your friend. You see, stealing with the sole intent of making your life easier or surviving isn't the same as purposefully aggressing someone. In her case, she didn't deserve the hate in the first place, and what she did wasn't too bad so she could get back. We're talking about the worst part of the citizens.
Likewise, no one will care much or blame you if you get a warning or a few days ban from the tribunal, because it may be due to some specific circumstances. People who get banned for long periods of time or permanently are insanely offensive and don't deserve that kind of leniency.
Not only that, but various kinds of criminals can actually become useful to the society once they come back. There aren't many ways to amend in LoL, except being positive in games and helpful on forums.

As for that stat, it basically says that you usually don't make the same mistake twice and wont go back to the tribunal after a slap on the wrist. It doesn't say anything about permabanned players who smurf and try again and again (for a good reason : they can't be traced as long as they use dynamic IP). It's just like saying "oh, most people who steal food and get released won't do it once more ; therefore we can release serial killers and other ****ed up beings, and hopefully they won't do it again".

@ Tenshinmon : I'm not questioning that anime that apparently works as a moral code, but really...Humans have killed murderers for millenia, that's called death penalty. In some countries it's still legal, in most developed countries it used to be even fairly recently. The only real reasons against it is that "death is definitive, it's too harsh" and "justice can make mistakes" (I simplified the debate, obviously).

In LoL, insulting people like them isn't nearly as aggravating, and we can safely assume that tribunal works well (in the few instances where it fails, red posters such as Lyte have proven that they were able to go back on their decision to lift bans). So basically, there's nothing wrong with disrespecting trash.

Btw, take a look at most red posts on "I got banned QQ" threads - from Pendragon, Lyte and many others. While they obviously can't afford to be directly offensive and rude, their answers usually are the pinnacle of disdain and sarcasm. Lyte even recently said to a player something along the lines of "we don't want you in our game anymore". That's pretty much the polite version of "f*ck off".

Siky

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipttt View Post
But meanwhile, being a bunch of *******s when they want to have civilized discussions is the way to go!
The question is when do they ever want to have a civilized conversation about it? I'm up for being cool with anybody, even raging ******bags if they have any sort of common sense, but put it into context. Why were they banned and how many of them actually can even admit to the reason why they were banned?

You guys rage and act like ******bags to everyone for 6+ months, get banned and then get mad when people give you a dose of your own medicine. Is it fair? Well I don't think it's fair to the hundreds of players that had to endure your garbage, especially if you can't even own up to it.

If a player that got banned wanted to clean up their act for 1 last chance, rage and get banned, be a ******bag and get locked from this game, I am 100% for it. More times than not on these forums though, people who get banned are in denial and won't even try to recognize what got them kicked from the game in first place and that doesn't deserve respect. Don't be deluded into thinking just because you're a human, you deserve everyone's respect and compassion all the time. If you're down on your luck, without a home and need help, that's different from not being allowed to play your favorite game anymore and I my heart doesn't ache for anybody who got banned. The only case I've seen where it wasn't deserved was that oil dude that trusted his roomie and got banned because someone else was being a ******bag on his account.

ThisSpaceForRent

11-12-2012

S3 , where you have to talk like you're sucking up to your boss all day, or else you get reported and banned.

The season of walking on eggshells.

Siky

11-12-2012

It's pretty simple, don't be a dck in games. If you are and you get banned, don't get mad at people for being a dck to you.

If you want a real anology, it's like gossiping in the work place. You don't say mean and spiteful things to your boss, but it's different with co-workers, you can get away with talking about some rather cruel things with other employees. Some things you just don't say in certain places because the consequences are different in certain situations. If you fail to understand this concept, people being mean and disrespectful to you after you get banned from an online game is the least of your troubles.

ThisSpaceForRent

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siky View Post
It's pretty simple, don't be a dck in games. If you are and you get banned, don't get mad at people for being a dck to you.

If you want a real anology, it's like gossiping in the work place. You don't say mean and spiteful things to your boss, but it's different with co-workers, you can get away with talking about some rather cruel things with other employees. Some things you just don't say in certain places because the consequences are different in certain situations. If you fail to understand this concept, people being mean and disrespectful to you after you get banned from an online game is the least of your troubles.
LoL is going downhill, people wont put up with the fact that they have to act like they do at work jus to have a lil fun and not get reported or banned. That's jus ridiculous, alot of people do deserve there bans, trust me ive seen alot of cases, on the other end, lots of people are getting banned for poor/weak reasons. I know tons of people who have already said "Phuck it" to league cuz its not worth the hassle of "being fake" to fun ratio.

Walk on eggshells and enjoy your PG-13 game, where teens are butthurt report abusing everywhere.

Ozypandias

11-12-2012

Because exhibiting basic manners isn't quantum physics?

AlexDnD2

11-12-2012

Its every person's right to have an opinion. Why are you upset when people share their opinion?

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

11-12-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I totally agree with the OP that we should be careful not to display the same behaviors that permabanned players have behind them.

It's important for the community at large to not be tolerant of extremely toxic and negative behavior, but display your lack of tolerance with kindness and respect. We all need to work together to create a shared culture that values mutual respect and good sportsmanship.

That being said - it's important to also be firm with the permabanned folks and let them know that if they can't treat others with respect, and behave in a sportsmanlike fashion then they should find other communities.

ThisSpaceForRent

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anibal122223 View Post
Because exhibiting basic manners isn't quantum physics?
In a heavily team based competitive environment, words are gonna be said no matter what, either with your team mates or against your opponents.

The basic manner in this highly competitive game is to play your role properly. Not butter up your teamates or opponents.

You guys are trying to make this game carebear land with violence, and its not going to work.

The tolerance bar needs to be raised a lil. The tru bans where its obvious the kid needs a break/suspension is granted yes, but there are cases out there that are jus bland and unjust, especially when you cant even review the actual game and see the actions that were taking place by the whole team in general.

its jus so sick. . .

edit: ^ ninjad by pen