FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arannon

11-12-2012

Barrier and flash now?

EFG

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
In the preseason we want summoner spells to be another way to customize your champion to suit your playstyle instead of being dominated by a few, extremely strong choices. We’re confident that these modifications will free you up to experiment with different combinations and tailored to your favorite champions.
What are you doing to make flash not a no-brainer on 95% of champs?. Or does the customization only extend to the second summoner spell slot?.

Crowñ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
Yes but no spoiler... yet
what about now?

Jimyd

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Hey summoners,

I’m Roku, Game QA Analyst at Riot Games, and I’m here today to fill you in on some of the upcoming summoner spell changes we have planned this preseason. Overall, we want to offer you more viable summoner spells, so that you have plenty of options to tailor your selections to suit your individual playstyle and strategic needs. We hope to accomplish this by equalizing power levels and solidifying unique roles for each spell choice.

For starters, we plan to make Barrier available across all maps rather than just the Proving Grounds. To ensure it’s balanced it we’ll be increasing its cooldown and reducing its duration. Barrier will require faster reaction time in its new form, but will remain the go-to defensive option against burst damage. To reinforce this change, we’re also reducing the overall effect of Heal, but modifying it to heal allies for the same amount as it heals the caster. This will solidify Heal into a support role, while making it less useful for baiting opponents.

Next, we’re making some subtle tweaks to many of the summoner spells. Flash and Ignite will each have their cooldowns increased slightly in order to bring them more in line with other spells. Clarity, Clairvoyance, and Exhaust are set for small changes that will make them more visible during gameplay and emphasize their specific roles.

Finally, we’ll be removing both Promote and Surge. We’re creating an item with an effect like Promote since it makes sense as a strategic option, and having it as a buy-in strategy means we’ll be able to better balance the effect in relation to its gold cost. Surge is being removed because it isn’t always clear when to use it or which champions benefit from it. In the end, Surge is a competing spell in a niche we’d like Ignite to fill.

In the preseason we want summoner spells to be another way to customize your champion to suit your playstyle instead of being dominated by a few, extremely strong choices. We’re confident that these modifications will free you up to experiment with different combinations and tailored to your favorite champions.
YOU REMOVED SURGE AND PROMOTE? REAL.

Promote is the one thing that has kept Heimer VIABLE. Surge is good on Teemo/Fizz and anyone who is going for a Malady Wits End build.

Epic fail on Riot's part. Removing fortify made sense, because you could stalemate a game for a long time. Promote promotes aggressive play.

MTaur

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthob View Post
FeralPony:
I was wondering if the you/your creative group have considered a stealth sort of summoner spell e.g. Your champion becomes stealthed for 4 seconds. Attacking or casting spells ends this effect.

While I understand having such a summoner spell would practically force the opposing team to invest in Vision Wards/Oracles, I think it could add a wonderful dynamic to the game.

The way I see it now, there are only 2 real "escape/engage" summoner spells and it seems everyone is reliant on one or the other (mostly just Flash, however). This could open up the field in so many ways. Just like Flash and Ghost, it could be used both offensively and defensively and can make or break someone's life. It may seem overly powerful at first glance, but if you keep in mind that it can be nearly completely negated by items, I think it's more balanced in the end.

Albeit I DO see the potential problem you could run into with "Team A runs stealth and they use it to get the upper hand on Team B. Team A has the advantage and Team B is struggling to keep up. Team B can not afford to purchase oracles and/or are too weak to defend it. Even if they tried to purchase it, they would be put even further behind team A." ... What if Clairvoyance (or Clairvoyance upgraded by a mastery) reveal invisible units?

Just a thought. Maybe an item that grants the ability?
At least it wouldn't be flash/ignite every game anymore... hmmm.

Not sure I like the idea of invisible Galio/Nunu combos though... lulz. Would need testing/balancing, I don't have a clear idea what the unintended consequences could be overall.

Bronxtricker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

@Roku is there a possibility to see a new map coming?

Voliboar

11-12-2012

What I don't understand is:

Is the S3 Mastery Tree overall made to help champions early game or to multiply their stats late game?

Is the S3 Utility Mastery Tree for early game or late game?

If you go 21-9-0, you do tons of damage while having a bit of survivability, and do even more damage late game (?)

If you go 0-9-21, I'm assuming that you get some sustain, regen, cdr, movespeed, exp and gold bonus.
But you would lose a lot of damage, so it's not beneficial early game.
Late game the regeneration is terrible and exp/gold bonus is useless because you're already level 18 and fully built. The movespeed, cdr, lifesteal/spellvamp are left. Movespeed and cdr are fine, but if you're getting lifesteal/spellvamp anyway, then more damage means more health gained back.

Which means, Utility is worthless early and late game.

Does it help mid-game? No, it just helps you get there faster and safer, but since your early game is worse, good enemies would take advantage of that.

Wait, so you sit back and farm? Is Riot encouraging boring passive playing? Farm until 20 minutes then team fight?

I'm confused about the purpose of the Utility Tree, on anything other than support. Junglers also take more damage now so I'm sure 21 points in Defense, or at least Offense, is necessary.

EndlessHelix

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimyd View Post
YOU REMOVED SURGE AND PROMOTE? REAL.

Promote is the one thing that has kept Heimer VIABLE. Surge is good on Teemo/Fizz and anyone who is going for a Malady Wits End build.

Epic fail on Riot's part. Removing fortify made sense, because you could stalemate a game for a long time. Promote promotes aggressive play.
Wait- Heimer has been viable in the last three months? When?

Soulstørm

11-12-2012

Huzzah for more updates!

ArrowAce

11-12-2012

Is CDR still in the masteries??