Calls or Pick Order

Calls 39 19.12%
Pick Order 165 80.88%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

"Shotgun" Calls or Pick Order?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

I'm curious which people think is a better system for determining who picks their role first.

Most people are familiar with this already, but for those who are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitaro View Post
The "Shotgun Call" system is when the first person to identify that they want a role in chat is the one that receives that role.

In the "Pick Order" system, the person who appears highest in the champion selection order gets priority over what role they obtain. First pick you may pick whatever role you wish, second pick chooses from the remaining four roles, etc.
I'll leave my apparently overly-biased explanation as well. You have been warned:

The "Shotgun Call" system is that when people get into champ select everyone scrambles to type in the role they want first and whoever hits enter first gets that role. This can be somewhat confusing since it often one or two players won't connect as quickly and wont have earlier calls in their chat history which can result in heated arguments over who called what first.

The Pick Order system is basically that if you are first pick you may pick whatever role you wish, second pick chooses from the remaining four roles, etc. and last pick gets whatever role no one wanted. This system is very fair mathematically since it means that you have a 1/5 chance of being anywhere in the pick order each game and if you really can't stand being whatever is left for last pick you can dodge and likely pick higher next game. The weakness of this system is that because mid and top are very popular positions they are often first picked, resulting in being counterpicked. This can be reconciled through trading however.

Obviously the best system is that everyone talks it out and acts reasonable but since most players are seemingly incapable of doing so, I'm curious which of these systems people think is better.

I'd be interested to here what Riot thinks is the more correct system if either as well.

Discussion and bumping encouraged.

EDIT: For anyone who is in question, no I am not unbiased, I have an opinion about this, but I'm still hoping that this can be a civil, open minded discussion thread and that people wont shut down minority opinions with downvotes. Minority opinions are to be valued, even if we think they are wrong, because they help us to think critically.

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

bump for great sample size

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

Interesting that its been entirely Pick Order supporters thus far. It's always the other way around in soloqueue.

MorellosNerfBat

11-08-2012

I believe that pick order does take priority over calling.
however I do not mind role calling, as players will usually call roles that they want to play as that is their best role. The problem is not Calling of roles itself, its that people think calling roles entitles them to that role, which is just not true

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nhum4n View Post
I believe that pick order does take priority over calling.
however I do not mind role calling, as players will usually call roles that they want to play as that is their best role. The problem is not Calling of roles itself, its that people think calling roles entitles them to that role, which is just not true
I totally agree with you on this. This is the key to actually having a discussion with your team on who will play what.

Wodan

11-08-2012

I believe a Rioter said that Pick Order is more correct. At least, that's what's been spread on the forums.

In any case, even if we thought calling should be honored over pick order, there's no real way to enforce it. If you call a role someone can just ignore you and take the role because they get to pick before you and then you're stuck with the choice of either sticking to what you called or messing up the comp. Even though its technically the other person's fault for not talking to you about it, he's forced you into a situation where you'll look like the bad guy if you do pick what you called.

Obviously like you said talking it out would be better, but people are just going to pick what they want. Pick order is coded into the game and let's them do so and there's not really anything we can say against it.

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

Oh look we have two opinions now. I hope they will comment so we can get some friendly discussion going in here.

iblist

11-08-2012

You should never "call" a role. Inform your team that you would like to play a certain role. If you get that role, great! If not, play what is needed.

SP3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Neither, pick whatever you like and carry your team like a viking.

NeoLlama

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredgerd View Post
Interesting that its been entirely Pick Order supporters thus far. It's always the other way around in soloqueue.
the forum community is much smaller than the playing community as a whole and is in general much more enlightened when it comes to things like this.