Twisted Treeline AMA Recap

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Creamy Habanero

11-07-2012

No reason not to play teemo every game, every item you released is teemo friendly. An AP item that gives speed? An AP item that includes ANOTHER dot? An AD item that heals but hits like a madreds? Haven't lost with teemo, can't imagine he ever would.

Grommash

11-07-2012

From what I have seen, the new Twisted Treeline is not as creepy or Halloween themed as the old one. It looks a bit too modernized. But that is just my preference. Definitely love Vilemaw, however.

asamu

11-07-2012

Quote:
Rjcombo: The motivations were actually pretty straightforward. On the gameplay side we wanted to address the issues of champion balance and game length. On the presentation side we wanted to create the best looking map we've ever delivered, and reinforce the theme of the Shadow Isles as a flavorful, memorable region in Runeterra.
The game length "problem" was resolved, but champion balance was actually made worse due to the higher starting gold, altars, and removal of wards. The map now favors high CC/high mobility champions that are tanky enough to capture the altars reasonably easily and deal enough damage to be strong in 1v1: in other words, bruiser type champions are heavily favored on the map as it currently stands, while Mages and ADCs are severely limited due to a general lack of high mobility skills and being squishy, and pure tanks are not worth playing because they don't deal damage and generally lack mobility. In the original TT, champion balance was actually rather good; in fact, it was as good as, if not better than, 5v5 champion balance. There were very few champions that were not playable. Games could be long, but that is just part of the game, and with how altars work, snowballing gets out of control on the new TT, and snowballing is made easier for mobile tanky dps champions due to the lack of wards. With the new TT, you can't turtle effectively, which means that whichever team gets the lead early on wins with very few exceptions.
The only truly good thing that came with the new 3v3 map was the inability to blink over the wall to snipe the Nexus.

Quote:
Nome: One of the design points we noted very early on was that a small map could not support the level of warding and counter-warding that Summoner's Rift could due to the presence of natural choke points and limited pathways. We knew that wards had to go, so we pursued alternative schemes of vision control. One thing we toyed with was the idea of capturable lanterns – neutral wards that the player could control, either through channeling or lighting with a consumable "lamp oil.” This idea slowly transformed into the idea of altars as we added more tangible rewards and purpose to controlling them.

We experimented with every aspect of altar capture and rewards, but found that players universally enjoyed altars more when there was a sense of permanence to their capture. It also pushed the pace of the game, as you could capture an altar without fear that your progress would be reversed as soon as you left or died.
Yeah, put a speed shrine in the middle and make altars that give massive bonuses, but not allow wards and have ridiculously long lanes... That couldn't possibly be bad for balance... /end sarcasm

The lack of map vision is one of the main problems with the new map; as mentioned before, it just makes snowballing even stronger, and with the huge length of the lanes, there isn't any reliable way to stop snowballing, and ganking is almost too easy. With snowballing being so easy, if one team manages to capture both altars while they have a lead, it just becomes even more punishing, because the bonus gold and 10% AP/AD boosts have such a large impact.

The old map was better, Riot; you should really consider putting it back in and adding this one as a new map called Shadow Isles. Don't forget that removing the original Twisted Tree line screws up Maokai's lore, too.

Jxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-07-2012

Sorry, i didnt like the new map, i used to play ranked 3v3 very often... now i dont T_T

Those capture points took away the essence the game, now it is a priority to go and fight for these points, last game took us an hour... and its 3v3... T_T

Weswhat

11-07-2012

Bring old TT back to custom games! that excuse is such bs.

KevinDelMarr

11-07-2012

So if Altars are supposed to act like "Permanent Wards" in a way, why are they so easily avoidable? I just can't get over the fact there aren't wards. If SR had them, why shouldn't TT? It's hard being a "hardcore" supporter of old TT and moving into New TT when it's fundamentally moving away from 3-man Summoner's Rift into this weird variant. It's alright to be different, but when it moves away from the competitive and casual format into something different, it just doesn't feel the same. Maybe when the flow of taking towers and pressing advantages are brought to normal, and the death timers are moved back to a more cmnfortable almost Old TT level, I'll like it more. But right now it just feels awkward to play in relation to Old TT, whose problems seem rested more in map design than most other things.

New items are great, Vilemaw is a cool addition, but right now the map doesn't feel like a serious gametype. I don't want it to turn into a Dominion or back into a mis-designed Old TT

AsianOnboard

11-07-2012

Amazing rework. Amazing feedback. Can I hear a 4v4 map? (Probably not :P) But anyway, I love what you've done with one of my already favorite maps. Tournaments on it would be great

CreDes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Unlike most people who begin playing league on Summoner's Rift, my brother and I commenced playing on the 3v3 map about 2 years ago. The old Twisted Treeline was our home and although I love many of the changes Riot has inculcated to make the game better, this is not one of them. I must agree that the design of the new map is beautiful, but in our opinion it is no where near as enjoyable as the previous map. Vilemaw is the only exception. The new items and banning of old items is a huge disappointment. Prohibition of warding is a total let down. And the altars remind me too much of dominion (which honestly I don't enjoy). I would have hoped there was a way to fix the flaws of the old map without altering it beyond recognition. This is only our opinion, however. Wish we could play both maps.

Death Junior

11-07-2012

I miss the old TT :'(

TamOcello

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slymerz View Post
now make a Season 3 Twisted Treeline tourney!!!!

with Money

& Don't forget to do the same with Dominion

-Thank You
I can get behind this. Top Men Riot. Top Men.