Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-07-2012
17 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
So from reading a post from Morello, he stated that he does not believe in any form of hard counter and that the only thing possible should be a soft counter. your arguments seem to contradict each other.
Probably - but if your character has linear scaling and 100% physical damage - that's just going to be what happens. That's my own fault as Riven's designer that she gets hard-countered by armor.

Morello has to talk about very high-level of what is good for the game as a whole. Individual designs don't contradict that, it just means that the individual designs are flawed in that regard.

Darkterror69

11-07-2012

[QUOTE=Xypherous;31160581]Most likely. That's a problem with those specific characters doing all physical damage and not a problem with the overall strategic decision-making as a whole, in my opinion.

There'll be some slight tuning on resistances (because resistances are a little bit too cheap in our game overall) - but Talon / Riven were made essentially assuming that armor-stack should hard-counter them.

QUOTE]

The issue is definitely that armor is so cheap and easy to get, making characters like Talon VERY easy to shut down. I understand your point that armor stacking should hard counter him, but the prevalence of armor stacking bruisers in the current meta really leaves little place for Talon aside from hard-countering certain mid-lane champs.

Spleenseer

11-07-2012

Are you going to go back to designing champions after these item changes roll out? Most of my favorites were done by you and I'd love to see what else you've got in store.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-07-2012
18 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
What about Draven how does HE feel about the new BC.
Draven would probably prefer if someone else got it so he could stack AD and axe your face off. That AD Carry scaling.

Inmate Raditz

11-07-2012

sounds to me like op garen is going to be even more op.

as for the armour pen system thats really going to help on my riven and wukong play

and i cant wait for these patch's to go threw

IS11d6327cb35cafc124891

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economicz View Post
Honestly this makes LW sound so much better than Black Cleaver
insta 40% vs 5% each time stacking to a lower value
please, carefully listen to the red. he said a 5% nerf will happen for LW.

CynicalGiant

11-07-2012

Are you worried about Renekton at all with this new Black Cleaver? His E already has an armor shred mechanic, and how he get's even more of it. I guess people really can't counter him with armor anymore.

It also made me pretty happy when you actually mentioned him. He is my favorite creation of your's.

Irelia Bot

11-07-2012

So is it intended that Kayle can cause 36.35% armor Shred with this, her passive and Righteous Fury active to the entire enemy team?

Also does this effect work with Timat.

Jaigar

11-07-2012

To clarify intentions here:
1. Stacking Armor is supposed to counter flat AD or flat armor pen.
2. Stacking health preforms better than stack armor if the enemy has a good amount of % Armor pen and flat. Adding additional armor increases the effectiveness of health, but how much is needed is dependent on how much flat and % armor pen.
3. Stacking armor makes Health regen and heals more effective.
4. Stacking health adds effective health vs. all types of damage. Champions with % health as damage directly counter health stacking.
5. Ideal state is to have players adjust the amount of health and resistances they need depending on their own team comp and the enemies.

Same basic statements could apply to magic pen, but this is the gist of what I'm seeing. Basicly the new system will began to allow a more dynamic item gameplay. Point 3 isn't really an intention but a bonus of armor.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-07-2012
19 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
Are you worried about Renekton at all with this new Black Cleaver? His E already has an armor shred mechanic, and how he get's even more of it. I guess people really can't counter him with armor anymore.
Renekton's 'E' lasts 4 seconds. He typically can't kill you within that time.

However, you should probably run away if Renekton is partnered with like.. a carry - because yeah, the two of them working in concert will destroy your armor and then murder you.

Quote:
So is it intended that Kayle can cause 36.35% armor Shred with this, her passive and Righteous Fury active to the entire enemy team?
Righteous Fury is magical splash damage I believe.