Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eruka Frog

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Iíll answer your question if I can.
did you fire the guy who removed old malady and gutted stark's?

FoxysBack

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBD Skrillex View Post
Xypherous, I hope this doesn't mean that mages can get an item that stuns with a "point and click" type method for X amount of time, because that would make so many champions completely broken. Please reply!! =O
I doubt they would break the game that much. Think actives like Hextech Gunblade, except better.

Bigbearx2

11-07-2012

Hey guys! Was wondering if you would be changing how wards and potions would be placed in items on a champ. If I have a full build...I cant carry wards=silly? Or have I missed something?
And pathing...I still see other champs and myself sometimes get stuck on minions! eek!

brisingr12303

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipeCoconut View Post
I love the specialization. Sometimes I want to play a champion the way I want to play that champion, not the way everyone has to play that champion.
i cant agree with you more i hate having to be told i HAVE to play a champ this way to be good. i would rather play how i wanna play

nv77

11-07-2012

Please take into account malady into lategame, personally i think malady is one of the best item in the game super mid-game/late game item, sadly it doesn't improve that much of ap in the late game where you need stronger damages.

Please give it a late game improvement PLEASE

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-07-2012
2 of 29 Riot Posts

Today Iím going to talk about Armor Penetration and its effects on the scaling of our Attack Damage Casters class.

Letís take a look at one of the core items for this class Ė The Brutalizer:

Quote:
The Brutalizer
  • +25 Attack Damage
  • UNIQUE Passive: +10% Cooldown Reduction
  • UNIQUE Passive: +10 Armor Penetration
The Brutalizer has long been the trifecta of Attack Damage, Armor Penetration and Cooldown Reduction that these characters lean on for early game dominance. However, Flat Armor Penetration as a statistic overall has been pretty overpowered in compensation for the fact that items with the stat donít typically scale at all into the late game. This turns these characters into early-game gambit characters, out to dominate the early game as quickly as possible before they become irrelevant.

To adjust for this, weíre making two major changes:

1. Flat Armor Penetration and % Armor Penetration values are generally being lowered, but now Flat Penetration is calculated AFTER % Penetration

For example: Letís say I have 50% Armor Penetration and 20 Flat Armor Penetration versus a target with 120 Armor.

Currently, on Live, I would ignore 20 of his armor via Flat Penetration (100) and then 50% of the remainder, leaving him with 50 Armor.

After this change, I would ignore 50% of his armor (60) and then 20 of the remainder, leaving him with 40 armor.

In this manner, we can make sure that penetration values can be cost-effective for both late game and early game because now you have an option to synergize the two statistics together if you need to pierce large amounts of armor.

2. Brutalizer builds into more than one thing

Quote:
The Black Cleaver
  • +45 Attack Damage
  • +10% Cooldown Reduction
  • +10 Armor Penetration
  • Passive: Dealing physical damage to an enemy reduces their Armor by 5% for 6 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times on the same target.
Letís dig down into this item a little more. First off, the Black Cleaver now triggers off all physical damage. This means that spells and abilities can trigger the passive. In fact, letís look at a couple of our AD casters and see how this item works differently on them:

Pantheon, the Artisan of War

Spear Shot: Will trigger Black Cleaver once on a single target.
Aegis of Zeonia: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does magic damage.
Heartseeker Strike: Will trigger Black Cleaver three times in a cone, as it does physical damage to the target three times.
Grand Skyfall: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does magic damage.

Garen, the Might of Demacia

Decisive Strike: Will trigger Black Cleaver once, on a single target.
Courage: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does no damage.
Judgment: Will trigger Black Cleaver up to 6 times, in a circle around him, as it does physical damage 6 times.
Demacian Justice: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does magical damage.

So now, AD casters attempting to deal with highly armored opponents have a way to partially nullify the armor of targets they choose to fully commit to with all of their skills. However, they make a trade-off here; while Black Cleaver is highly effective at negating the effect of enemy armor, the Cleaver itself does not provide all that much Attack Damage as a whole. So your skills will be slightly less effective on targets with high health and low armor, simply because theyíll be doing less overall damage. Black Cleaver is incredibly effective at shredding targets with lots of armor, but doesnít really do well trying to kill a mage with Rod of Ages, for example.

What about Last Whisper? How does this work with Last Whisper?

Last Whisper grants you % Armor Penetration while Black Cleaver reduces the opponentís armor.

Letís look at an enemy with 400 Armor. Black Cleaver will reduce their armor by 25%, leaving them with 300. Last Whisper will allow you to ignore 40% of the remaining 300 armor, which means their effective armor against you will now be 180.

Last Thoughts

We hope that this change helps create a smoother scaling curve for many of our AD casters without causing them to utterly dominate and kill everyone. While these changes allow them to ignore armor much more effectively, the characters in question will be making heavy tradeoffs by simply not dealing as much raw damage as they could have with a B.F. Sword build against soft targets. Additionally, these iterations of The Brutalizer and The Black Cleaver allow our more spell-focused ranged carries like Corki or Graves to have a viable alternative to Last Whisper that will give them great utility if they find themselves on a team with lot of physical damage characters.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!

-Xypherous

YuShaa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

New items, new maps, new features, all well and good. But there's been an achievement tab grey'd out for quite some time...and I know i'm not the only one with an epeen who likes shiny things. how about we implement THAT into the game? Pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult, and it'd be nice to have something to strive for other than merely winning.

Averath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualHero View Post
Have there been and changes to Infinity Edge or Phantom Dancer or are there other choices for AD carries now?
Also, are you removing "free" movement speed increases from certain items, such as Phantom Dancer? For ADC it is currently the best offensive and defensive item in the game, considering it gives them MS as well as AS/Crit.

Multon

11-07-2012

Will we see any new jungler items such as madred's razors?

RHAPSODY OF FIRE

11-07-2012

VERY NICE ! TY RIOT