Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Strait Flexxin

11-07-2012

ok so... will the infinities edge be buffed or debuffed. this is what all yi's get... well most. i've see some yi's rush an infinities edge and get the most CS and champ kills in the match but still lose.
I would also like to know what you're going to use on the trinity force because this doesn't fit all of the AD champs. :/

Dirty Foot

11-07-2012

I understand that I will probably either be ignored or down-voted, but I just wanted to say my piece. I am generally happy with the direction this season seems to be going in, but I am afraid of one major thing that isn't being addressed.

I noticed that you mentioned gold, but only in the context of item stat values. This leaves me to think that you plan to fix the gp10/0CS support issue on the back-burner, or try and fix it with new itemization. Historically, I think we've already seen how that leaves support feeling less impactful (I know, not a real word) and without many item options. Has there been any discussion on changing the economy as a whole? Personally, I feel the heavy focus on "farming" during laning really takes away from the early meta strategy and causes players to play too passively.

Most of the hardcore players would likely laugh at me for being unskilled in last-hitting. Maybe they're right, maybe not. I honestly don't care what they think. What I do care about is the pretty boring game play during the first 10 minutes of every match. Maybe there isn't a directly understood causation for it, but I can tell you that farming has a highly positive correlation with boredom. The best, and most fun matches I've ever had during the "laning" phase were when people ignored farming. That's simply not acceptable in the grand scheme of things though, as the game economy favors hitting your enemies' minions at the right time, which means leaving enemy champions alone in order to increase time-on-target for farming.

That **** is boring.

MirrorFiend

11-07-2012

Right, not reading 30 pages of comments, so my apologies if these are repeated questions.

1) Are any of the new items for 3s coming to 5v5 in season 3?

2) Can you spoil any info/hints on these items?
-Haunting Guise
-Tenacity items besides mercury treads
-Spirit Visage

3) Are we seeing any specific item support for AP junglers?

Aceofgods

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Are you still going to keep the Doran's sell prices lower than average? Ever since the patch a forever ago, where Doran's items were changed to cost 475 instead of 425, their sell price remained at the 425 value.

This means that buying a Doran item and then selling it, leaves you with less gold than buying a different 475 item and selling it.

IS118d1c68b944ead659909

11-07-2012

Did you adjust Emblem of Valor or Heart of Gold, so Philosopher's Stone won't be only starting option for supports?
Heart of Gold as the another per5 gold item is just terrible alternative.
Emblem of Valor would be great except it does not provide per5 gold stat.

And did you created some alternative to these items?

And did you finally remove doran items? It is just relic from the starts of LoL which mimicked Dota items like Bracer and stuff, but it simply dont work as them, mainly because they are not built from cheaper parts.

Dirty Foot

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirrorFiend View Post
Right, not reading 30 pages of comments, so my apologies if these are repeated questions.

1) Are any of the new items for 3s coming to 5v5 in season 3?

2) Can you spoil any info/hints on these items?
-Haunting Guise
-Tenacity items besides mercury treads
-Spirit Visage

3) Are we seeing any specific item support for AP junglers?
I see what you're looking for, and I like it.

DemiluniS

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrilion View Post
Xypherous, can you tell us about any changes to less popular (never seen anyone build Eleisa's or moonflair) items such as: Eleisa's miracle, Haunting guise, Malady, Moonflair spellblade, Tiamat.
Haunting Guise and malady are actually really niche items, that mean they fit only a few champ really well (malady on teemo is super strong), those items can recieve an upgrade tho to make them even better

BRAVEYpl0x

11-07-2012

I missed you Xyph (;

MelodyOfIce

11-07-2012

Will you be allowing better itemization for melee carries (i.e. Fiora and Yi) that will allow them to stand up to the high mobility ranged adcs that currently dominate the meta?

Jumping Salmon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Breadth and Depth

We know that some of your favorite items might be affected by the coming update. Iíll be discussing many specific examples in depth leading up to the patch. If youíd like more information on a specific change, reply to the thread and Iíll answer your question if I can.
First of all, I'd just like to say I am very excited and can't wait to see some of these items! Being able to buy warden's mail (very gold efficient item) without having to buy Omen? Sign me up!

Anyways, my question stems from the role I play most (AP Carry). While I know it's cool to ask about spellvamping AD bruisers, etc, do you have anything lined up for some of the tankier AP mids? Champions like Brand, Malzahar, Elise, Fiddlesticks, Malphite, Morgana, Vlad, Rumble, Syndra, and Ryze are all champions that have to get pretty close to function properly. I feel like, barring some of them with natural defensive abilities/builds (Ryze, Rumble, Morgana, and Vlad), a lot of these Champions could benefit from a Movement Speed + AP item or a item with some resists + decent ap. Rylais gives you pseudo movement speed, but nothing that will actually help in the way I'm looking for.

Sometimes you get a champion like Elise, Malz, Fiddles, and Brand that literally explode the moment they get near an opponent, or simply never catch up to their prey. It really makes the role feel stagnant when your only options are Rod of Ages, Rylais, Abyssal, and Hourglass as tanky AP items. Moreover, if you're getting abyssal for the MR and aura you might aswell get haunting guise, too. That then just drags you in an entirely different direction (you'll want hat to maximize the guise) and you can see the frustration. Having to build GA as your most cost efficient resists item and get no ap from it feels bad. Buying Banshees for the hp/mr and getting no ap feels just as bad when the enemy Darius has his FMallet and Force of Nature/etc. I feel as champion design opens up, you're left with an under-performing role that's mainly due to itemization.

I also understand some champions (Ryze, Morgana, Rumble, and Vlad again) might be too good with more items to choose from, but I don't think this should effect what could be otherwise good champions/picks like Brand/Elise/etc.

Either way, thanks for your time and I can't wait to see more about what's to come!