Creative Design AMA - Zed, the Master of Shadows

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

11-06-2012
4 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
What was actually in the box so that it was "forbidden" while still being easily taught to any others to-be ninjas... I feel this one is a little bit weak, how can there be other shadowers when they haven't interacted with the box.
Had to ask 20thCenturyFaux for this one (the creative designer who worked on Zed)! Essentially, sealed within the box was forbidden knowledge. He's able to train others in his image because, having opened the box, it's essentially imprinted on his mind.

Part of the reason it was sealed away by Ionia was that it is trainable. Once it's unleashed, it has the potential to spread like wildfire--and someone wanted to keep it under control...

Quote:
I got a couple questions about him.
1.Why did he join the League?
2.Does his allegiance lie with Ionia?
3. Shen's bio says " Shen is one of these shadow warriors..." What is the difference between his shadow ways and Zed's?
1. To pursue the Kinkou and possibly to search for other techniques that have been hidden away.
2. He's from Ionia, Zed's allegiance lies with Zed!
3. This is one of the things we'd like to smooth out in Shen's bio once we revise it. By "shadow warriors," Shen's bio really just means "ninjas," but now that Zed's in the mix it's a fairly misleading detail. : )

Quote:
Is Zed's shadow sentient? If so, is that why the art of shadows is forbidden?

Would he ally himself with either Syndra or Diana? All three champs have similar situations in their backstories and might get along.
Perhaps--we'd like the nature of the shadow to remain mysterious for now.

Syndra perhaps. They both have similar goals for upheaval in Ionia; they both reject the concept of balance and restraint. Diana, likely not.

Quote:
how does zed effect akali and kennen?
Akali and Kennen remain Zed's enemies, but we have some interesting ideas about Akali's connection to Zed in particular.

Food for thought: Akali's passive is "twin disciplines," her title "the Fist of Shadow" ... hmmmm. : )

Quote:
Zed's name, when i looked it up, means "Justice of God". Looking at his backstory, it seems in some ways his intent was to deliver his own form of "Justice" against his master for banishing him in his youth and never really giving him the praise he desired. Was the name "Zed" and it's meaning intentionally picked for him or did you guys pick that name because it sounded unique and different?
Oh wow, really interesting info! To be honest, we chose the name because we liked it, but it's always awesome when the stars align like that.

Quote:
I got two questions :3

#1: What does he think of Master Yi and Wukong, and the Wuju Style in general.

#2: If the shadow arts weren't forbidden in the first place, and Zed was actually respected for training hard and honing his skill to where he could finally beat Shen in a straight up duel, could he had been replacing him in the Kinkou 3 with Akali and Kennen?
1. Should Wuju Style and its practitioners Yi and Wukong stand against Zed, he is certain he will be able to prove his superiority. They are nothing to him!

2. Perhaps, but I think something Zed fails to recognize is that being a member of the Kinkou requires more than physical skills alone.

Swippinfrafes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Do you think Zed enjoys killing, as in drawing it out and making them suffer, or does he think people deserve a quick, clean death? Does he have any philosophy on death, and do you think they will change given his eventual confrontations with champs like Morde, Hecarim, Yorick or Karthus?

Did he don his awesome mask before or after the incident with the master upon his return, or did he always go around wearing it? What I'm trying to say is, is there a motivation for him hiding his face or does he just do it because he's a (flippin') ninja?

Arrakasta

11-06-2012

Did Zed find it painful* having to kill his former master? I mean, almost all of his actions where to gain his approval, similar to what happens in a family when one brother overshadows the other, and thus, the other brother feels neglected and looks for a way to attract his parents attention.

*Painful in a spiritual way

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

When you designed Zed and his story and his maximum number of clones, did you envision him and his clones facing off against the three Kinkou ninjas in a dramatic stand-off? Was that part of the logic in granting him a maximum of three figures on the field at once--an ironic "balance" for his nemeses?

Dolphin PhD

11-06-2012

Do you like Power rangers? Because I like the fearsome Overlord Zedd!

And on a more serious note, this box, it is powerful just because it gives power. Can we expect more powerful items to appear within the lore?

And does he have any connections to the now crippled Doran?

blazerboy

11-06-2012

It's pretty obvious that Shen and Zed don't like each other, but what does Shen believe would be the correct path to take against Zed in order to maintain balance (ie: kill, capture, etc.). Also the lore says Shen was able to save at least part of the Kinkou order, but how was that possible if Zed's army was as large as the lore makes it sound?

adding on to this, if Zed is Akali's twin, which you certainly make it sound like, what does Akali think should be done with him, Kennen too

The Fizznity

11-06-2012

What does Zed think of Akali, the most shadow-inclined of the Kinkou?

Fluffington

11-06-2012

1 id the master kill Zed and then take his place so he could eventually lead all of the students down balance, being the hero they needed, or was it a shadow close on Zed's?

2: On a similar note, will Zed be featured in a story arc like the Shadow Isles or is he indie? I would like to see how this plays out.

3: Does this mean more ninja/energy focused items or champs?

Jonofthefunk

11-06-2012

OH! I just remembered one question I was gonna ask. What does he think of Lulu?

THE BUGGSHASH

11-06-2012

Since Zed and shen are "brothers" couldnt we get a legendary skin for both like akin to Street Fighter's Gouken and Akuma. That can really elaborate on the story between the two. I know skins are usually non cannon.. but i think there is an opprotunity.