I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gypsylord

Champion Designer

11-05-2012
40 of 65 Riot Posts

45:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRawr View Post
You be focusing on creating more Support champions? Is the Champion you're working on now a Support Champion? Also, welcome to the team! (Yes, I'm a little late ^.^) I don't think I have anymore at the moment, if I do I'll come back ;D.
I love support. Would love to make one. Can't say if my current champ is a support or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
You studied Theatre in college. Being a theatre major, I have to ask: What's your favorite play and/or musical and why?
Midsummer Night's Dream. IT'S HILARIOUS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raph772 View Post
I am thinking about potentially getting a job at riot, I would love to be on the live team or character design, what would be some things i could go about doing to improve my chances of being hired. Also how many hours a day would you say you don't work on your champ and when you do how work on her, how much time do you spend just thinking.
Get really good at something you're passionate about and show us how good you are at it. Also play a ton of games, preferably at a high level of competition. Also, know how to analyze games like LoL and WoW. What systems are good? What are bad? How would you fix them?

I work on my champ about 75% of each day. I spend a tooooon of time just thinking or talking to people about her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gholdenman View Post
If you could give any champion a Teemo ability, what would it be and why?
Nidalee traps are now mushrooms. Umad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenfaL View Post
Did you play games every day before getting hired by Riot?
'Erry day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaoShiki View Post
Odds we can get more machine champions? Is anything like that, or more machine-ized champions, in the works? Mecha Kha'Zix, Battlecast Cho'Gath, Space Marine Jayce (Or whatever it's called) Are all things that I felt compelled to purchase cause I love goddamn robots, anymore in the pipes?

Edit: Also, why is GD so filled with Sexism/racism/homophobia? It's discouraging, bro.
More machine champs/skins are certainly not out of the question. Can't say whether or not we have any lined up currently.

On the internet people are anonymous. That means they won't get punched in the face or lose social capital if they make an ass of themselves. Lot's just do it to get attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMiTzNhan View Post
Zyra ain't a support.
Azubu Blaze begs to differ.

uMad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Arçadius View Post
Can you please take a look at this thread gypsy?

It has been around for a long time and I'm pretty disappointed it hasn't gotten Riot attention.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2182697

Volibear has been left in the dust ever since his initial nerfs to his only powerful ability and hardly anyone wants to talk about Volibear.
Hmm Volty would probably be the better guy to ask about everyone's favorite armored bear. I've always felt that one of his problems is the lack of any super unique mechanics on his kit. He does a lot of things well, but there's no reason to put him on a team over certain other champs.

Pizza on a Bun

11-05-2012

How much do you like Teemo?

Lumaral

11-05-2012

What do you need to work in Riot? I mean... I'm studying music and want to work in creating the soundtracks of games. I'm also a good artist regarding drawings and paintings, I loooove the whole process of the concept art making.

Jerry Sandusky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2012

Dartmouth eh? Please tell me you didn't eat the vomlet.

The Freakshow

11-05-2012

I think your name is awesome and your avatar is fantastic too. I would love to play games with you. Would you be willing to play some games with me? :3

Calderweiss

11-05-2012

This is fantastic too. Dat yi http://i.imgur.com/CzpZr.jpg

gypsylord

Champion Designer

11-05-2012
41 of 65 Riot Posts

46:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkSammich View Post
What position did you apply for?
Design Assistant,
Champion QA,
Marketing,
Finance,
Video production

They ended up giving me an interview for a design position and then hiring me on as a full fledged designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkhon View Post
What kind of process do you guys go through before determining whether or not a global ultimate is a legit thing on a champion. Everybody can agree that Karthas ult is really annoying, especially for new players, and that Shen is mostly banned because of his global presence... Are global ults something you guys are trying to steer clear of, or can we expect another new and interesting global ult, or a take on one (such as Ziggs being not global, but pretty rangy) in the future.
I'd say Ziggs ult is the "safe" way to do global ults. It still gives that long range feel with out the sheer power that's included with a true global.

That said, I don't think true globals are inherently "bad." Yes, it sucks to get killed by Karthus it, but it feels AMAZING for Karth and his teammates when he gets those kills. Super fun to watch in a tournament too. Karthus' R is one of the most satisfying button presses in our game IMO. True globals aren't out of the picture, just need to find one that works (eg is super cool) and balance a champ around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWeirdYordles View Post
-Why you say "Wrengar"?

-Have you considered to make a yordle champion riding a dragon?...or maybe Two weird Yordles as one CHAMPION?
Reflexes

A mounted Yordle would be pretty freaking awesome. Lol...yordle riding a yordle....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalonicous View Post
Who was your first champion that you had a hand in designing?
Still working on her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3mium View Post
Question I suppose:
You said earlier you like anime. Yu Yu Hakusho? Best anime of all time? (maybe not dbz cause that was and will always be my childhood show).
Haven't seen it I like anime but I don't have a lot of time to watch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbat View Post
Also related, if you have an idea that you cannot complete due to lack of resources or skills, do you feel it is still a viable plan to complete what is within your capability? More honest, less shameless-plug question.
If we have a good idea that lacks resources we put it on the backburner until we get those resources or reevaluate whether or not it is actually that good of an idea. Kha'zix was like this. He required a lot of tech that we didn't have when he was initially concepted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Lee View Post
I was just reading through your comments and you mentioned that you would be keen to see more ethnic diversity on the champion roster. I know that IronStylus as said the same thing too and I was just wondering if you could tell me anyting more about Riot's thoughts on this issue.

I agree with you that it's undesirable to just have a "token black guy" champion and that if Riot is going to make a black champ, they should work conceptually and be just as baddass as the white and Asian champs we already have in the game. But other games like Dota have proven that it's possible to include darker skinned characters in this kind of fantasy game and they don't have to be stereotypical or problematic. A good example is Chen.

Do you think that Riot might consider designing these types of champions in the future, and what do you think some design challenges could be? Would you ever take on the design project of making a darker skinned champion?

I know that quite a few players are interested in this issue, including myself and Eserine, and have been trying to open up a bit of discussion in the forums.
I can't say much more than I already have. :X

The main thing is that, yes, we are thinking about these issues. When we find something that works we won't hesitate to put it into the game.

MrHarz

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Azubu Blaze begs to differ.
There's a difference between the 0 CS botlane position and a Support champion.

Anyone can do the former with any champion (except maybe Morde.)

Saying Zyra is a support because Azubu Blaze play her bottom is like saying Lee Sin is an AP Carry because Froggen plays him mid.

YouOnlyyoLoOnceX

11-05-2012

Something completely unrelated to the game and a personal question.

As a recently added employee to the Riot Gaming staff, with no experience in game development or computer science (At least by what you've said in your short mini-bio) what would you say were some of your best qualities / accomplishments that helped you get hired there? I would love to work at Riot and I am currently a Senior in college graduating with a Bachelors in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics.

Chun Li

11-05-2012

Gypsy! It's been a while.

How's the champion going? Run into any nasty bugs?

Also is she a support!? <3