Does the shop need re-balancing?

Yes, quite a bit of re-balancing. 34 47.22%
Yes, some minor re-balances. 24 33.33%
No, the shop is fine how it is. 12 16.67%
Indifferent; I could care less. 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

One MAJOR flaw...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deathcrow

11-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by holySpork View Post
2.1 I will not comment on the riot point cost of things because I am rather poor right now and will not be purchasing any for awhile.
But that's what most complaints are about (besides the 6K IP issue): Champions and IP/XP boosts are too expensive (in RP). You are right that unlocking Champions with IP should be an effort, but buying them with RP should be a viable alternative, and not even more ridiculous than grinding.

xilr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2009

The cost of LoL + the champion bundle is on par with other professional entertainment software. Just look at it that way. You must spend about $50 to get the full game. Dont try to by individual heroes or you will lose money. I doubted Riot Games at first when it was looking like we'd have to spend ...lots.... of money for the full game, but then when they announced the bundle and made runes only availible with IP I came to the conclusion that they really are trying to be fair and competitive. My dealings with customer service have been positive also.

So far, I'm impressed.

DayKnight

11-22-2009

i cant say that riot games with the LoL team aren't trying to make this game a good one and gather a good community. And i have to say, buying characters does sound kinda amusing.
However, i for one, am not yet bored of dota. So i can get HoN and enjoy it and it will be cheaper. Sure, LoL is inovative, offers all new characters, and i really like the game. But really, does the fact that i've only played the game for about a month, probably less, mean that i will ,by default, have much less features that people who played for a longer time?
I (and i bet a lot of other people) play this game for fun. What good is a good game if i cant have fun with it? I don't want to play a game where i'm limited in choice only cause i'm new to it.

Kahrumar

11-22-2009

The "completely free if you want it to be" tactic is a great marketing idea in general. Although this will attract quite a bit of players, (even I thought about buying a bundle only to learn Europeans can't buy anything from the US side). Here is where your marketing strategy has a major flaw; you are making a bundle much more desirable than let's say buying all the heroes one by one to provoke people buying bundles even tho they want 4-5 heroes to play with. We all think "what the hell I'll just pay a couple of more bucks and I can get much more diversity and play more heroes when I'm bored.

It's all fine til now, but I have like around 200 games under my belt now and coupled with runes I couldn't get the 3 heroes I like since there are some sick legendary prices. Well let's say that is fine since in the end it is free, the real flaw of your strategy comes from some single champions being 7-8$, which is quite frankly, really really steep. Studied marketing for a while and even if I didn't, with some basic knowledge of the market behaviour I could say prices around 4-5$ for legendary heroes (I won't discuss some heroes being overpriced but Karthus mega legendary? wth guys) can improve your sales by a huge amount, the 7-8$ has a psychological effect to it as well that makes people go WTF GUYS?? (which I'm sure wouldn't happen if it was cut down by 3-4$, apart from that since people actually can afford the heroes, they can now go for skins etc as well) Personally I can afford these prices, but there is just no way I'm paying the mega legendary price for a single hero, because let's admit it even the most creative hero gets old after a while. (this is the thing I'm talking about people won't pay this price EVEN if they have the money cause it feels like they're being robbed - not actually robbed but you get the point)

You can and most likely will keep the bundle prices still more advantegous but some of these prices HAVE to go down for your own good and of course, ours.

Vichar

11-22-2009

It is possible that Riot marketing folks didn't realize exactly how much fun it is for people to experiment with different champions, and therefore suggested that the average player is only going to want to permanently unlock their favorite champion. When the store opened, I had maybe 11,000 IP saved up, so I could have purchased any 2-4 champions that I wanted. They probably based their projections on something like this. With this kind of thinking, only folks that really wanted to experiment with a lot of champions would need to unlock with Riot points.

Also, it bears mentioning that until you play as a champion, you are really handicapping yourself when you play against that champion. For example, I used to let Ashe push me back in the lane because I was afraid of getting hit by her ult and then permaslowed to death. After playing as her for just one game, I realized that she is a fragile glass cannon that is easily chased away by even moderate damage.

In a sense, Riot is a victim of their own success in making the game intriguing to explore. I honestly would have priced things the way they did before I started spending some serious time playing the game. After playing, you almost have to go with one of the bundles if you want to stay competitive--the pricing structure to unlock champions individually is probably impractical for the serious player.

GG Crono

11-22-2009

I'm not one to whine, but I have to agree that the prices for the high-end champions are a bit unreasonable. For the price of 3-4 of them, you could just buy the collector's pack, and some people would like to unlock their favorite heroes for a reasonable price without needing to do that.

Thatgooey

11-22-2009

I managed to play about 80-90 games after the last reset. Some days I didn't even play a game, and other days I played for a few hours with friends and managed, in the timeframe, to accumulate 14,000 IP. When the shop was released, I unlocked the only heroes that I really play. Most heroes I don't even bother playing them, because I have my own playstyle, and only a few characters suit that. So I am perfectly fine spending my 7k points or whatever it took me.

That is how free-to-play works. It takes a good deal of time to get things. There are a lot of free FPS games and MMORPG games that use this same game model. They are a business and need to make money. MOST games allow you to have access to either all, or nearly every bit of content that is available. However, if you pay money, you have the ability to aquire things much faster. I don't know why people are surpirsed by the prices and marketing teqniques of RIOT. They aren't doing anything new. It's the same thing that every other game has done, since, forever, that has been free-to-play. Your demands can only go so far when it comes to in-game content pricing, when the game you are playing is relatively high quality and free of charge. That doesn't mean, however, that the company will make prices so high that people will not play. But they can't make them to low, or there will be very little incentive to spend money.

This game really isn't about playing a different champion every game. I found that out real quick. It's much funner to pick a few select champions that have different playstyles that you can master. This way you can be useful to your team in any build and not feel like you are hurting your team due to the fact that you not comfortable with your spells. I don't get the fuss over "well to buy EVERY SINGLE CHAMPION". Really? Who actually plays EVERY single champion on a regular basis? I've been playing for quite a bit now and there are still 2-3 champs that I haven't even bothered playing.

Daybreak

11-22-2009

yeah im confused on how to buy the collector's edition and champion bundle for 45 dollars without having to pay a total of 50 dollars to get the rest of riot points

Deathcrow

11-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgooey View Post
This game really isn't about playing a different champion every game. I found that out real quick. It's much funner to pick a few select champions that have different playstyles that you can master. This way you can be useful to your team in any build and not feel like you are hurting your team due to the fact that you not comfortable with your spells. I don't get the fuss over "well to buy EVERY SINGLE CHAMPION". Really? Who actually plays EVERY single champion on a regular basis? I've been playing for quite a bit now and there are still 2-3 champs that I haven't even bothered playing.
Don't tell us how we should play the game and have fun. Thanks!

Shaky010

11-22-2009

IMHO I think that the pricing is fair. Really if you think about it some people are going to pay it and some are not. If you play enough you will be able to unlock it. If you could unlock everything have the best of everything in a matter of weeks the game would get dull and you would stop playing. You will probably find that the pricing will go down in time and as new champions come out they will be priced higher.

Its a give take relationship if you can think of it that way. Riot gives you a game for free, you can get all characters and all runes for free, but only if you spend heaps and heaps of time doing so. Or you can support their hard work and the people that will try to get everything for free and buy some stuff. Depends on how desparte you are really i guess.

Like I said though its my thoughts on the matter and I believe they have done right.