All those threads talking about role-queuing.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rildur X View Post
i would rather wait for a quality game with players that understand their roles. 2 minute queues for 40 minute fail/thrown games are no fun and hardly competitive.
There's nothing about your idea that even remotely guarantees the gameplay would be better.

1) People who'd like to play ADC but will let their team talk them into playing another role can now queue specifically for ADC and get that role, even if they're terrible at the role. The same goes for every role, and as a result, the quality of games stays about the same.

2) There's nothing to stop a troll for queuing as support, which would surely have the shortest queue time, and still show up in the lobby and claim "mid or feed" as he does now.

3) The meta was not given to Moses by God on top of some mountain. It's changed before; it can change again. Queuing by role locks people into the meta and stifles creativity.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Snort View Post
Also: being a ****** and patronizing to anyone who wants to breach an obviously very popular topic... telling us we are retarded and idiots for bringing it up? Not cool. Obviously if people are bringing up a topic <gasp> MAYBE just MAYBE this topic is important to a lot of people and needs discussion and solutions. The current system is FAR from perfect and batting your little girly eyelashes, calling everyone down about it, isn't making the system better. It just makes you an *******. Congrats.
The point is the topic is brought up numerous times per day, the idea is always shot down as bad because it's full of numerous, numerous problems, and yet another handful of people will create their own set threads dealing with this identical topic.

Half of the posts are the original post trying to explain why his idea is good, and the other half are from various other people explaining all the various reasons why the idea simply does not work. And most of the original posters in these threads will either admit ignorance to the existence of other threads on the topic or will even outright say "I'm sure there are other threads on this topic, but..."

And those of us who see all these reasons why the idea is really, really bad and has a lot of really obvious flaws are getting tired of reposting the same stuff over and over.

So now, instead of the conversation being spread across numerous threads per day, everyone who opens one of these threads gets a link back to this thread where the information has all been consolidated into one place. They can read through all the points and counterpoints that would've been made in their thread, and if they think they have something original, they can add to the discussion, but the fact of the matter is, when a new thread is created, we're not adding to the discussion. We're just catching another person up on the long discussion that's happened over and over numerous times already.

Snort, you idea at least ADDS to the discussion, and I (along with others) would be willing to discuss the pros and cons of your discussion here, in this thread, but we REALLY don't need yet ANOTHER thread on basically the same idea, do we? Do we really?!

And look, if any idea that all of us can agree is solid and flawless comes out of this discussion, one of my three posts at the top of the thread will be edited to include that idea so that Riot can see it and perhaps we can get a change.

But I'll guarantee you this, opening another 5 new threads tomorrow, and 5 more the day after that, and another 5 the next day, and these all die out over and over again? That's not the way to get the attention of a Red.

OriginalJack

10-31-2012

I'll bump because I think it will cut down on the number of pointless threads.

I really don't like the idea of queing for a specific role because I honestly don't care what role I play as long as it's a good game (as a result I play a lot of support but nobody wanting to support is another topic entirely).

I'm a little curious how picking your role before you queue would work in draft mode. Like if I'm first pick for example I would rather not go top or mid so that I don't get countered but if I queued up in advance for it I could end up picking first leaving myself open to a bad matchup.

(sidenote- Pogo, have you considered doing this for a couple other topics I've seen creep up way too often?)

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJack View Post
(sidenote- Pogo, have you considered doing this for a couple other topics I've seen creep up way too often?)
Such as Elo hell?

What are some other suggestions you have?

The thing with Elo hell threads is that I tend to think most of the time these are more rant threads than anything else. Moreover, for whatever reason, I feel like I see fewer same-day Elo hell threads. With Elo hell, for whatever reason, if another summoner comes along, they seem to be more likely to issue their rant in an already existing thread. And while I think the case against Elo hell is actually strong than the case against role-queuing, I think, for whatever reason, the Elo hell believers are less convinced by that argument, whereas the result of a lot of role-queue threads is that the OP starts to see the other side of the argument.

So I don't know. If I see other threads get problematic, perhaps I'll offer more database style threads like this in the future, but for right now I want to just tackle this role-queuing issue and see if this thread is a success (both in terms of the discussion that takes part in the thread, and the eventual dying out of new threads).

Rokkr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2012

Posted in a different thread before seeing this one:
"I enjoy the idea of this, but implementation would ruin the game.

Yes there is a "meta" of roles and 99% of games (in my ranked experience so far) fall pretty close into the meta. But forcing the meta by locking into a position (or a few) and possibly being punished for not saying you could support with a 10minute wait time only to find out the guy who did say he could support is actually not going support at all would suck 1000x worse then the current system.

LoL's queues are fast, you get in and hopefully work out roles in champ select, every summoner should be able to play every role in Ranked, if it's not ranked then go something your good with in a position you get stuck with and learn from it.

Dungeon Queues were one of many things that absolutely ruined the fun of WoW for me. It took so much away from the community (finding people for a group, actually having to socialize, traveling to the location to see the beautiful World, the advantage of a guild to do stuff with instead of for "perks", even learning from failure). It also made getting a dungeon group actually wayyyy worse for every single DPS in the game which of course was the majority of players.

Please Riot do not implement this.

Better regulations for trolls in champ select (recording and reviewing champ select chat) and a more open mind to trying things slightly beyond the "meta" solves this problem."

Gj pogo, sorry i bumped the thread you posted in after you made this.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-04-2012

Bumping.

RvK DrEaMz

11-04-2012

Ok, I have a question.
I've played Teemo as a main for a while (a few months), and I feel he gives the team a great advantage as a solo mid. But alot of people prefer him to be bottom lane. I feel that as a bot he just takes to long to get in the action during laning phase. Dont get me wrong his damage output is very good, but he just gets outmatched in most situations. Do I need to rely on my team to carry me until I can hold myself or do I mid?...

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-04-2012

Huh? How is that related to this thread?

RvK DrEaMz

11-04-2012

Posting on the wrong thread like a boss :>
Much Love <3

Wolvenlight

11-05-2012

I would LOVE this system! Because I'm one of those healers everyone can't find. I'd NEVER go unappreciated!

(lolyeahright)

In all seriousness, I like the way the queue system is done now, but that's probably because I play most everything. Any change to the queue system in higher ELO is unnecessary since people who've gotten that far tend to know what they're doing when it comes to picking roles and champions. Lower ELO wouldn't really appreciate a change to the system. Most ideas I've heard on this subject seem to benefit a small amount of people while causing more issues than they fix.

But for the sake of discussion... Two ideas.

1) Instead of picking a single role before you start, the "Match Me With Teammates" button opens a checklist of roles that you can pick and choose from. Not lanes, but AP, AD (ranged), Bruiser, Support, Other, Tank, Jungler, and other roles. This checklist is saved and optional, so you can either choose to change it from game to game, or just have one more button to click to start up the queue.

You can pick as many or as little roles as you want. The more you have, the quicker you'll get matched with a team, for obvious reasons. Leave them all blank to have them all checked, so to speak.

2) The only other idea I can think is just a much more complicated version of the first one. It would be an optional list of preferred roles that the queue might take into consideration, creatable perhaps on a Summoners profile page. It could have all the current roles; ranged ad, ap, jungler, bruiser, etc. I don't think including lanes would be a good idea since including them would do a lot more to stifle creativity than picking roles, but they could be there too. An "Other" category would have to be an option, or perhaps a fill in the blank, to encourage experimentation, as well as naming a role that might show up overnight that there won't yet be a name for. It wouldn't really serve a purpose unless it's near the very top and what's put in the blank is the same as other peoples blank (For those popular roles that pop up because people saw it in a tourney, a la Roamer.)

As for roles you aren't comfortable playing, just don't include them on the list. Put the ones you can play in the order you like to play them.

So anywhere from A to Z, an arbitrary list might contain.

A) Support
B) Jungler
C) Tank
D) Hybrid
E) AP
F) Roamer
G) AD (ranged)
H) Spawn Karthus (Other)
I) Tank Soraka (Other)
J) AP Garen (Other)
I) There is no I (Other)

Every (arbitrary number) seconds of wait time the queue includes more of the list.

---

For both systems, whether or not other people can see or look at this list from Champion Select is up to people a lot more invested in this discussion than I am. I'm really just here playing devils advocate on an interesting topic, as I like the way it is currently... But if people think a change is necessary, then this is the only system I can think of that wouldn't increase wait times into the quadruple digits. Even then, it would STILL increase wait times, just not as much as a system where you pick a single role you want to play before you start. But any new system I can foresee would have unintended detriments, the most prominent being shortage of supports, as well as people not wanting to NOT have a support (As opposed to a roamer or some other role. If the queue can't find a support, it would have to throw in something else, or have two of a role if there is a shortage of those something else's as well.)

How would the queue handle that? Good question, have fun answering it, I'm off to bed.