The Law Of Role Playing (Oc)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sailor Venus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-30-2012

I personally don't agree with the whole 'downvote because I disagree', but that's because I'm allergic to the color red and I break out in hives whenever spellcheck tells me I spelled something incorrect. I have to agree with Skarner in that static champions are no fun to play. Plus, if there was no such thing as development, everyone would be confined to their own ask threads (which some people are anyway) and being asked the same questions over and over again. Part of answering is development.

Nobody likes stagnation. :V


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grand Viper

Senior Member

10-30-2012

I think a law that should be implemented is gumdrops.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Graveman

Senior Member

10-30-2012

Here's a question that boggles alot of people's minds:

If fan fiction writers are allowed to portray the characters that Riot made in anyway possible, why do we give ourselves flak for doing the same? It's commendable to portray the character the way they were intended but I don't understand why we treat this differently than other fiction of a character or setting.

I'll let that sink in for a few minutes so you can recollect your thoughts.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rumblé

Senior Member

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Graveman View Post
Here's a question that boggles alot of people's minds:

If fan fiction writers are allowed to portray the characters that Riot made in anyway possible, why do we give ourselves flak for doing the same? It's commendable to portray the character the way they were intended but I don't understand why we treat this differently than other fiction of a character or setting.

I'll let that sink in for a few minutes so you can recollect your thoughts.
My post may seem a bit sloppy and poorly thought out because I wrote this pretty quickly and didn't feel like revising it. So yeah, feel free to rip it apart, call me an idiot, but I'm gonna use an old high school teenager excuse: "It's 12:30 AM, I'm freaking tired, and I'm too lazy to write a 5-page essay on comparing the ideas between Confucianism and Daoism."

So instead, I'm writing an essay comparing fanfiction and roleplaying. Great logic, Rumble.

Anyways, that's a great question. Why are fanfic writers allowed to warp the champions however much they want to, but us roleplayers aren't? Let's take this into a more philosophical context and determine this first: What are the similarities and differences between roleplaying and fancfic writing?

Let's start with the similarities first.

See, in fanfic writing, you're taking one of Riot's character and putting it into your own story. Let's take an important part of that sentence out: "Your own story." Sure, you're using one of Riot's champs, but you're using them in your own story. You are the writer, so you decide how the events of your own story will turn out and how accurately or inaccurately you want to develop the character. Same deal in roleplaying. When you choose a champ, you are putting yourself into their shoes. You control how the champ will develop. Riot has created a champ, and since you have taken it, it is up to you how you want to develop that character.

Now, let's get to the fun part. Let's contrast the two.

In fanfic writing, you've got a champ and you get to portray that champ however you'd like. Same deal with roleplaying, we just went over that. However, what has not been considered is the general populace that reviews the fanfiction and the roleplaying. Okay, that probably sounds choppy and confusing as hell, so I'll just simplify it into this: We need to consider the people that reads and criticizes the fanfiction and the roleplaying.

So let's consider them.

People aren't as harsh on character development in fanfiction as they are in roleplaying, and there's a reason for that. See, there's a whole ton of fanfiction out there, and a bunch of them are about the same characters. Let's make a hypothetical situation here. If I wrote a fanfic about Rumble, and made him a bisexual yordle who frolics in the daises and makes out with Heimerdinger day and night, then of course I'm going to get a hellton of complaints about that. However, aside from the "your fanfic sux" comments, no one really cares about what I wrote. The reason for that is because there's other fanfic out there that's a billion times better than mine, and people could just read those fanfics instead. There's a bazillion fanfictions about every champion in the league, and at least one of them is bound to be superb.

Not the same deal when it comes to roleplaying.

We've established that people don't care if you write a ****ty fanfic because there's better ones out there instead. However, in the realm of roleplaying, there is only one champion being roleplayed at a time. If a person sucks horribly at roleplaying their champ, we can't just make a duplicate of that champ and RP it at the same time. We have a system in these forums where only one champion may be roleplayed at a time. And if that person sucks? We either have to tell that person what he's doing wrong and how to fix it, or we kick that person out. I'm sure most people don't like doing the latter option. See, roleplaying is criticized while fanfic isn't, because the champion RPer must appeal to the greatest amount of people possible, or at least to a reasonable amount. There can only be one RPer for each champion, so we have to deal with how they portray their champions. If they don't portray them well, then we've got a problem.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Graveman

Senior Member

10-30-2012

Everything I agree with except the final paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblé View Post
And if that person sucks? We either have to tell that person what he's doing wrong and how to fix it, or we kick that person out. I'm sure most people don't like doing the latter option.
Yes it'll suck, but doing what is necessary isn't always the easiest thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblé View Post
See, roleplaying is criticized while fanfic isn't, because the champion RPer must appeal to the greatest amount of people possible, or at least to a reasonable amount.
You'd be surprised by the amount of both positive and negative feedback fan fiction writers in general get.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblé View Post
There can only be one RPer for each champion, so we have to deal with how they portray their champions. If they don't portray them well, then we've got a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Graveman
Yes it'll suck, but doing what is necessary isn't always the easiest thing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MatHet

Junior Member

10-30-2012

Well wrote, Rumble, however I'd like to add something to the topic myself.

You see, the other difference between fan fiction and roleplaying a champion is the fact, that in fanfiction you've also control over a whole world around that champion and you don't have to keep with any rules or opinions of others of how you develop it. Basically continuing the example mentioned above, the world the story takes place in would probably not see anything wrong with RumblexHeim and such.

Being a roleplayer is a bit different story, because you're not making the world your story takes place in but you're only it's part. One of many. It's a bit like one big fan fiction wrote in collaboration by dozens of writers. If everyone of them is going to do what the hella he wishes then there will be one big mess. And my guess is, that it wouldn't end good for overall roleplay here, would it?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rumblé

Senior Member

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Graveman View Post
Yes it'll suck, but doing what is necessary isn't always the easiest thing.
Kicking the champion RPer out isn't always the necessary thing to do though. No one likes being kicked out, and no one likes to be the one to kick an RPer out. If that champion RPer sucks, we've got to help him improve or else he's going to keep sucking. See, in the fanfic world, we aren't bound to the world that the author writes. However, in roleplaying, we're putting ourselves into summoner or champion shoes and setting ourselves into the world of Runeterra. When we do this, we've got to deal with who roleplays which champion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Graveman View Post
You'd be surprised by the amount of both positive and negative feedback fan fiction writers in general get.
That was bad wording on my part, sorry. I'll put it this way: Fanfiction is criticized, yes, but authors still have more freedom to portray the champs. When it comes to fanfic writing, the champions are set in the author's own little world, which gives the author much more freedom to develop the champion and the story. Each fanfic has its own world where the author chooses how everything will play out.

Roleplaying isn't the same, because everything that goes on here is set onto one world. I've already stated this before, but we have to deal with how a person RPs a champion. This is one world we are in, where only one of each champion is being acted out at a time. In the realm of fanfic, there's a gazillion worlds where champions are allowed to be portrayed in anyway possible. Unfortunately, we can't do that in roleplaying. We've got one world to shape, so we can't have anyone screwing up majorly.

...Great, now I'm basically just repeating what the person above me said. Sorry 'bout that, Mat! ^_^;;


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dear Chogath

Senior Member

10-31-2012

I think that the major problem with the Rp community is that it has overarching rules that apply to all threads.I think that only the thread creator should be able to create rules about the RP he or she has created a thread for. As you said if this were applied to Ask champions then there would be many of them. However, some will be better than others and eventually few will remain because lets face it if no one is posting on your ask champion thread then it will eventually get buried. People say that this would cause too much confusion but no one has ever tried it before. Eventually this system would put more power to the person creating a thread than the people who have already made one. This is good as it encourages new people, something this portion of the forums lacks. If this was done and free reign was given to all people than only those that were the best/most interesting will remain as ask champions. No longer would people without ask champions see those with them as entitled to something they are not; just because the community says so. It would be measured by the skill of the person and their ability to communicate well with others. As for the one world thing above me I again look to the OP. The OP decides what world their RP is in not those outside of it. Continuity in this forum is already terrible to be putting it lightly so such concerns from that direction mean nothing.

P.S I'm also tired of threads that are being posted that have nothing to do with RP.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tjihyana

Senior Member

10-31-2012

There's one thing I just worry about the system you propose there Cho...

Those who have absolutely no grasp of their character or roleplaying, but still stick around even if no one pays true attention to them postwise, just annoying everyone. And well... the current system is working fairly well right now in my opinion. Also... think about the champions that are loved, are not the most complex characters in lore. Those like Draven, who cares mostly about getting the spotlight. Think how many possibly good Dravens we would have, how would you choose who to post things to? Either you post to everyone, or ignore multiple fairly good RPers for that one. I just think there's no reason to change the current system, since it's working it's intended purpose, in my opinion at least.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wizerdlol

Senior Member

10-31-2012

Man... everyone has ALOT to contribute...
All I can think about is candy...
Stupid mustache