[Guide] Tank Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miyamiya

11-06-2009

I'm not an expert on the mechanics, but I believe that almost every ability doesn't apply "on hit effects" like lifesteal or the slow, even if it does use weapon damage in the calculation of how powerful it is. The one exception I know of is Gankplank's Pistol Shot, and it says on the tooltip that it can crti/apply effects.

As for frozen mallet, there are several advantages:

1. It is always a 40 percent slow, instead of the 15 percent slow from some abilities.
2. It is easier to permanently slow your targets by repeated applying the effect.
3. You can build phage early game.
4. More HP than Rylai.

And several disadvantages:

1. No AoE slow on Death Lotus.
2. Shunpo guarantees a slow with Rylai, with Mallet you need to autoattack right after.
3. Less damage than Rylai.

In my opinion both get the same job done about as well. I wouldn't be concerned about losing a 15 percent AoE slow, as they can run out almost as fast or just interrupt the effect.

A third option would be Trinity Force, but I haven't tested that at all. The main benefit would be a free crit after every Shunpo while having a decent slow effect. It would be interesting if this stacked with Lichbane, especially with cooldown runes, but somehow I doubt it works that way lol.

Edit: Changed "and" to "especially with"

thegamenet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-06-2009

nice guide man - I am adding it to www.thelolwiki.com

Deu5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2009

This build is amazing, i tried it couple of times and it ROCKED !!! After the patch Kat AP style is gone down the hill, so i tried this one, and it worked. I just Shunpo over and over and over again, till they died, TOWERHUGING. And i had just about enough health to keep farming and regen.

I went Regrowth->Warmong->Tabi->Phage->Mejai's->Frozen->Banshee->Unfinished bloodthirster.

Had to take banshee coz i got alot of disables on the oposite team. But i tell you one thing, after Warmongs at as soon as minute 12!!!!! i farmed the rest on chap kills.... Thats about it.

THX alot for the guide, i would've stoped playing Kat, but she just so reminds me of Youruichi (Bleach Anime) , and now you gave her another chance.

IMSavior

11-13-2009

haha i started doing mass health katarina and then i saw this guide

its pretty good, but a few things

personally, if i can get away with it i like to solo a lane(usually mid), against melee char(s) if at all possible

it lets you farm a lot more, plus if you are soloing against another solo melee you can harass him a lot n usually get an early kill, plus you get levels faster meaning you will be 12 while they are like 6-9ish (depending on how well your team harassed etc) so you can easily jump top or bot lane and death lotus both the enemies there in a gank

2 ranged though you should take a partner

my usual build order is

regrowth
phage
boots
warmogs (want early to get the most out of the + life per kill)
mercury or tabi
atmas (mid game amazing boost to yoru damage..just great)
frozen mallet

games usually and at atmas or mallet

but after that id prolly get guardian angel

6th item would depend on other team (lots of spells = veil, no disarming spells maybe an aegis)

Miyamiya

11-13-2009

The probelm with soloing as Katarina is that you will often be facing Ashe or Teemo, the exact opposite of the easy melee kills you are looking for.

I have been experimenting with taking banshee's veil as the third item, but I need some more testing in team vs team combat for me to change the guide. Having a slow might not be as critical as I originally thought.

Gorets

11-14-2009

Great built! Thanks a lot, Miyamiya. I was at 3.3k hp and was not even close to finishing the built - the game was over )))

Riotcontrol

11-15-2009

I used to play AP Kat, and Ive tried Tank/ap, the small nerf to kat did hurt her AP capabilities, you can still make a mean squishy AP Kat but if you try a balanced tank/ap your dmg will really lack, if your carrying with some early kills and lots of gold it is allright, but any other game you wont have enough dmg to kill anyone 1v1. As it is Id rather go Attack damage/ninja boots and warmogs and focus more on your blades to farm gold faster on early game.

My Tank/AP looks like this:
Kayles pick
Ninja boots
Spirit Visage (if laning against mage/eve, or if theres at least 3 magic heavy on other team)
Rylay scepter
Mejais Soulstealer
Warmongers

This will give her 3k+ health at 18, some mr and cd reduction. The shunpo will hit for 300 dmg with 5 sec cooldown, and the ultimate for about 1600 dmg. You can kill 1v1 if the other guy doesnt have stuns or a big health pool, but your more suited to help a group with some extra dmg.

Overall id say go for full AP or Melee/Tank.

SwirishNinja

11-21-2009

I have to say that this is a great guide, I've followed it for a while and I'm doing extremely well in most games - any thoughts on runes now that they are out?

Miyamiya

11-22-2009

I unlocked a bunch of champions instead of runes, because I am very poor and can't afford to pay Riot the money they deserve. ^^

That said, cooldown runes seem to be the best buy, since its very hard to get cooldown reduction from gear choices. So far I've been planning on:

Red: Armor/Magic Resist
Yellow: Armor/Magic Resist/(dodge?)
Blue: Cooldown
Quintessence: Cooldown

But yeah, no huge changes as far as I can see.

Agility

11-22-2009

Never have feared his hero since the nerf.