Untwisting the Trees - A Weekly TT Tutorial

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FedEXpider

10-18-2012

This series of guides is really helpful, even for more experienced players.

Ghast Buff

10-18-2012

Well, thanks for undoing all my work, Nome. Jerk. >

I kid. Introduction to the new series starting next week posted, link in the OP. Diving headfirst into the new TT!

CaptainAMorgan

10-18-2012

You have done a good job.

Sadly they remade TT now. They plan on calling it Dominion Rift 3v3.

:P

Do you plan on making a video series on the new map?

If you need help feel free to contact me on the thread or in game

Captainamorgan

Keep up the good work!

Ghast Buff

10-19-2012

I made a new video to vent my thoughts on the new map. Tutorial video coming Monday!

Merlin the Tuna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcano Style View Post
Well, thanks for undoing all my work, Nome. Jerk. >

I kid. Introduction to the new series starting next week posted, link in the OP. Diving headfirst into the new TT!
Thank you for putting these together! I only stumbled upon them yesterday -- ironically while looking for specifics on the new map -- and these are exactly what my friends and I have needed to get some foundational TT knowledge. We've dabbled in it for the last couple weeks, but having no more understanding than "TankyDerps!" it has been pretty hit-or-miss. On the other hand, I've pulled half a dozen people into the fountain turret with Blitz hooks, so I can't be too upset about how that's played out. :P

A couple brief questions. Er, wordy questions with potentially brief answers.

- When duo-laning, is the general policy to split farm between the laners or to do a Summoner's-Rift style setup of having one person get as big as he can?
- I was surprised to learn that the creeps are actually worth slightly more cash, because I constantly feel broke on TT. (I expect that that's a result of a generally shorter laning phase as well as us not really using the jungle on account of it murdering us.) At any rate, what's the going policy on GP/10s? I've grabbed Heart of Gold a few times, but there just isn't as much time for it to pay off unless the game becomes a 50-minute turtlefest.
- In spite of the general focus on bruisers, we've run into some surprisingly rough games against setups like Caitlyn/Ziggs/AP Nidalee, with brutal poke and a ton of disengagement tools. My takeaway has been that having only 3 people on a team allows for really focused team comps that lack the 1-or-2 deadweight champs that SR can sometimes result in. Have you encountered much (successful) variety in team comp, or is it generally just a game of having a great initiator (e.g. Malphite) to force the face-mashing teamfights that TT is known for?

Thanks!

Ghast Buff

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin the Tuna View Post
- When duo-laning, is the general policy to split farm between the laners or to do a Summoner's-Rift style setup of having one person get as big as he can?
It depends who the duo is. Personally I think it's better to split the farm if you have a duo lane equally capable of baiting the enemy lane into giving up a kill. Otherwise, look to have one act as a dedicated support and deterrent to the enemy team - and make sure you get kills or win early.

Quote:
- I was surprised to learn that the creeps are actually worth slightly more cash, because I constantly feel broke on TT. (I expect that that's a result of a generally shorter laning phase as well as us not really using the jungle on account of it murdering us.) At any rate, what's the going policy on GP/10s? I've grabbed Heart of Gold a few times, but there just isn't as much time for it to pay off unless the game becomes a 50-minute turtlefest.
It's funny. I play with i am taemin pretty regularly, and one of the tactics he loves to do is build all 4 GP10 and carry us lategame. But then, he's a 2250 elo Korean guy so I don't think that tactic works for everyone.

You can definitely get away with GP10s. Philostone is decent because there's no blue buff and it's always good to have some good HP/mana sustain. HoG is good because Randuins is excellent lategame. Kagepick is good because of DFG (well, maybe not so much now) and if you want a Ghost Blade, then someone like Gangplank or Tryn can totally benefit from an early Avarice Blade. I gotta be honest, I'm not the person to ask for general champion/build tips since I'm not a great individual player. I'm only good at theorycrafting on the map itself.

Quote:
- In spite of the general focus on bruisers, we've run into some surprisingly rough games against setups like Caitlyn/Ziggs/AP Nidalee, with brutal poke and a ton of disengagement tools. My takeaway has been that having only 3 people on a team allows for really focused team comps that lack the 1-or-2 deadweight champs that SR can sometimes result in. Have you encountered much (successful) variety in team comp, or is it generally just a game of having a great initiator (e.g. Malphite) to force the face-mashing teamfights that TT is known for?
TT is the map I most regularly go 'Wow, what are they doing?' It's always rhetorical. I always know exactly what they're doing and run off the assumption I'll pick off their squishies. I never do. I always end up playing right into their hands like an idiot.

You remember the 'Protect the Vayne/Kog'Maw' meta that used to be the big thing in European tournaments? I see that a lot. Blind pick is just about picking a gimmick you think will work and running with it. Ranked TT, above all else, is a game of counterpicks.

CaptainAMorgan

10-19-2012

Watched the new video and I have to agree.

But I will not stick around if this replaces TT.

my team mates, my friends and I are not interested in the new map and the only thing we played was TT because it was more of a mini Rift than a Dominion slaughterhouse forced fight on objectives.

We liked TT because it was full of strategy, mechanics, and compared and played like a DOTA type game.

I really will not be satisfied with the game after TT is gone. I really cannot continue being forced to deal with people playing 5s. You're either witnessing rage or being raged at for everything and anything you do from the lobby on. I have no interest in trying to carry 4 people compared to 2. I also have no interest in dealing with people who take the game too seriously or not seriously enough on SR.

I haven't had a good game on SR in a while. (and that has nothing to do with my own performance, my last game I went a stupid 10-1-11 with Kayle top bc I countered Garen :P)
My team and I have had more fun on TT than ever before on SR.

As I already said before in my posts many times: This map has no resemblance to TT in any way and would really upset me if it replaces TT when it's released.

Numba Wan Kenobi

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numba Wan Kenobi View Post
Please keep the series going!

Seriously, the limited amount of useful information for this map like Sam's tierlist/AmA and other AmA/tips threads can only get you so far if you are a complete beginner to TT like me and my team were a month ago.

After the whole month trying out several comps based on the tier list and watching Sam's stream we improved a tiny bit but never enough to really get past 1400 elo, every time we reached that point we would fall back down and to be perfectly honest, it made sense since we truly had no idea what we were doing other than pretty much copycat-ing Sam's teams without really knowing how to play the map properly (pretty much playing SR style which is just wrong).

Until yesterday at noon me and my team were so frustrated as all this month we have been playing we just never really found out what "glued" certain things to the others in order for us to make sense of what we were doing and how we were doing it, compared to how the pros do it (not just Sam but many other plat teams we tried to copy).

But then yesterday night I stumbled upon this. And I have to say after I saw every video, specially the 25 min one, its like some sort of new world opened before me. What I failed to understand from our own senseless playing, I instantly got after that video. Everything made sense now.

We had the tools the entire month thanks to the Tier Lists and AmA and all that limited TT information out there, but we just didnt know how to use them properly, and you my friend have teached us exactly how those tools work and the proper knowledge to apply them effectively. And it is already paying off for our team.

Sorry for the kinda long and silly reply, but from the bottom of our team's heart, thank you for this and really hope you continue these series!

They are also pretty hilarious
I wrote this the other day, and I said "and it is already paying off for our team", well, I want to say that now, thanks to you and to your series (and ofc the previous scattered knowledge we had from tier lists and AmAs), finally, after an entire month of fails, we have managed to reach Gold in 2 days with our team from the knowledge obtained by your series.
(I know a lot of people reached gold in much less than 1 day, but considering we were trying unsuccessfully for almost an entire month, 2 days is quite an achievement for us xD)

So BIG thank you for helping us connect the dots!

We are so happy

And now that the deadline for the rewards is farther away, we are going to be aiming for platinum and -doubt it- diamond.

If we reach platinum, which Im very confident with hard work these next weeks we will, you have my word Im totally going to give you my Samurai Yi skin code that I got from alienwarearena's giveaway (it's for EUW though but maybe you can make a contest in EUW forums like "Subscribe to my Youtube channel and when I reach X amount of subscribers I will give away a Samurai Yi code to a random sub" etc)

Again, thanks!

InEdibleCake

10-28-2012

Why are the two videos from Shadow Isles TT private?

Scimatth7

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEdibleCake View Post
Why are the two videos from Shadow Isles TT private?
Same for me