I'm an agnostic atheist; ask me anything!

123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Horse Sized Duck

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
Wrong. A woodchuck would chuck all the would he could chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck would.
According to The Ability of Woodchucks to Chuck Cellulose Fibers, it is the answer I gave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
So... you don't know if god exists, but choose not to believe in one despite that lack of knowledge?
No, I choose not to believe in a god due to lack of evidence.

IRLDragon

10-27-2012

I have a very personal belief system that most of society would consider completely off-the-wall insane, something nothing like any organized religion. Before this, I was exactly like you.

But then I thought, why believe the sadder option? When there's no proof either way, why would you follow the idea that you go through school, sit in a cubicle for 40 years and die? So, I chose to believe whatever the **** I want, so long as it makes me happy and doesn't control the way I live my life. That's one of the reasons I dislike organized religion-- following a standardized dogma tends to breed bigotry and arrogance. For me, I'll just live, and figure out whether I'm right or not when I die.

So my question to you is: Why do you choose to believe the sadder option?

Horse Sized Duck

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpersonlol View Post
I have a very personal belief system that most of society would consider completely off-the-wall insane, something nothing like any organized religion. Before this, I was exactly like you.

But then I thought, why believe the sadder option? When there's no proof either way, why would you follow the idea that you go through school, sit in a cubicle for 40 years and die? So, I chose to believe whatever the **** I want, so long as it makes me happy and doesn't control the way I live my life. That's one of the reasons I dislike organized religion-- following a standardized dogma tends to breed bigotry and arrogance. For me, I'll just live, and figure out whether I'm right or not when I die.

So my question to you is: Why do you choose to believe the sadder option?
I choose to believe in the option that is intellectually honest. You should not believe in something because it makes you happy, you should believe in something because it is true, or you have evidence for it.

You live a false hope. I live a bleak truth.

Zenbear

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Sized Duck View Post
I choose to believe in the option that is intellectually honest. You should not believe in something because it makes you happy, you should believe in something because it is true, or you have evidence for it.

You have a false hope going for you. You live a false hope. I live a bleak truth.
I'm very skeptical of both atheists and theists when they tell me they know what the truth is.

Horse Sized Duck

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbear View Post
I'm very skeptical of both atheists and theists when they tell me they know what the truth is.
When you have evidence that an afterlife is will, I'll gladly look at it.

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Hitchens.

Kodoku

10-27-2012

Quote:
Why do you choose to believe the sadder option?
I think the whole idea of 'choosing' one's beliefs is just silly.

Quote:
You should not believe in something because it makes you happy, you should believe in something because it is true, or you have evidence for it.
Why not?

Horse Sized Duck

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
I think the whole idea of 'choosing' one's beliefs is just silly.

Why not?
Because beliefs inform our actions, false beliefs misinform our actions, misinformed actions have catastrophic consequences.

Zenbear

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Sized Duck View Post
When you have evidence that an afterlife is will, I'll gladly look at it.

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Hitchens.
I'm not saying that you should believe in something without evidence I'm saying that you should not believe that you know the truth.

Horse Sized Duck

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbear View Post
I'm not saying that you should believe in something without evidence I'm saying that you should not believe that you know the truth.
I don't believe I know the truth. I was actually playing on the Calvin and Hobbes comic that goes:

>Isn’t it sad how some people’s grip on their lives is so precarious that they’ll embrace any preposterous delusion rather than face an occasional bleak truth?

Kodoku

10-27-2012

Quote:
Because beliefs inform our actions, false beliefs misinform our actions, misinformed actions have catastrophic consequences.
We're not talking about false beliefs (we're talking, at best, about beliefs on insufficient evidence), and theism itself (not religion) has no obvious consequences for one's actions at all.

123456 ... 9