Could we get an RP to IP converter?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daitrombe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisu View Post
Too much double-cue usage in this thread.

You're not forced to buy champions, whether its with RP or IP, as you're given free champions to play in weekly rotations.
RP to IP Conversion would allow people to buy runes with RP, which is (from my point of view) the 'selling power' argument.


Who's pretending? If someone would rather spend their IP on runes instead of champions then that is their choice.


Versatility is a luxury. You don't need it, but its good to have.

Most of the arguments iv seen here to state that you're forced to buy this or that... are saying that you're forced to buy something that isn't needed.



So your argument is you had to make a decision between buying that new champion with IP, or getting some runes? There really is too much double-cue in this thread.

I hope you're not voting in the upcoming elections, cause you'd probably end up arguing about having to make a decision between one or the other and complain about "why can't they both be president"

Edit: After thinking about whether or not i'd continue to play the game without buying a single champion... My answer is Yes, I would still be playing.
Of course technically they don't force you to buy champs or hell play the game at all, but that is missing the point, buying champions with RP gives you a LOT of IP to buy runes and the like, compare it to the effectiveness of IP boosts for example.

They ARE selling power, just indirectly, you're paying 975 RP for 6.3K IP if you were definitely going to buy the champion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1c4d0c584523e580653b4

Senior Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daitrombe View Post
This stance, pardon the french, is bull****.

You're pretty much forced to buy champions, EVERYONE does, and yet, buying one with RP effectively gives you 6.3K IP, three of them and you have enough for a full, very expensive, runepage.
They don't force you. You just have to know what you want.
There's no need for you to get all the champs, it's not pokemon. Just get the ones you like the most and you're good to go.
I only ever bought one champ with RP, and that was on a whim. Afterwards I regretted my purchase and I have now wowed to myself to never buy champs with RP.
Instead I make sure to have at least 6300 IP at all times, should the next champ be so awesome that I really do have to get it.

I've bought countless champs (with IP) that I've only played once or twice just cause they seemed slightly interesting in some way. I've could have saved that IP by waiting until they were free and tried them out a bit more thoroughly before buying them from the impression of the reveal and champion spotlight alone.

If you want to play ranked just get the cheap ones to fill out your ranks, and later on maybe get some popular champs to trade with. Again there's no need for you to get all the champs, but if you do feel some kind of need to own them all RP is an easy way to go.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raynaud

Junior Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daitrombe View Post
This stance, pardon the french, is bull****.

You're pretty much forced to buy champions, EVERYONE does, and yet, buying one with RP effectively gives you 6.3K IP, three of them and you have enough for a full, very expensive, runepage.

explain to me please where this 6.3k IP that you can buy runes with comes from...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daitrombe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
They don't force you. You just have to know what you want.
There's no need for you to get all the champs, it's not pokemon. Just get the ones you like the most and you're good to go.
I only ever bought one champ with RP, and that was on a whim. Afterwards I regretted my purchase and I have now wowed to myself to never buy champs with RP.
Instead I make sure to have at least 6300 IP at all times, should the next champ be so awesome that I really do have to get it.

I've bought countless champs (with IP) that I've only played once or twice just cause they seemed slightly interesting in some way. I've could have saved that IP by waiting until they were free and tried them out a bit more thoroughly before buying them from the impression of the reveal and champion spotlight alone.

If you want to play ranked just get the cheap ones to fill out your ranks, and later on maybe get some popular champs to trade with. Again there's no need for you to get all the champs, but if you do feel some kind of need to own them all RP is an easy way to go.
I haven't bought a single champion with RP, I have no idea why any of you think I do.

It's not about them forcing you to buy them with RP, it's about forcing you to buy champions because of the nature of the game, the currency isn't relevant for that particular quote.

You're once again missing the point, if you KNOW what champion you want, you can buy it with RP and use the IP for runes you wouldn't be able to afford at that moment.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dyshonest

Junior Member

10-25-2012

Clever of the red earlier (or is it just Riot's stance on the rp issue in general?) to say that you can't convert rp to ip because it would be 'selling power'.

If Riot didn't want you to have extra rp laying around, they wouldn't have rp in the game at all. They would just charge you exact dollar amounts for champion/skins/etc.

It's the same pricing model that xbox live uses, you buy bundles of points that never exactly equal the ammount you need to buy something. You are supposed to have extra rp laying around because it helps to convince yourself to buy the next thing. "Well that champ costs 475 rp and i already have 350... so if i get more rp that champ is almost already paid off!"

As people pointed out, you can still 'buy power' through ip boosts. It's not about selling power, it's about getting people to buy more rp.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daitrombe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-25-2012

IP boosts are a joke for value compared to buying champions, but I guess those who buy them do both.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aggrbargl

Senior Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
Riot will not support this idea. This idea is essentially "selling power", which Riot is strongly against.
How do you reconcile this position with the selling of champions, which improve a player's ability to counterpick both personally and by trading with teammates; and rune pages, which are required to play many champions at full effectiveness and to adapt to the opposing team's picks?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

daves3hd

Senior Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
Riot will not support this idea. This idea is essentially "selling power", which Riot is strongly against.
^And this is why we love you. Continue what ever you are doing because you're doing it right.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-25-2012

The selling power point has been Riots stance from the begining. I have only bought 1 champion with RP and I own them all. I have still given Riot money. I have spent way less on this game then say WoW. While I have played for almost as long as I played Wow.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zekarie

Junior Member

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrbargl View Post
How do you reconcile this position with your the selling of champions, which improve a player's ability to counterpick both personally and by trading with teammates; and rune pages, which are required to play many champions at full effectiveness and to adapt to the opposing team's picks?
You guys are completely missing the point. Sure, when you look at it like a ****** it is indirectly buying power, grats, you win, you are indirectly buying power. Riot does not directly let you buy power (runes, exp, IP) because those require you to play the game to improve the ACTUAL STATISTICS OF YOUR IN GAME CHAMPION.

There is NO WAY that you can increase the effectiveness of your character in game no matter how much money you throw at it, at some point you have to play the game. If you were allowed to buy IP or convert RP to IP then you would be giving a way to DIRECTLY increase the power of a champion without actually playing.

There is a very good separation right now. So congrats on believing that buying a champion is buying IP, its not... its not even close. If you don't understand that then this whole conversation is lost on you anyway and you will just be disgruntled because you have to play the game to get runes instead of just buying them with cash (since that is what this is all about).