Guide to Anivia, the Cryophoenix

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evernight

09-14-2009

I agree with Tear earlier. Although the early bonuses from Dorans is good... I tend to go sapphire first with a heal pot or two and then get tear done first. Then do boots then Rod of Ages then finish Arch Angels.

Anivia is Super Mana heavy so stacking mana is important... Your build is prefect I just like a different order.

Scarvein

09-16-2009

Bumping for the new players to see.

Weretoad

10-06-2009

I've been using Anivia a lot lately, mostly because I wanted a decent caster/support class and I rarely see her played. I do the one-two combo of flash frost followed by frostbite, but it feels like whenever I do I barely put a dent into anyone. My last game there was an annie that occasionally took a big hit, but in general I felt I was nigh useless except for the occasional wall or if a large group of enemies showed up I would ult.

I've followed the guide's item build and made it all the way to Glacial Shroud a number of times, but it doesn't feel like it helps. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I try to stick in groups and just work on crowd control, but I feel like I could better contribute if I could actually kill enemies or protect my friends with something other than a wall.

I'm sure it's that I just suck, but I feel very little improvement from the beginning to the end other than having a larger mana pool, but with only two truly offensive skills with cooldowns long enough that I can't spam them, what is wrong? Anivia feels really underpowered.

The Swedish Chef

11-14-2009

Bumping this for players to enjoy. When I get time I'll fix the items that have the incorrect money values. On the whole though, the guide pretty much remains the same.

The Swedish Chef

11-14-2009

Item prices have been updated, enjoy.

Quicktim3

11-19-2009

one item you should consider trying out is mejai's soulstealer, its the perfect item for anivia giving you mana every hero kill and ap

also consider getting sapphire crystal as your first item, i know people say you need to mana regen as your first item but trust me i've tried both multiple times and getting sapphire crystal first always was the better option and it also helps get your rod faster

The Swedish Chef

11-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicktim3 View Post
one item you should consider trying out is mejai's soulstealer, its the perfect item for anivia giving you mana every hero kill and ap

also consider getting sapphire crystal as your first item, i know people say you need to mana regen as your first item but trust me i've tried both multiple times and getting sapphire crystal first always was the better option and it also helps get your rod faster
I have thought of Mejai's but the problem is it doesnt provide enough early game mana without first getting those kills. If you were going to get it, it'd be best after the Rod still, so she can at least stack her HP/Mana up first.

And your first item is really based on personal preference. I find Doran's Ring or even Doran's Shield work better as starting items because they provide extra HP, which allows you to be more aggressive within your first few levels. It's allowed me bait my opponents in close for Flash Frost/Frostbite combos at close range, which grants me a kill more then 75% of the time.

Hique

11-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remni View Post

Pre-game Options - Summoner Skills
Anivia benefits from almost every summoner skill, apart from things like Smite. Revive is top of the list for me, and is an excellent skill with Anivia to keep her in the fight at all times, since her passive is also a revive. This makes sure she never misses anything throughout the game, since oftentimes by the time she actually does die, your Revive skill is off cooldown.

After this, Clarity would be a next logical choice, as it helps with her early game harassing a ton, and can help in team fights as well.

Boost is another suggestion, since Anivia is very squishy early on and stuns can mean the end quickly even with her passive.

Flash is a good combo spell with her Wall ability, as you can set a pre-emptive wall in front of you while being chased, then simply Flash passed it, leaving your enemies behind it.

Skill Build
1.Flash Frost
2.Frostbite
3.Flash Frost
4.Frostbite
5.Flash Frost
6.Frostbite
7.Flash Frost
8.Crystallize
9.Crystallize
10.Glacial Storm
11.Glacial Storm
12.Crystallize
13.Crystallize
14.Crystallize
15.Frostbite
16.Glacial Storm
17.Frostbite
18.Flash Frost

I did not read it all because it was very long and I saw things that are wrong with the build. Still good job taking the time to make a guide.

First off, taking revive with Anivia is silly. You honestly shouldn't be dieing a lot if you're playing smart. I usually play Ignite/Clairvoyance. Ignite burst and dot is needed with the burst potention Anivia has if you nail your Skill shot perfectly. Clairvoyance is more of a utility tool to mess with the enemy in the grass and have the creeps attack them, check for dragon/Baron and ganks. Clairvoyance is extremely underrated because when used right it's a great tool. I will tend to switch Clairvoyance with Teleport depending on the match up. If I solo que I usually don't get Teleport.

Also, the skills list is wrong imo. Flash Frost first, but after that Frost Bite takes priority over anything except level 6 ult. Wall at level 8 is correct.

Charmicarmicarmicat

11-20-2009

Say, what about rylai? Frostbite slows, ult slows even more??

AFKray

11-20-2009

I don't know if you updated your guide yet, but chills from other characters don't affect Frost Bite.

And for Charm's post above me, I take it you don't realize that slows DON'T stack in LOL. What you'd end up getting is the 30% slow on Frostbite, and no returns on your other skills. (this is because your other skills slow for a higher % for longer. Therefore as slows do normally in this game, the highest % lasts its duration followed by any lesser slows that go beyond the first slow's duration.)

As for the guide itself, I don't know how anyone could justify wasting money on a Doran's item...they are just so bad and don't build into anything. I'd rather take my Saph --> Cata early. The reason why it's useless is, the hp is kinda silly, as you already have an EGG and shouldn't really be thinking about going offensive until you get your bread and butter initiator that is your ult. The mana regen is also not entirely the best because you won't really be using your mana much early on for it to matter and at level 6 you will already have other items to suppliment. The AP is nice, but as I have said before, you don't start being more active in getting kills until you have your full skillset of setups for Frostbite, which by then you'll have other items for AP.

*oh found something else*

You say you should be "harassing with Flash Frost" early, and never land the Frost bite until you can ensure heavy damage. My question is this. How exactly are you going to be harassing even semi-decent players with a very slow moving nuke that has a really long cooldown until later levels AND costs a ton of mana? Not taking my personal play into account, all the good Anivia's I've played with and against can all agree that you sit on your ass and farm early on and abuse your 600 range attack and wait for a quick FF--> FB setup. FF is useless without a follow-up FB. The mana --> damage is just terrible. Hero's with any regen will simply heal that amount by the time your cooldown for another FF is up. This guide would need some in-game footage as good support for your builds because right now it just seems like theory, that frankly would not work. You mention getting Revive as Anivia.....ORLY? And a guide like yours should probably include the Eggport strat, but I don't see it in here at all. It's definitely one of the best uses of a summoner skill possible, and it really only shines when used with Anivia.

*wow keep editing this with more stuff!*

Yeah, as the poster said two posts above me, you level flash frost first? I'm sorry but most players don't even get rank 2 until like level 8. Frostbite IS your damage. Flash Frost IS your setup. You need the chill effect. You have no ranks into Crystallize which is your best support ability. Getting it at level 4 is just critical to teamplay. I don't know how many games I've played where I got that extra level of FF at level 4 only to kick myself by botching a kill at level 6 because I couldn't wall them into my Glacial Storm. The ability to wall people in/split team fights/and snare people for 5 seconds (this assuming you have the Wall glitch down to a key, which might I had is quite hard) is way to valuable to wait until level 8.\

Anyway, I'm sorry for really railing into this and it prolly came off harsh, I tend to do that, but I'm glad to see more Anivia enthusiasts and I hope you don't take it too personally. GL in the future and I would be more than happy to hop on one day and play some matches with you to see your playstyle and may give any pointers I could give!