This race for WarHero Janna has destroyed solo queue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Its Frisky Blue

10-12-2012

This happens in every game with a ranking system. Let me break it down:

1. Good players stop playing for a while out of boredom and they leave for X duration.
2. During X duration the skill level in ELO brackets becomes watered down.
3. When ELO brackets are watered down, it's easier to raise your ELO.
4. Players who were previously 1200 rise to 1400 and plateau.
5. Game developers take not of dwindling population.
6. Game developers want population back up so they provide incentive.
7. Good players discover incentive and return to play.
8. ELO brackets return to normal.
9. Players who floated up in ELO thanks to watered down pool are returned to actual ELO.
10. Rinse and repeat.

ELO is not a set system in which you can simply state X ELO is representative of skill. ELO adjusts to population size. The more players there are, the harder it is to maintain a higher ELO because the pool of skilled players increases. The lower the population the easier it is to "float" to a higher ELO. In other words if there are a million players, 1000 might be bronze but with a hundred thousand players, bronze might be 1300.

tl;dr

You're actual ELO hasn't changed in relation to skill, just your visual ELO. In other words, the game now considers previously 1400 players to actually be in the 1200-1300 range.

AJStarhiker

10-12-2012

Like I said, though, it's not the ELO drop that bugs me, it's the attitude. If you're sitting below 1000, I don't care how good you think you are. You aren't pro at that level, so stop trying to claim you are.

t0ad5

10-12-2012

The reason I find elo hell so disapointing, isn't because I think I'm pro, it is because the majority of the people down there seem to have little concept of how to win the game, and its boring. Ranked is supposed to be a higher form of play, but often it reverts to who has the least amount of bads on their team.

I understand that one team wins and the other loses. However, most games aren't worth playing past the 20 minute mark.

It gets boring when your personal effort is wasted by stuff like:
There is a mini map?
Why ward or use abilities when I can face check the bush?
What is this "positioning" you speak of?
What do you mean the adc isnt the tank and should be in the back?
Why protect the jungle when I can sit in lane and wait for minions to arrive?
We don't see the enemy anywhere on the map, and we keep dying solo in the jungle.. I should go back into the jungle again, without my team, right? Surely they left after they have gotten 3-4 kills?

I just don't understand why more games aren't closer. To me this says that the matchmaking system is off.

Vizzlepeez

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Frisky Blue View Post
This happens in every game with a ranking system. Let me break it down:

1. Good players stop playing for a while out of boredom and they leave for X duration.
2. During X duration the skill level in ELO brackets becomes watered down.
3. When ELO brackets are watered down, it's easier to raise your ELO.
4. Players who were previously 1200 rise to 1400 and plateau.
5. Game developers take not of dwindling population.
6. Game developers want population back up so they provide incentive.
7. Good players discover incentive and return to play.
8. ELO brackets return to normal.
9. Players who floated up in ELO thanks to watered down pool are returned to actual ELO.
10. Rinse and repeat.

ELO is not a set system in which you can simply state X ELO is representative of skill. ELO adjusts to population size. The more players there are, the harder it is to maintain a higher ELO because the pool of skilled players increases. The lower the population the easier it is to "float" to a higher ELO. In other words if there are a million players, 1000 might be bronze but with a hundred thousand players, bronze might be 1300.

tl;dr

You're actual ELO hasn't changed in relation to skill, just your visual ELO. In other words, the game now considers previously 1400 players to actually be in the 1200-1300 range.
This in no way describes whats going on, its the exact opposite

LeTobarMethod

10-13-2012

OP is right, this game is ****ing broken
I play normals with a 4-man team, and lose due to ONE ****ING PERSON i lose every game to that.
Solo que as well, and lately, it has gotten drastically worse. The game is going fine....."an ally has been slain"......."an ally has been slain"......"an ally has been slain, killing spree".........."an ally has been slain, double kill"....."stop fuking feeding bot".......20 minutes later, enemy is feed with 10+ kills on us, and focuses anyone who leaves the lane. i die, my friends die etc. etc. this is the story every game. **** LoL. then the ask "wtf y am i dying, this is bs u fukin noobs wont help me"..........(runs into enemy rengar in brush and tries to solo after we had a teamight, and straglers were around at half hp)..."an ally has been slain"..."wtf were did they come from, fukin noobs not helping me" its the same **** every match.

edit: no one say "well find another person" you dont get it...dont you think we wouldve done so, if we could actually find someone who doesnt suck??

edit: overall, i deserve to be in the 1200 area, i play correctly, i know the mechanics etc. but i look bad on my history, beause my teams. when i solo, its 70-40 loss/win ratio. i cant win for **** because my team gets eaten. not to mention losing to darius,katarina,garen teams. and noone will listen to you when u give advice, its pathetic, then they call u noobs....FOR WHAT??? GETTING THE BEST STATS???

trackmaster

10-13-2012

No idea if this is true, but after rapidly jumping to gold (thank god) I fell nearly 100 points this week. For some reason we aren't auto-winning when I play taric. I'm under 70% with him now I don't care though, already got gold rewards