Riot point purchase disincentive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bobarabara

09-20-2010

I think most people only spend 10s at a time anyway, this just makes it so they spend 10 $ and don't fill cheated, or something like that

I'm sure they talked it over with sales analysts and have come up with the best pricing strategy for their customer base

Pinkbandit

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Shield View Post
I broke it down too and my most recent purchase was $50 but that decision was based on the amount of content i planned on buying, normally since i don't see much benefit to paying 50 over paying 10, 5 times i pay the 10, 5 times and spend the points as i need them also it is eaiser to justify 10 at a time to my wife then 50.
Well my next purchase will be 50 as well because I feel that I need the amount of points that come with the big bundle. I know it could be easier to justify the $10 purchase to wives or gfs they just don't have the same passion for LoL necessarily.
What I was getting at is just that I feel that Riot is missing out on a business opportunity to encourage larger investments. The fact that you can buy 5 $10 bundles without penalty could be on purpose(Riot?) but on the other hand I think that people who buy the larger bundles of 20 or more should get a bit of a break.

Pinkbandit

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarabara View Post
I think most people only spend 10s at a time anyway, this just makes it so they spend 10 $ and don't fill cheated, or something like that

I'm sure they talked it over with sales analysts and have come up with the best pricing strategy for their customer base
The main reason I am left questioning this is because one can not afford a legendary skin for $10. So, if riot is going to offer items of higher worth than the average purchase which we can assume the average player isn't going to purchase(I have gentleman chog lol) should the legendary buyer not get some slack for buying an unusual item that requires a higher bundle anyways?

Brewtuss

09-20-2010

First off, I want to preface this by saying that I think LoL is a great game, and the free content is a great way to get people interested. I have purchased one of the champions bundles, a character or two, and 2 skins, all in all spending around $50. Part of the reason I have made these purchases was because I enjoy the game enough that I wanted to support Riot.

However, I don't like having to purchase more Riot points than I need for what I want. I mean - the way it is now is like buying a gift card for everything you buy, and if you don't spend it all - well then Riot gets to keep the change. Right now I have 485 Riot points. There pretty much isn't anything I would want for less than that. I wouldn't mind having a 975 riot point skin on sale for 50% off.....but oh wait that would cost me 487 points.

I think it would be appropriate for Riot to let you purchase exactly the number of Riot points you need for the purchase. So for example you would click on the thing you wanted that costs 975 RP from the store, then it popped up and asked you if you wanted to purchase exactly 975 points, or one of the already available bulk numbers of RP. It would also be nice if you could combine what you already have to an exact number you need to have enough for the purchase.

I know that this buying points in bulk quantities thing is based on the MIcrosoft model for Xbox Live, but I quit buying Microsoft points a long time ago for the same reasons. I don't want to have to give my change away for each purchase I make, and until that changes I won't be buying any more RP.

fruitie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2010

i got like 2 10s and 20 dollar one (i think) over time coz the incentive is just too little and doesnt really give you any benefit. and the prices are high as it is anyway. i wud have been persuaded if the bonus were decent.

Pinkbandit

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtuss View Post
First off, I want to preface this by saying that I think LoL is a great game, and the free content is a great way to get people interested. I have purchased one of the champions bundles, a character or two, and 2 skins, all in all spending around $50. Part of the reason I have made these purchases was because I enjoy the game enough that I wanted to support Riot.

However, I don't like having to purchase more Riot points than I need for what I want. I mean - the way it is now is like buying a gift card for everything you buy, and if you don't spend it all - well then Riot gets to keep the change. Right now I have 485 Riot points. There pretty much isn't anything I would want for less than that. I wouldn't mind having a 975 riot point skin on sale for 50% off.....but oh wait that would cost me 487 points.

I think it would be appropriate for Riot to let you purchase exactly the number of Riot points you need for the purchase. So for example you would click on the thing you wanted that costs 975 RP from the store, then it popped up and asked you if you wanted to purchase exactly 975 points, or one of the already available bulk numbers of RP. It would also be nice if you could combine what you already have to an exact number you need to have enough for the purchase.

I know that this buying points in bulk quantities thing is based on the MIcrosoft model for Xbox Live, but I quit buying Microsoft points a long time ago for the same reasons. I don't want to have to give my change away for each purchase I make, and until that changes I won't be buying any more RP.
The way that u are suggestion is simply giving a dollar amount to all of the items. Maybe Riot feels that points are a friendlier way of saying $6.82 for a toon, still the top up way is much the same as how steam works. Which is totally fantastic for all of us that play and have credit cards. If one doesn't have a credit card then that process is a bit discriminative.

Pinkbandit

09-20-2010

last bump before i give up on a riot post lol