Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-10-2012
25 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleargh View Post
Yes, the readability of the icons is an issue now.

Lux is just a female face. It's so zoomed in it could be almost anyone - it has no distinguishing characteristics whatsoever.

Whether or not icon arts looks better or worse than it did before is important, but so it the readability, regardless of which one looks better out-of-context.
Yep, guys...we agree with you. We're looking at that now. The zoom thing is a great point. Need to back off of the image a bit.

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-10-2012
26 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkvolcan View Post
Well OP said we could ask about UIs too, so I guess I'll go ahead and do that.

Over time, I've gotten more used to it, but I remember as a new player, I found the UI to be really clunky and obstructive. It just got in the way of things too much.

Does the art team have the power to change the UI layout and options on it?
And if so, will we be seeing anything in the future? Such as resizing different individual things, completely getting rid of others, and moving frames around?
The UI is a bit of a challenge for new players. We certainly would be one of the teams responsible for making it better. UI is something you really want to get right. It's so critical to make it intuitive and beautiful without making it distracting. We're looking at the UI and ways to make it better right now.

MisterTibber

10-10-2012

I hate to repost but I would really love to get a response, it is something that is of great interest to me ^_^

"I know this has been mentioned in other threads and don't know if it has ever been answered but would love to know...do you ever see the possibility of map skins? I am sure it would take a ton of work but I know I would def drop money to buy a map skin so I can change it when I want freely (or keep it always on halloween >=D lol). Or an alternative I did read that they were going to possibly make ward skins? But when I read about this they said they would only be temporary (1-2 weeks) if this happens would you consider making them available for temporary or permanent purchase? By the way keep up all the awesome work ^_^ league of legends has been my addiction for about 1.5 years lol"

BooleanCube

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
The UI is a bit of a challenge for new players. We certainly would be one of the teams responsible for making it better. UI is something you really want to get right. It's so critical to make it intuitive and beautiful without making it distracting. We're looking at the UI and ways to make it better right now.
The more experience a LoL player is, the more they scale down the HUD with the slider; down to an asymptotic threshold that is strongly correlated with their quality of eyesight & monitor setup (and thusly the HUD's legibility).
You hit "lvl 30 HUD" when you remove the decorative walls (that space between the items, skills, & minimap).

Apoclyptica

10-10-2012

Will anything ever be done about the Abyssal Nautilus Skin. The splash art in the american version shows him with the parascope on the wrong side of his head, where as the chinese version shows it on the correct side.

Edit: attached images
As you can see the parascope is on the wrong side in the NA Artwork in respect to his ingame model
NA: Right on head in splash Chinese: Left head in Splash Game: Left side of head

Deljase

10-10-2012

What's the constraint keeping Riot from producing multiple 'skins' of the same map? I personally would love to see a Magma Chamber-esque Summoner's Rift version, complete with lava flow-river area conversions, burnt grass-bushes, rocky walls and new skins for the jungle monsters.

A swamp-theme version would also be a great option for some more variety.

Could something like this be a viable future addition as ways to spice up the look of 5v5 maps?

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-10-2012
27 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk47 View Post
Hey Narya,

Do you work on any actual art yourself, or is your position strictly managerial?

If so, what have you worked on?
Wow, I know, right? My role right now is fairly strategic and managerial. It has been for a while now. I really enjoy working with teams to make things better and its very rewarding to watch people learn and grow. And it's a two way street! I grow as well, working with such awesome people. I do quite a bit of work at home because I do still like to be hands on creative.

For the full résumé breakdown you could check out my linkedIn profile. You can see I've been around for just a bit...)

Morbidanimosity

10-10-2012

I find most of the art amazingly well done,
although 2 things come to mind,
The anatomical proportions on lee sin and syndra,
Something about lee sins upper body/ribcage in his splash art looks anatomically incorrect to me,
and syndras legs/hips look odd in the splash art.
Other than that, i think most of the art is great, and the updated splash art you guys are putting out for champions is very impressive

Byrnes

10-10-2012

Hey Narya,

I dont know if this is the right place for it, but it would be awesome if in game hero portraits (including mini-map ones) could change along with the skin that is in use!

I know it was said before that this was avoided to help new players, but at least the faces on the map would match those on the login screen (for example seeing a blue malphite during loading screen and then it being the regular one on the minimap).

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-10-2012
28 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel the Dragon View Post
this is less of an art question and more of a personal question, whats the reason you end (nearly) every post with a "...)"

me being me keeps looking back for its brother " ( " and upon not finding it i die a little inside. xD
(...LoL. Sorry, habit. I think if you knew me personally you'd get it. Some would say I'm a bit of an optimist and have a sense of humor. I guess I reflect that in my posts...)