Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlackMystic

10-10-2012

It's lux!

TheFungus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Look at Akali's art. Look at her legs. She needs a rework.

Also, Nasus' art is pretty outdated.

Dorotheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Well, I guess this is cool.

I was hopin to keep it in my one thread, but thats k.
I think a lot of art just needs to be updated, thats basically it. Then other new art, like Lux doesn't look out of place. I think Lux art is still great.

But the issue I have is good art vs. good design.
I believe that good art is super subjective, and what people usually want to argue is actually design (an average person doesn't know the difference).
Most of League's issues with design are small, and just has to do with poor cropping or vectors and planes that are distracting.

JesterCapp

Technical Artist

10-10-2012
24 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulzara View Post
Do you think that we could get the Bloodfury Renekton tongue looked at? The bug still persists (to my knowledge) that causes his tongue to be painfully noticeable when he is hiding in a bush. I love that skin so much, it just kind of irks me seeing such a weird looking bug on the mighty Renekton.
I can respond to this as it's essentially my fault. I actually had a fix for this quite a while ago and was distressed to find out recently it never got shipped. :C That was entirely my bad on not following up.

On the positive side, I RE-submitted that fix and it should be in an upcoming patch. (not necessarily this next patch, as was just re-fixed recently)

InfiniteIce

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
League is an evolving game. We update it, add new features and make improvements continually. Instead of doing this as a massive grand-reveal update, we tend to iterate. I think this connects us better with you guys as we get constant feedback on the changes we make and that's really useful..
Yes. Please keep doing this.

I know I'm not the only one who played old school starcraft 1, or when brood war came out...

Or WarCraft 3...

or SC2...

Yea, they're all Blizzard games. They tend to take the approach of read everything on foruims, respond to none of it, kinda like they are simply afraid of breaking the corporate bubble.

But anyway, , Blizz RTS games have always had this pattern of having something that is terribly terribly broken in the beta. They make lots of adjustments during the closed beta to try to balance it out before release, but they never get it quite right, or the other retardedly broken "noob terran/zergh/protosss cheese" unit is discovered shortly before release.

They release the game on time, still imbalanced...and then they stop all fixes tweaks and live patching whatsoever. The frist few weeks of the game are either super easy wins or incredibly frustrating losses depending on if your race is the broken one.

I think they had something like 8 patches in 3 years after brood war was released. Then they released another 9 or so with no balance changes, only exploit fixes or battle.net UI/feature improvements. If you played SC2 but never the original (shame shame on you), I could sum it up by asking you how many weeks and months did we hear and experience "marauders op as fk" before they finally toned the unit down? yea..

Sorry if this seemed pointless...I was trying to communicate that I hate the long, no feedback, delayed, big massive changes patch method like Blizzard does.

So...keep doing what I quoted ayou saying Approval

Korica Riftaxe

10-10-2012

I really don't know what your staffing numbers are, but just by comparison

Dota 2 isn't even released yet and they have re-textured and re-modeled their heroes several times over the course of their beta patches. By comparison the re-modeling is much less extensive than League re-models but that is because the art style and quality level of everything in Dota 2 is on a very level field, whereas League has huge differences in styles (and quality) between current content and old content.

I know Valve is big, but is it really THAT much bigger than Riot? My understanding is that Riot has been growing at an almost exponential rate for 2-3 years in a row.

PS: Not all women have supermodel bodies and wear skin-tight, revealing clothing. Lux doesn't need to wear a skin-tight black suit that shows off her taught stomach and belly button for us to understand that she is a wacky girl that shoots lazers.

Adumbro Deus

Recruiter

10-10-2012

Hello, can we get fiora's classic and sejuani's arts fixed. Sejuani feels schizophrenic because she has a super-model body as a savage barbarian (which is reinforced by her pose). Make her body type consistent with her lore and pose (requires a model rework as well unfortunately).

Fiora just needs new art, it's submissively sexualized, does this really fit with a character who says things like "others try, I succeed"?

Leorite

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteIce View Post
Yes. Please keep doing this.

I know I'm not the only one who played old school starcraft 1, or when brood war came out...

Or WarCraft 3...

or SC2...

Yea, they're all Blizzard games. They tend to take the approach of read everything on foruims, respond to none of it, kinda like they are simply afraid of breaking the corporate bubble.

But anyway, , Blizz RTS games have always had this pattern of having something that is terribly terribly broken in the beta. They make lots of adjustments during the closed beta to try to balance it out before release, but they never get it quite right, or the other retardedly broken "noob terran/zergh/protosss cheese" unit is discovered shortly before release.

They release the game on time, still imbalanced...and then they stop all fixes tweaks and live patching whatsoever. The frist few weeks of the game are either super easy wins or incredibly frustrating losses depending on if your race is the broken one.

I think they had something like 8 patches in 3 years after brood war was released. Then they released another 9 or so with no balance changes, only exploit fixes or battle.net UI/feature improvements. If you played SC2 but never the original (shame shame on you), I could sum it up by asking you how many weeks and months did we hear and experience "marauders op as fk" before they finally toned the unit down? yea..

Sorry if this seemed pointless...I was trying to communicate that I hate the long, no feedback, delayed, big massive changes patch method like Blizzard does.

So...keep doing what I quoted ayou saying Approval
Exactly what i was feeling. Not to talk trash or anything, Blizzard doesn't talk to their Subscriber's at all. Riot does it like Besties for life Yes, please continuing doing updates this way, it's way more rewarding than a new patch every 6 months or something of the such. Love ya Riot

Defileable

10-10-2012

Hello Narya!

I work for a company that professionally produces extremely high quality horror figures, costumes, and movie props all of which are hand maid and painted each item requiring many man hours. Our work is shown in countless major amusement parks, haunted houses and we have done work for celebrities such as Dick Van **** and Kirk Hammet of Metallica. I was just wondering if you guys have any life size figures of any of your champions and if we could work with you to produce some for the office or major events.

UNPGriff

10-10-2012

Why are league females contracting some sort of spinal disease?
And can the champion icons at least be more clear with the new art?