RIOT please note - New role picking feature in Draft/Ranked solo/duo.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iamshanka

10-10-2012

In draft mode/ ranked solo/due matchmaking queue, I would not want to see fights over roles. Although you are entitled to call your role, this is only preference and not reservation.
As soon as a team enters into champion select, I would want to see 5 check boxes in a window for each player with options - mid/top/adc/support/jungle. By checking this and making it apparent for the rest of the team, champion and role select can go on more smoothly.

I always play either bot/top. So i can check 3 options. So there should be a 5x5 matrix window or something and players can sort out things and have healthy champ select

JoDari

10-10-2012

I think this might not be a good idea for solo queue. Actually I think it is a good idea, but I see a big drawback.

Let's say you want to play Morgana mid. So you check the box for AP mid. Then when the champ select starts the enemy team locks in Talon. So you don't want Morgana vs Talon so now you want to switch roles, because you don't have a good mid to counter Talon.

But nobody wants to switch because they all pre-selected the role they wanted.

Malkontent69

10-10-2012

I can see how lots of people might like this, but I'm personally opposed to it. I don't think we should be forcing the meta game on people. This would just give more fuel to the people who think that certain champions should only ever be played in certain roles. Anything that limits innovative playing is probably not a great idea. Just my two cents.

iamshanka

10-10-2012

Hey JoDari / Malkontent69 - What i meant was that there should just be a window of everybody's preferences in your team so that you can also make a good decision. As of now, there is only limited time to pick, and many times i find it not suitable to finalize.... and it rather ends in conflicts to what roles ppl call and eventually take. There is no catogarization of champs here. Just a plain window of your team members and what roles they can take.

AJStarhiker

10-10-2012

Personally, I would prefer having an extra 10-20 seconds or so before bans start so first pick doesn't get rushed and can actually discuss bans/selections. As it is, everyone rushes to call a lane and first pick (who should get *gasp* FIRST PICK) has to get what he/she can while rushing to get a ban in before the timer is up and to find out if anyone wants to play the normally-banned FotM champ.

PrfsrChaos

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkontent69 View Post
I can see how lots of people might like this, but I'm personally opposed to it. I don't think we should be forcing the meta game on people. This would just give more fuel to the people who think that certain champions should only ever be played in certain roles. Anything that limits innovative playing is probably not a great idea. Just my two cents.
^I agree completely.

OP your method is restricting of creativity. The champion select is a part of the strategy of the game. The meta-game is formed and enforced by players...it should NEVER be enforced by Riot ever, ever.

Especially with Season 3 coming up and new itemization...who knows what the meta will look like from a year from now. I definitely don't believe that it will remain exactly the same as it is now.

Creating a system that restricts creativity is the point in which I stop playing. I recently got into a game where we had 2 Adc's top, Fizz (me) mid, a jungle GP, and supp karma bot...we only lost because one of the players disconnected. Though it was stressful in champ select, the game was one of the most refreshing and fun that I had had in a long time. I like that part of the game, just as much as I like being in the game where all roles match and everything works out. But without both the game gets dull.

Amatzikahni

10-10-2012

Without reading anything, let me vent about how annoying PvE was in WoW.

I would get on my Druid and check the box for Healer. I'd wait about 1-2 minutes and get in a group. Then I'd get on my Warrior and check the box for Tank. I'd get a queue before I even finished checking the box. Then I'd get on my main, my Mage. I'd have to wait 30-40 minutes before getting a group, and the guy who checked the Tank box is actually not specced or geared to tank; he just checked the box so he could find a group faster and the group ends up disbanding so I have to wait another 30-40 minutes.

Sorry; I'm not playing support every single game because I enjoy variety.

Rutherfordium

10-10-2012

There's one huge problem I see with this strategy.

You lock in mid. Top, jungle, and ADC are checked as well. The last person resigns to playing support, the oh-so-dreaded role that for some reason people don't like playing.

You go into champ select and choose your mid. The guy who checked support role comes up and then promptly locks in a mid champ because he thinks support is for noobs.

Now what do you do?

Zamiel The Grey

10-10-2012

Always so rushed to pick roles... need more time to actually be strategic with bans/picks/counterpicks

Vernafel

02-14-2013

This would work but need a good system. Like in World of Warcraft with a twist:

Select Role:

ADC, Mid, Top, Support, Jungle, Any Role (I will pick what my team need, I'm a teamplayer and I have runepages for all roles) or No MetaGame (I want to be paired with players not following the meta.)

This could be active for Summoner rift, at least ranked and draft mode. You Add some addtionnal IP for role not played, as satchel of goods in World of Warcraft, and add an additionnal report at the end of game for someone who didn't respect what he selected before game. You could add a kick pre-game too and kick someone who troll pick when he's support let's say.