I need help with Soraka

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KrizzTheBeast

10-09-2012

Hello everybody, im newbie in this game (im lvl 8 of summoner) and i need help with Soraka, i want to learn play as support, and one friend toldme Soraka is the best to learn this job on the game, but i really suck -__-U, i need the items builds, and the skills i must increase, thanks for the help, and forgive mi bad inglish, i speak in spanish but i register in the North American server.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

You speak better english then most of the native spanish speakers I find myself queued with, which is a huge help to team communication.

Most supports, including Soraka, will start Faerie charm, wards, potions. Until you level up and can reach the higher masteries on the green tree, this will be 3 wards and two potions, so I'd recommend one each of health and mana.

On your first back, you want to build your faerie charm into a Philosopher's stone to start on your passive gold generation. You should also pick up as many additional wards as you can. Try to avoid backing until you can afford the Philo stone and at least one ward, if at all possible.

After that, you'll want to go for boots or a second gold per ten item. You have a choice between Kage's pick, which will increase your AP and make your healing and other spell effects more powerful, and Heart of gold, which increases your HP. I usually go for Heart of gold simply because Soraka is a very squishy champion, and the extra HP prevents me from being bursted down too easily.

Usually I'll pick up a Ruby crystal(or Amplifying tome, for the pick) if I can afford it, or boots if I can't, or if I really need another ward to take back to lane.

Once I have both gold per ten items and basic boots, I make sure to maximize my wards picked up every trip back before I focus on building anymore, unless I can skip one or two to get my next item and still come back to lane with 3+ wards.

I'll usually build Ionian boots for the CDR, which I find most useful on Soraka, but the defensive boots, Ninja tabi and Mercury treads, can also be useful, and I know of some supports that build Mobility boots, especially if they plan to pick up an oracle and clear wards. Since Soraka is capable of influencing fights around the map with her ultimate, and so doesn't need to roam quickly, and is usually too squishy to hold an oracle well, I don't personally use the Mobility boots. However, it can still be worthwhile to pickup an oracle in some situations - just be careful with it.

After that, you'll want to build Aura items that help your teammates. I almost always pick up Aegis of the Legion, no matter which support I'm playing. My second aura will often be Soul shroud; however, Zeke's on a heavy AD team, or Will of the Ancients or Abyssal sceptre on AP heavy teams(as long as the APs aren't using those items, which many do build), can be good purchases as well.

After my second aura I upgrade my Philo stone to Shurelya's reverie, although many supports will upgrade it alot earlier. I like to keep the passive gold coming in as long as possible, but if you feel your team will benefit from the Shurelya activate, by all means take it earlier.

Finally, upgrade the Heart of gold to a Randuin's or Locket, depending on the situation. If you have a Kage's pick, either upgrade it to DFG or Morello's, or sell it for another AP item. However, it will be very rare that you make it to a full build on a support. If you do, start buying red and blue elixirs.

Keep in mind that during all of this, you'll want to have at least a full stack of 5 wards on you whenever possible. This means you don't build an item like Randuin's by filling your last open inventory space with the Warden's mail - you need that space for wards, and you should always have them available.

I mentioned Oracle's elixir briefly above - as a support, you should be sharing the purchase of new Oracle's(when the old one is removed by death) with the tanks on your team - usually the jungler, but occasionally the top laner. This lets you spread the cost out, so one person isn't constantly buying the new one, slowing down their build, and dying as a result.

At your level, your opponents probably won't be warding much, if at all, so you may not have to worry about the Oracle's for a long time. You should still be warding for your team, of course - it will give them a significant advantage to have vision of the other team.

Hope this helps - good luck.

Edit: Sorry, I see you also mentioned which skills to level. I usually start Infuse, since it has the dual use of restoring mana to an ally or silencing an enemy. I take heal second, and starcall last, simply because I rarely need to deal AoE damage as a support - using Starcall in lane will often cause your lane partner to have more trouble last hitting. Sometimes, I actually leave starcall for later, and just alternate Infuse and Heal for a few levels. Obviously take your ultimate at levels 6, 11, and 16, and max Infuse or Heal first(depending on which you find yourself using more often in lane), and Starcall last.

KrizzTheBeast

10-10-2012

Thank you very much, its great find good users wiling to help newbies, and dont call noob or say learn to play, thanks again ^^

Ravenbones

10-10-2012

Another requirement for Soraka is learning to properly target your teammates for healing and infuse. Learning to use your shortcuts for targeting your spells goes a long way in releaving some initial Soraka frustrations, especially in team battles where everyone is jumbled up and manual clicking can become impossible.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Raven, care to elaborate on that? I don't know what you're talking about, and I doubt OP does either =P how can he learn if no one teaches him?

XxxLumberJackxxX

10-10-2012

*turn on smart casting.
This is done under key bindings.

Also there is some good advice above, although I will correct him by saying buying WoA on Soraka makes little sense as there are better options for her. None of the items it builds from provide much utility (except some better healing). Abyssal scepter is a strong choice.

I don't get starcall until lvl 5 (when jungler should be ganking) or level 7. No reason to build it earlier, get more W and E so your carry doesn't need to go back and you can harass harder.

FaerellG

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbones View Post
Another requirement for Soraka is learning to properly target your teammates for healing and infuse. Learning to use your shortcuts for targeting your spells goes a long way in releaving some initial Soraka frustrations, especially in team battles where everyone is jumbled up and manual clicking can become impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
Raven, care to elaborate on that? I don't know what you're talking about, and I doubt OP does either =P how can he learn if no one teaches him?
I'll do it for him.

So Infuse has a dual use of silence or mana restoration. In laning, the general concept is that you want to harass when you can, but you want to sustain and stay topped off too.

This is where knowing your AD is very helpful. As a support you should also learn to play AD so you understand how they work (and AD should learn to play support so they know how supports work). In this specific case, you want to know how much mana your AD needs to pull off a full combo and use infuse to keep them above that much mana. Beyond that you can poke with infuse.

Another reason to save infuse is to deal with channelled abilities or delaying spells that could ruin your initiation or poke. For example, vs Taric. Soraka's infuse is instant and longer ranged that Taric's stun. Don't be afraid to stand out in front and silence Taric every time he looks like he's coming in for a stun. Use that silence duration to harass him a bit or back off while you wait for infuse to come back. Back off when infuse in on cooldown so he can get that stun in.

In terms of Heal. Soraka's heal also carries an Armor buff component so it's not always wise to heal your ally immediately, nor is it always wise to heal the lowest HP target. It's often best to heal the champion that's being targeted because not only will they get healed, but they also mitigate damage via the Armor buff.

Sereg Anfaug

10-10-2012

I meant the shortcuts for targetting. If he means smartcast, I really don't recommend that - if there's something else, that's what I'm asking about.

FaerellG

10-10-2012

I think the F1-F4 keys are supposed to target allies.

Ravenbones

10-10-2012

Double check the key bindings, but F1 should be yourself, then F2-F5 are your allies by default, I moved mind around to something I am more familiar with.

Additionally you will want to watch the health bars of all your group using the icons to the left of your HUD. This is where your Ulti could very well save someone from having a bad day.