Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shentok

10-09-2012

@Narya, why was there a decision for Bloodstone Taric to not have a cloak? His walking animations are so awkward without the cloak. Like his movements look like he's walking with a cloak dragging behind him still even though there isn't one. I also feel that it detracts from his gem knight style by not having a cloak on his 5th age and bloodstone skin.

TheKingueZ

10-09-2012

Hey narya, what about new summoner icons such as champions faces? =p

Insanity Cow

10-09-2012

Can you guys make custom champion icons instead of using the splashes as the icon?

The new splashes are really good, but the icon that go along with some of them... well...

champions like Ryze and Renekton could use much better icons

Softspoken

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
@RiotNarya or anyone really...
Just a request, not sure if or where it is on your list. One splash art that I think could be redone would be Eve's tango skin. Me and my girlfriend both play league and I thought it would be a great idea for us to get kinda themed skins to play with together. And the first thing that I thought of was Tango Eve and TF. Well I go to look at TF's splash art and there is him and Eve dancing. Awesome! Then I go look at Eve's and it is just her in a pose. I think hers should have TF in there somewhere to match TF's splash art concept of them both being in each others.
Just my opinion on how that should look.
Thanks for the time!
Evelynn's moved on from their relationship.

Twisted Fate has a harder time letting go.

Airfury

10-09-2012

Narya is so mainstream.... Vilya though, that's what's up. Just sayin...

Penakoto

10-09-2012

Here's an interesting question.

Seems with the frequency of the art updates, and the decline of brand new champions, is Riot planning to focus more on catching the game and it's champions, up to current standards? Or is it a coincidence that it's been awhile since the last champion announcement? Or does that have to do with the tournament, and not Riots plans for the future of the game?

Prince Kassad

10-09-2012

@RiotNarya or IronStylus,

Any plans to increase human champion skin tone/racial diversity? Sure, we have some champions like Karma and Malzahar, but I think there is plenty more room for black and brown human characters. I think that along with broadening the game's appeal, it would also help give champions more recognizable faces.

p.s. I really like the way that all the new Ashe splash arts have very consistent, identifiable facial features. She has a slightly longer face and pointier nose that some of the other female characters. Ashe has a face now! I hope this is applied to future reworks; it would make me warm and fuzzy inside! (The discrepancy between the facial features in Taric's various splash arts is particularly horrid)

Attachment 538830Attachment 538831Attachment 538832

^ What is this dude supposed to look like?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-09-2012
20 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
That happens when your awesome teammates pick the icon for you...)
This has now been rectified. Your good sportsmanship is unequaled =)

DoozleDorf

10-09-2012

It seems there has recently (past few months) been a shift to using some of the Chinese art works(?), rather than having the US team do re-makes.
~Is this just a temporary filler until you guys catch up?
~Is it because you like them better?
I definitely enjoy the US made splashes better by and large-- they have a depth and richness that the Chinese ones seem to lack. The Chinese ones just seem very 2 dimensional and lacking overall. Then there was, of course, the "Kayle Incident". dem rocks! >

Also, starting with Morgana and Miss Fortune, the in-game icons for these champions have a different (closer-up) scaling on the faces. It is often the hair and bit of clothing that differentiates (easily) one from another.
~Are you concerned (have you considered) that if you continue along this line with all new re-makes, that it will become more and more difficult to 'peripherally' differentiate one champion from another when quick-glancing the mini-map, given that they are now showing mostly just face skin?

this is a great thread that lays it all out: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ht=chinese+art

Black Zephyr

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Well, I'm personally connected to this one. I helped make that call. If there was any chance that one skin was going to look like another or that the in-game model could be confused with another champ, we wanted to lean on the side of differentiation and make them as unique as possible. Gameplay is really critical to us and we felt this decision helped make the overall experience better. It was hotly debated...)
any chance on it getting updated again to at least look just a nice as the old one? and also, i'm still curious about why there was a change to her instead of Syndra, seeing as she came out first...