Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kelberry

10-09-2012

Can the art be more about the champion and less about the breasts. I mean, if we're going to be going by that standard, I want to see some bulges please.

Lagginator

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
League is an evolving game. We update it, add new features and make improvements continually. Instead of doing this as a massive grand-reveal update, we tend to iterate. I think this connects us better with you guys as we get constant feedback on the changes we make and that's really useful.

We think a lot of the art needs an update and want League to get better and better over time. As teams level up, hardware and software improves, and technology makes new things possible, we want to take advantage of these things and use it to make things awesome.
Good job dodging the Soraka question.

Dulzara

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
The gate has been opened. It cannot be shut.
Make the thread, gogogogo.

JohnnyOmega

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Ahem.. RiotNarya is very much a dude =)

Okay fixed in the rumor mill. Feminine pronouns are now masculine. :P

RiotNarya is now a dude.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2452561

Cattington III

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Yeah, I'll address that one for sure. My fault. When I first got to Riot I picked a few champions to have the team play with. It wasn't really based on the priority of most needed. Morgana, Miss Fortune and Tryndamere were among the first we did. Since that time, reworks have been based on popularity and need. Sorry for that goof...) Should be all good now though I'm sure there will continue to be a subjective debate about what's most needed.

Somone should start a community driven voting system that prioritizes reworks. We'd look at that for sure. We do separate base champs from skins while doing reworks. That's simply because there are so many skins it's gonna take us awhile. Base champs we can cover more quickly though each splash takes a lot of time!
so are you saying it was YOU who took away MF holstering her pistols when she was strutting!? if so, boo!

iKeychain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Will Ezreal get a new unique splash? I believe he needs a new classic and Explorer splash art. Frosted Ezreal looks great though.

Syrilic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Hey RiotNarya,
I don't know if Riot has a policy, but what is your opinion of cultural appropriation of certain skins/concepts (see Sultan Tryndamere).

Edit: Also open to any Rioter, such as the almighty parrot who did a wonderful job addressing the gender thread to the best of his abilities (10/10)

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-09-2012
13 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardoroth View Post
Hello, I played against you last night Miss Fortune. Welcome to ze Forums!
YEAH!!!!!!

Was I Malphite or Miss Fortune?

Let's play again. Did you add me?

A

portugalslegend

10-09-2012

Can we get any update on the harrowing map/skins
Just a simple yes or no will suffice

Magi Homura

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raburi View Post
My biggest issue right now in the art department is the splash replacements. Miss Fortune's is GREAT, however, her back is broken. She's a sexualised champion, so I could let it slide. But Lux and Soraka? It doesn't fit at all, so it can only be contributed to sexualisation. IronStylus (and you) covered most of that in his other post anyway, but I wanted to mention it here.

The other thing... is that some choices just feel "wrong" in regards to a few champions. Lux's new splash is GOOD (despite the anatomical anomaly), but her face literally makes her look like a Barbie doll without lipstick on, which doesn't suit Lux's character. Soraka's art, again, is GOOD, but her face? Makes her look like a teenager. I can understand "youthful", seeing as she was immortal, but... THAT young? Doesn't suit her character at all.

I just really want the art department to honour the champion, rather than just sexualising them for the sake of it when you could really do something unique, and create something that die-hard fans of the champion will really fall in love with. It feels like you're cheapening the champions we like to play! Lux and Soraka are my favourite champions, but I can't say I'm in love with their art at all. It's a definite improvement, oh my god, but the small things really just spoil it for me, since they don't reflect the champion and instead go for a "here let me break my spine and get gratuitous amounts of plastic surgery on my face to appeal to you" look.
I really want to like Lux's new artwork. I love the colors and energy it has, but her pose is very off putting. Her barbie doll face doesn't look alive to me, it almost looks synthetic in a way. The map icon of her face makes her look like a bald baby toy.