Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Salamander Joe

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Will do.
Yi too?! (Diamond feet not my thing)

Nasuuna

10-09-2012

You all realize Parrots eat Moths right?

Klendt

10-09-2012

I'm sort of wondering - not trying to be rude here - do you people fully appreciate exactly how huge an impact skins can have on how a character is perceived?
There's Diana, of course, who would have well been IronStylus's greatest moment of design, instead corroded into his biggest failure through no fault of his own because of Dark Valkyrie Diana being the epitome of everything that you guys were trying to AVOID (groan, another 'battle bunny' style death of dignity)
But my own vehemence about seriously wanting a respectable, outwardly strong female who isn't Karma aside, as that's an entirely different subject, what I'm really getting at is how skins can fundamentally redefine what a champion is, using Mordekaiser as an example. Supposedly, the idea behind him is that nobody really knows what is in that armor. I understand that. But a lot of people don't, because Pentakill Mordekaiser and his rockin' pectorals.
That's all it took. Extremely not-canon shirtless, rawkin' out dude skin, and suddenly, the conveyance of what this character is is out the window.

Does this sort of thing get discussed often? The impression I've been getting is that the character designers and the skin designers and the writers have almost no communication going on when it matters most.

Again, I apologize for the tone here, but these things really bug me.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-09-2012
11 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penakoto View Post
Do you guys keep a huge list of "Needs new art / models", or do you do things one or two at a time?
There's a list. It's a prioritized list.

..it's a long list.

Talith PA

10-09-2012

Taric also needs a rework. Give him hammer lessons from Jayce! Also, he needs hair that flows in the wind. He could be the Fabio of LoL.

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-09-2012
12 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWRX View Post
Why did Morgana and Tryndamere get their 3rd new splash art, while Nunu, Cho, Tristana and many other beta champs havent gotten their's yet?
Yeah, I'll address that one for sure. My fault. When I first got to Riot I picked a few champions to have the team play with. It wasn't really based on the priority of most needed. Morgana, Miss Fortune and Tryndamere were among the first we did. Since that time, reworks have been based on popularity and need. Sorry for that goof...) Should be all good now though I'm sure there will continue to be a subjective debate about what's most needed.

Somone should start a community driven voting system that prioritizes reworks. We'd look at that for sure. We do separate base champs from skins while doing reworks. That's simply because there are so many skins it's gonna take us awhile. Base champs we can cover more quickly though each splash takes a lot of time!

Dulzara

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Ahem.. RiotNarya is very much a dude =)

A man who uses Monarch Kog'maw as his icon?

I think I just found out I'm gay.

Penakoto

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
There's a list. It's a prioritized list.

..it's a long list.
Who exactly is on the list then, who you can tell us about? I can probably think of a good dozen of champions in need of new artwork of some kind, but the only confirmed champion I know of is Sion.

Firebug

10-09-2012

Great Pumpkin Heimerdinger! Where?! Keep up the good work!!

Zerglinator

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Someone should start a community driven voting system that prioritizes reworks. We'd look at that for sure.
The gate has been opened. It cannot be shut.