Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XenoIith

10-09-2012

Im hoping the conclusion of the investigation will be given to us soon !

MacroVirus

10-09-2012

@RedBeard Sorry you have to go through this all. It is just the growing pains of a popular sport and the efforts by you and your staff to put together the best possible event for the fans.

Keep up the good work.

Watch my matches stream nightly @ 9 PM - 12 AM Eastern
http://www.own3d.tv/macrovirus
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/GeorgeWomick

LadyAzalea

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHOMNRNDSVG View Post
One thing I find strange is the contradiction between Reginald from TSM's posts in various venues about how he is 100% sure there won't be a rematch and that Riot will not do anything, and Riot's insistence that they are performing a full investigation with results to come shortly.

He has claimed that they cannot (and/or) will not do anything because of the schedule of the matches to come and the already mangled playoff schedule from last weekend.

It suggests that he has already been told by Riot what the outcome will be. Surely if there was any chance of a rematch his team would have been told to keep practicing and be ready.

If he is so sure that they will not be given a rematch, then doesn't it seem like Riot is just putting on a farce with this "investigation" to quell the masses?

This is the kind of rhetorical question that will not get a Riot response, but such is life.

Just stating the obvious.
I made a huge post about letting Riot do their jobs and being patience while they announce the results of the investigation a handful of pages ago, buuut here we go. Again.

Although TSM may be reporting that a rematch may not happen, it could be very possible that Riot told them this. It could also be that they do not want to go through the chaos of a rematch anyway and so it's basically their way of saying "Yes we lost, but such is life, can't change things now, the show must go on." If I recall seeing some pages ago, TSM was offered a rematch after the 2nd instance of "cheating" apparently reported, and they didn't want a rematch. Whether or not that is true, I have no idea.

Anyway. Back to Riot. If Riot did tell TSM there wouldn't be a rematch, that doesn't mean they're trying to "quell the masses" or "sweep things under the rug." It means that in terms of action, a rematch is not going to happen. That does not, however, mean that teams caught cheating will be penalized in other ways-- be DQ'ed from the tournament, lose some amount of money, lose ladder ranking points, etc.

Due to time, Riot may know that a rematch is not plausible. However, it doesn't mean they have to announce that right away even if that is the case. Let them announce their entire investigation results and course of action together when they are ready. They may have options that they are considering if it comes down to it, but may not for sure know the best course of action they wish to take (even including a possible rematch which TSM denies will happen and they feel may not be plausible) until they have finalized results. Give them a break and let them do their jobs. The answers-- whether or not the community approves of them-- will come sooner or later.

Gun Pierson

10-09-2012

Ofcourse the AF player didn't look at the minimap, it was the siren with big boobs just beneath the mini map that caught his attention. Her call was too stronk.

LoRDRoast

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Sorry if this is already answered but I didn't want to wade through all 50 red posts, why are the games being played so late? When they were being played earlier (for me at 2pm) I was able to watch a lot of them before I had to go to work at 7, now that they're being played so late I can't watch any of them and all my excitement for watching the clg we game has left. Why would you make them play so much later in the day?

LadyAzalea

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRDRoast View Post
Sorry if this is already answered but I didn't want to wade through all 50 red posts, why are the games being played so late? When they were being played earlier (for me at 2pm) I was able to watch a lot of them before I had to go to work at 7, now that they're being played so late I can't watch any of them and all my excitement for watching the clg we game has left. Why would you make them play so much later in the day?
It's the earliest available time that worked with the venue and having to prepare for the Championship match Saturday.

Qutse

10-09-2012

Can one of the casters use thundersticks while the other caster talks real loud and fast during team fights. That would help the atmosphere thanks.

Impawsible

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrumugun View Post
How should i watch this as an EUW player? 5 pm Pacific Time means 2 am for me. The first semi-final will be around 4 am or even later. So i have to stay up the whole night and apply for holiday on Thursday, just to watch the semi-finals. I was up till 3 am in the morning (or even later) on last Saturday / Sunday, waiting for the games to continue and now you tell me, i have to do it again. Sorry, but i am very disappointed. If you cannot find good starting times for all of us on Wednesday, than delay it further. I can wait for a good solution, but this is a bad solution for all european players who have to work.
You cant please everyone. Im sure the asians feel the same way. Deal with it.

Impawsible

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggimannd View Post
Everyone else uses booths for their big tournaments. Fact is booths would have been the best option.
oh the good ole' everyone else does it! It must be really effective statement.

XxxLumberJackxxX

10-09-2012

I just sent this in as a support ticket. Please take it constructively as it is intended:

Hello Riot,

I was very much enjoying all of the streaming I could catch last weekend, and like everyone else I was disappointed in the crashes on day 3. Going on about all of the problems right now will not help.
What will help is how to learn from this situation.

I would like to provide you with an idea for the future.

I hope that you had someone on your staff who was experienced in live concerts/theater/shows who's voice was just not heard during all of this as it wasn't apparent from the stream, but what you really need is a good Production Assistant/ Stage Management/ Assistant Producer Team. This team would be 1-3 people who are in charge of communicating with all of the players and technical staff about scheduling changes/conflicts/interviews etc. They would also assist/ have a voice in the design and implementation of the design for all of the shows. This would have prevented the sun glare issues, the video screens being in an easily viewed place, and the fact that the team set up was NOT conducive to being filmed at all.

During the show this team would be in charge of making sure everything flows smoothly. Getting everyone on and off the stage in the correct way. Communicating with the various branches of IT/Management/Film/etc about any issues to resolve or last minute fixes. They are also responsible for thinking on their feet and creating last minute fixes. When something has to be cancelled/stopped/postponed they are the ones to either make that call or to contact and GET AN ANSWER from the authorities as to that call asap. Then the team will immediately move to make this happen, as planning for contingencies falls into their responsibility as well. This includes communicating with the audience/players/casters/event organizers what is happening.

As someone who spent 5 years working in live theater doing lighting, special effects, and stage management, as well as experience in gaming for a living (I am now professional poker player and freelance for fun in theater and TV as a stagehand) and has played on camera and live streams I was grossly dissapointed with how this was handled in every way and I would like to see you hire someone in the future do close this gap that I can see from the other side of the country. Few other people know how clearly the ball was dropped by what is probably dozens of people. Although I do believe your intentions were always good, if that helps .

Moving forward the lesson to learn is - Hire experienced people who know what you need, as well as what problems you may have in getting there. If you 'thought' you had hired them for this show, you did not, switch companies/do more interviews/find someone else because they dropped the ball completely.

If Riot is going to be a leader in eSports, not just in creating the games to be played but in sponsoring/hosting the tournaments it is ESSENTIAL you find a good team of people to head your Live Events division.

I am looking forward to seeing this event finished. I know you will improve in the future, and please don't let the fact that day 3 fell flat on it's face fog up the fact that days 1 and 2 went very well.
Have a great day.