Sona potentially #1 support, but people aren't building her right

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Epjest

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by And it was K View Post
The main reason people fail with her is that they max W and play her like a healer. Max Q. Poke to victory.
^ speaks truth.

Duskdeep

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

I started Faerie+2ward+1pink+1mana

I pink warded the river brush and, despite Nocturne showing up, my MissFortune kept extending to their turret. Every. Single. Time. I would fall back but she would just keep farming under their turret. I mean wtf?

Supaka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by G? G View Post
1/22/7 masteries

Core: Philo, Chalice, Aegis, Merc's Treads/Ninja Tabi

She's squishy and needs to be built a little tanky. Tear is garbage, Chalice is godmode, with Grail basically her Infinity Edge.

Aegis is godly on her if you max out her W early. Almost gives everyone free Chain Vests and Negatron Cloaks, plus more on whoever you're healing. Rank 5 W and Aegis in a mid game team fight is backbreaking.

Shurelia's + Grail + masteries will nearly reach CDR cap.

She doesn't need a ton of extra health, Aegis and Shurelia's should be okay, armor and MR make her self-heal more efficient.

MP/5 from Philo and masteries, multiplied by Chalice/Grail, gives her infinite mana, I think I've hit over 120 MP5 with certain builds.
Consider her skills take 65 mana to cast. 120mp5 would dictate you would need to cast more than 1 skill every 2.5 seconds.

Grail is no good for Sona regardless, her ap ratios are some of the worst in game.

Boots + wards to start. B @ 800 for Philo, always. HoG next. Boots of Lucidity (with her mobility, you shouldn't be cc'd enough to require Merc Treads) followed by Aegis.

By the time you can afford an Aegis you should be getting into team fights.

Chalice is not needed, you play in a lane where the most dmg is coming from the enemy ADC... if Mid were snowballing or the enemy team had some really serious CC advantage I'd consider it but most of the time I don't sweat it. If bottom lane had a double AD (rare) I'd get ninja tabi.

One of the benefits of Aegis is the parts are all super cheap 300-475 so you can pick something up every return and still get more wards.

If game goes past that it's situational but I'll buy either a negatron or a chain vest.

Grail though... never. AP ratios are bad and you REALLY don't need the mana regen. Masteries + Philo are all you should ever need.

Also,

Skill sequence, always:
Q,W,Q,E,Q,R,Q,E,Q,E

Max R > Q > E > W. Her heal and armor buff only help you when you are being attacked; your Q is great for poking only if you level it first and constantly. E is key for securing kills for the team through the speed boost and 40% slow.

Supaka

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROMkill View Post
I disagree. I grab chalice ASAP so that I can have mana enough for skirmishes, dragon fights, and extended late-game fights. Sona without chalice just runs out of mana too fast.

You should be almost constantly going back to base to buy more wards after a skirmish. You'll only ever run low on mana when someone tries to gank you and you dump W/E to get away from it.

If I'm gearing up for a teamfight I've got mana... philo is truly overpowered. Whenever I'm kinda low on mana I just stop casting for a very short time (30-45 seconds) and I'm good to go again!

GROMkill

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaka View Post

Also,

Skill sequence, always:
Q,W,Q,E,Q,R,Q,E,Q,E

Max R > Q > E > W. Her heal and armor buff only help you when you are being attacked; your Q is great for poking only if you level it first and constantly. E is key for securing kills for the team through the speed boost and 40% slow.
I'd say max W before E. With that W aura up in teamfights, it's like another aegis. Check out the scaling on it. Also, if you max W second, your lane sustain becomes very good.

Verxl

10-09-2012

Quote:
I disagree. I grab chalice ASAP so that I can have mana enough for skirmishes, dragon fights, and extended late-game fights. Sona without chalice just runs out of mana too fast.
Or you could actually manage your mana instead of spamming your face on the keyboard?

Supaka

10-09-2012

Quote:
I'd say max W before E. With that W aura up in teamfights, it's like another aegis. Check out the scaling on it. Also, if you max W second, your lane sustain becomes very good.
It's really apples and oranges I guess, I should have mentioned it really depends on your playstyle.

In lane, I'm a very heavy poker. You have to capitalize on her low level nuking I'm sure we can all agree. Having E maxed second gives you that edge in chasing opponents. One of my favorite LoL moves is Flash + Ult with Sona with an E power chord charged ready to debuff the enemy after I've caught them. You can REALLY close gaps well with her when you level E first.

If I were getting beaten on pretty heavily in lane I'd consider splitting the points with W but I never try to level up W... I rely on my adc to be smart enough to not constantly be soaking up damage in lane. I have no reservations telling my ADC to use a pot if his health is like 2/3rds and he is farming.

W is more a clutch for me and her least useful skill overall.

Arcus Veles

10-09-2012

I get a very similar build. Your negative message won't get upvotes though. The last thing you should be doing is telling people the secrets of Sona (or any support) anyways, you'll just get them unjustifiably nerfed because they can't rob supports of their utility so they'll just make them do no damage, heal/shield no health and set their base MS to 300 so they die in every gank.

We need the Secret Society of Support Players. All supports are currently worthless, stop playing them, they're all too UP, stick to Volibear and Jarvan support because supporting is "boring" and you won't find champs like Sona, Taric and Janna exciting or useful at all.

TyroneChanSenpai

10-09-2012

... I used to main Sona
honestly rush Philo and HoG and boots 1 cuz honestly, u need at least 2 gold/10 items to buy wards for your team lol
and then adjust to the team
your team has 2 or more champs that benefit from attack speed/life steal? rush Zekes
team needs tanky stats? go Aegis
Team needs better initiation/escape? Shurelias
You yourself need a bunch of armor? Frozen Heart/Randuins/ maybe Locket
MR? Abyssal Scepter, Banshees Veil, Chalice->grail

honestly supports shouldn't have a fixed build... yes Chalice is good on her, but I only take it if I have to spam my heal to keep my carry alive
yes Grail is good mid-late game when you're just basically mashing out your skills

and Lucidity is bad whoever said that
you get a bunch of CDR items anyways even as AP (DFG Grail)

also, never ever have less than 21 in Utility
Sona is a support that's probably best with Flash because of the Flash Ult initiation she can do
having 21 in utility gives you CDR, Mana Regen, Gold, and the best part, less CD on your summoners
I go 0/9/21

skill order should also depend on situation
losing lanes and getting your pokes outsustained? probably should max W so your AD can actually farm
poke oriented bot comp? max Q
probably should max E last, it's good for the slow for the power chord, but it isn't as good as it used to be

Supaka

10-09-2012

Quote:
By the way, the scaling on W is 20+HP per rank and +3 armor/mr per rank.

The difference between rank 1 and 5 is definitely noticeable but from rank 1-2 is negligible.

Rank 0-1 is pretty big though +8 armor/mr and +40 hp. The ap ratio is only 20%.

If you wanna play a healer, Soraka is your best bet.