Initial Honor Results

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wood Style

10-09-2012

I haven't changed my attitude even after the Honor initiative. I rarely blame someone for doing bad. I mean, everyone gets a few bad games here and there. I recognize that I am playing with other people too--people with feelings. I never troll (grief), but apparently even the definition of trolling has changed quite a lot. To some people, unintentional feeding and intentional feeding are synonymous with trolling, lmfao. Like seriously? That's ridiculous. I just don't understand how people are still extremely contemptible. The dawn of the 21st century, you would expect something different, huh...?

Please No Feed

10-09-2012

Could we expect to see expanded options for honor? For example, would it be possible that eventually members of the other team could be honored for being "helpful" or "friendly"? This is because sometimes members of the other team will be more friendly than members of my own team and they may give advice that I know will help in the future. It just doesn't feel right to give them Honor for being an "honorable opponent" when there are better options that would fit how they behaved.

Valorius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-09-2012

Hey Lyte. I have noticed what seems to be a minimal trend to misunderstand the point of Honorable Opponent and Helpful.
A couple friends and some strangers tend to give out "Honorable Opponent" points to those who own them (or own in general), rather than those who are good sports. Something similar, albeit far less common, is people using "Helpful" instead of "Teamwork", when teamwork would be the right one. Is there a way to know if that tendency is actually pervasive through out the Honor system?

Cirrusstrafe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Barrel View Post
If it gets under your skin to be interacting with jerks, to the point where even when they are behaving well you assume they are jerks and get irritated anyway, the internet is probably not the best place to spend your leisure time.
It's not that it gets under my skin to be interacting with jerks so much as I think people should understand what is actually happening as opposed to rose tinting the honor system as heavily as I have seen in this thread.

Pimpinabox

10-09-2012

That 0.63% of players actively trying to trade honor must all be at my elo. I've seen 1 every game ask in pregame lobby or after game. Still, this has clearly shut up a bunch of those players who were borderline toxic and people are actively behaving themselves. GJ Riot.

TrippyHippie

10-09-2012

I personally didn't know that there was such a thing as honor trading. I don't read every post about every new thing I played a few games with some friends and noticed it and was like oh look a new feature and we gave each other honor as well as people on our team and the enemy team. I now know to use it a lot more sparingly only on players who truly deserve it. I really like this feature and am looking forward to what it has in store for the future. I know i am not the only one fed up with toxic players in the community, and i'm also not the only one who uses the tribunal. I don't do it very often because the ip reward is low but I do like to weed out bad apples.

Gonzodamus

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusstrafe View Post
Treat the cause, not the symptom.
I'd say that instead of trying to change people, change the system to better suit the people, which is what they have done.

Riot can't be expected to solve for people being jerks on the internet

IS1dcd9a4f2ff9a3

10-09-2012

Why can we see other people's honor but NOT crests, unless we are in a game lobby with them?

Drummuh Dude

10-09-2012

LYTE -

First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer the community's questions about Honor! I was curious about Honor Crests: Is there a certain amount of honor required (total or per-category) to unlock them, or do you have to average X honors per game (or y% of all recent players honor you)? I'm not looking for specific numbers here, just the method used to determine who receives them.

FrozenStorm

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusstrafe View Post
The person? Not enough love shown to them as a child?

No, seriously.

Not enough reason for them not to misbehave? This is just a horrible thing. People shouldn't downright require incentive and rewards to not be disgusting to one another (I refuse to use the T word because I find it freaking hilariously overused). This system is basically sweeping the problem under the rug.

I don't expect Riot to deploy a crack team of psychiatrists to try and alchemize garbage to gold, but throwing treats at them to get them to shut up just seems like we're freaking rewarding them for being terrible people. This isn't a smart system so much as a gauze patch to try and lessen the symptom.

Don't try to hide it. This system wasn't made to reward us nice guys, it was made to discourage wrongdoing by positive reinforcement. It isn't for us, it's for them. It's for the jerks. They're still jerks and just hiding it really well. They're still getting rewards, they're still playing the game, they still exist in the community and are now practicing their hiding-in-plain-sight game. That's the problem.

Of course, there doesn't seem to have ever been a system that actually does fix this problem.

I'm not trying to say we should remove this system, hell it probably won't even have to undergo much of a reform to be more effective, but I am saying that a lot of you need to stop sheeping into 'BEST SYSTEM EVAR NO FLAWS TOTAL WORKING COMMUNITY ISH SO MUCH BETTAR NAO' and, I dunno, think about it a bit more.

I sympathize with these sentiments, Cirrusstrafe. This isn't a permanent 'fix' to the rampant misbehavior of the internet, and like you say, its an extremely difficult problem that doesn't have an easy solution.

And while many are guilty of fanboyism towards this (probably me as well), I personally will say this is the greatest effort I've seen by any company to try and combat the problem. What with the Summoner's Code, the Tribunal, Honor, I mean purely by having a whole team at the company dedicated to trying solutions, I give Riot a good deal of respect for these efforts.

That said, something like what DotA2 was proposing with a 'mentoring' system would be another excellent addition here, and I'm very much looking forward to such a system for LoL (I'm a patient guy and don't mind showing newbies the ropes).