@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wordofmask

Junior Member

10-09-2012

My opinion is Rios has a big part in making many stereotyped characters. West - justice, reasonableness East - spirit, so many fapable female characters and there is small place for SEA theme character (ie - muaythai lee sin skin) since SEA is a very little part in gaming industry compared with China, Japan, Korea.
however I can understand them.

sorry for my english.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karolina

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailsúpport View Post
Ugh I really hope you die... A very painful death. You are a disgrace to the male gender.
I really hope you grow up. You are a disgrace to the human race :T


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emailsúpport

Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina View Post
I really hope you grow up. You are a disgrace to the human race :T
Respond to my argument and not to my insult or you've just proven yourself wrong.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tempnameA461

Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina View Post
I really hope you grow up. You are a disgrace to the human race :T
They say that when you're snoring, you aren't dreaming.
I have this theory that older people usually snore because they've grown up, and given up on their dreams.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Light Fantastic

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amedaius View Post
That's exactly what it means. If females are put off enough by it, they won't play. If riot feels they are losing enough dollars from women not playing, they will change. It's the law of capitalism. Riot is breaking no laws, and has every right to cater completely and totally to a single demographic, even though I personally don't believe that they have.

Women also have other solutions available; they can game with friends, use custom skins, or simply enjoy the game as it is while staying gender-neutral. Not all women are put off by the game that much, as is obvious by the OP's post. In fact, I know of a few personally that really like the style and art for both the female and male champions. LoL has a rather positive reputation of being very connected with the artistic community, and for good reason.
It's not like LoL started with a 50:50 gender split among the player base, or has that now. Riot entered a market where the target audience is male by a rather huge majority - and don't get me wrong, that's not Riot's fault, it's a problem with internet culture in general. Granted, it's slowly being eroded, but it's still very prevalent among video games. So when Riot creates sexualised champs and skins to make them appeal to a straight male player base, they're not creating the problem, but they are perpetuating it. I know a lot of women who would try videogames but for the perception that they're for men, and having female champion art and skins be as highly sexualised as, say, MF and Morgana, doesn't help with that impression.

(And yes, MF is sexualised and Olaf isn't. Large muscular men are designed to look badass to blokes, not sexy to women. Are some girls going to find Olaf attractive? Sure. Is he sexualised? Hell no.)

I say this. Riot has been better than a lot of companies in this respect; Riven, Lux and Diana are all steps in the right direction. The Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive series come to mind as one of the most egregious offenders - Ivy is an abomination in terms of character design. But I make these points because I know Riot has made somewhat of an effort and are very approachable on forums like these and I know they could do better.

Not because of feminism, and not even necessarily to make the game more appealing to women, but because female champion designs in this game are intensely boring at the moment. I'm sick of the "skinny girl with boobs out/ass shot and generic fantasy outfit" that seems to be 75% of all female champs because you can't make the same generalisation for male champs, and that sucks. There are so many female tropes out there that haven't been touched on, so many female monsters or mythical characters. Turning Soraka from a bizarre-looking unicorn... thing, into the waifu that she is now, I found intensely sad. Not because Soraka's old design was necessarily attractive, but it was different. That's what this game needs more of.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Remember Pluto

Senior Member

10-09-2012

I laughed my ass reading the OP. He seems to think if that if a female champ is facing the viewer it equals over sexualized. Lux ,Fiora, LeBlanc, Leona are you srs? Leona isn't wear high heels her boots just have heels on them like almost all female and to less extremes male boots.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emailsúpport

Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Fantastic View Post
It's not like LoL started with a 50:50 gender split among the player base, or has that now. Riot entered a market where the target audience is male by a rather huge majority - and don't get me wrong, that's not Riot's fault, it's a problem with internet culture in general. Granted, it's slowly being eroded, but it's still very prevalent among video games. So when Riot creates sexualised champs and skins to make them appeal to a straight male player base, they're not creating the problem, but they are perpetuating it. I know a lot of women who would try videogames but for the perception that they're for men, and having female champion art and skins be as highly sexualised as, say, MF and Morgana, doesn't help with that impression.

(And yes, MF is sexualised and Olaf isn't. Large muscular men are designed to look badass to blokes, not sexy to women. Are some girls going to find Olaf attractive? Sure. Is he sexualised? Hell no.)

I say this. Riot has been better than a lot of companies in this respect; Riven, Lux and Diana are all steps in the right direction. The Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive series come to mind as one of the most egregious offenders - Ivy is an abomination in terms of character design. But I make these points because I know Riot has made somewhat of an effort and are very approachable on forums like these and I know they could do better.

Not because of feminism, and not even necessarily to make the game more appealing to women, but because female champion designs in this game are intensely boring at the moment. I'm sick of the "skinny girl with boobs out/ass shot and generic fantasy outfit" that seems to be 75% of all female champs because you can't make the same generalisation for male champs, and that sucks. There are so many female tropes out there that haven't been touched on, so many female monsters or mythical characters. Turning Soraka from a bizarre-looking unicorn... thing, into the waifu that she is now, I found intensely sad. Not because Soraka's old design was necessarily attractive, but it was different. That's what this game needs more of.
You're missing the point, most females want to be pretty when they play and play sexy/good looking whatever champions. Most females do not care about these issues and that is why Riot wont look into this.
I do agree we should have more REAL female monsters like Cho and Kog'Maw.
And guess what? It wasn't the intention of Riot to make Soraka ugly, she just received her rework much later than every other champion. Look at the oldest Ashe for example... So disgustingly ugly.
There are still champions with their oldest models like Nidalee, Rammus, Taric and a few more but they got their splash arts updated at least.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emailsúpport

Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember Pluto View Post
I laughed my ass reading the OP. He seems to think if that if a female champ is facing the viewer it equals over sexualized. Lux ,Fiora, LeBlanc, Leona are you srs? Leona isn't wear high heels her boots just have heels on them like almost all female and to less extremes male boots.
I do agree that Ahri and MF are somewhat sexual, Cassiopeia too, but that's in their lore.
I for instance do not look at Vayne as sexualized in any single way, nor Leona for that matter.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CannotDeny

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Does anybody here even play the game or do we just look for things to make an issue out of?
If a girl wants to play a videogame, then she'll play a videogame and not decide to whine on the forums about how every female has more curves than her. Just like every skinny twig male doesn't go on the forums and complain how all the men are so much more bulked than they are.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Light Fantastic

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailsúpport View Post
You're missing the point, most females want to be pretty when they play and play sexy/good looking whatever champions. Most females do not care about these issues and that is why Riot wont look into this.
I do agree we should have more REAL female monsters like Cho and Kog'Maw.
And guess what? It wasn't the intention of Riot to make Soraka ugly, she just received her rework much later than every other champion. Look at the oldest Ashe for example... So disgustingly ugly.
There are still champions with their oldest models like Nidalee, Rammus, Taric and a few more but they got their splash arts updated at least.
Re: Soraka - compare her old and new designs. It's not like old Soraka is ugly by accident - her design is clearly a lot more animalistic and monstrous. She's not designed to be an attractive female, she's designed to be a female monster. The remake made her just sort of generically pretty wood elf/nymph thing, and that's sad. Soraka's old design, outdated as it was, was at least unique, both in this game and in the world of fantasy in general. I would argue that her new design is both less distinctive and less interesting, for the sake of being "prettier". Even Old Soraka's Chinese splash art did the same thing, by hiding all her inhuman features and making her sideboob the focal point of the image.

And I'm not making these comments for the benefit of women. I like playing female champs, I want more diverse female champ designs, I am the one that has a problem with female champs having more visible cleavage than face in-game (looking at you, Sona). I don't pretend to speak for women because I'm not female - these are my impressions and the things that I don't like.