Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MCHOMNRNDSVG

Junior Member

10-09-2012

One thing I find strange is the contradiction between Reginald from TSM's posts in various venues about how he is 100% sure there won't be a rematch and that Riot will not do anything, and Riot's insistence that they are performing a full investigation with results to come shortly.

He has claimed that they cannot (and/or) will not do anything because of the schedule of the matches to come and the already mangled playoff schedule from last weekend.

It suggests that he has already been told by Riot what the outcome will be. Surely if there was any chance of a rematch his team would have been told to keep practicing and be ready.

If he is so sure that they will not be given a rematch, then doesn't it seem like Riot is just putting on a farce with this "investigation" to quell the masses?

This is the kind of rhetorical question that will not get a Riot response, but such is life.

Just stating the obvious.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phanman

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Riot cannot afford the time to replay the entire playoffs, which would be the only 100% fair way given the wide spectrum of cheating that was seen.

They also cannot afford to DQ half the teams.

Riot is going to give WE and CLG.EU a fresh set of Bo3 and then fall on the sword and admit to poor stage design on their part and then move on. That or cop out and just claim evidence was "inconclusive."

Certainly far from the best outcome but this will keep the tournament moving forward and is unfortunately the most practical way out for Riot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pavi132

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubajake View Post
I don't know if this has been addressed, but everyone appears to be approaching this the wrong way. Firstly, I feel a DQ is too harsh a punishment for any of the teams accused of cheating because Riot slipped up and allowed the possibility in the first place.

This is the world championships people, it's about the best team winning, and in this case, earning a million dollars. Because the "proof" is both damning and inconclusive, I believe the games in question should be replayed fairly, as intended. I appreciate the inconvenience to the viewers, but in the end, this championship is about finding the best team, whilst providing an experience to the viewers, not the other way around. No disrespect to Riot, your response, attitude and ethics have been exceptional in this time and we all appreciate it.

For those telling Riot how stupid their mistakes were, how many more times do you want them to say "Yes, we know, we accept that we goofed and we are sorry"...... They understand they could have fixed this or that, it's up to them to show us they can fix it. We need to give them a chance to prove themselves, and I for one and sure they will. They have done nothing but accept their mistakes, and this is something we should appreciate.

P.s. You've been replying to these all day while I've been at work Redbeard. Would you like to swap? :P
I agree with your first point, a DQ would be a knee-jerk reaction to the issue that wouldn't benefit anybody.

Second point, I disagree with. I am of the opinion that booths would have helped immensely. Even if they aren't different from the headphones in terms of the sound they block out, the back and sides can be made opaque such that the players cannot see behind them or to the sides, which would have alleviated the cheating accusations while also allowing the audience to watch the players. Also, why can't they just use both the booth and headphones? Why does Riot believe that they are above using booths when they are a standard in e-sports? So, yes, we do need to keep discussing the errors because they don't seem to think of this as an error and don't plan on fixing or changing this. They haven't accepted this as a mistake.

I also get the feeling that no matter what they find in terms of evidence for cheating, nothing is going to change because it would be inconvenient for them to replay games given their time constraints. So, whether a team happened to cheat or not, nothing is going to change.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jgrhymes

Senior Member

10-09-2012

ARAM can get you disqualified but straight cheating can win you $2 million.

I can't really take the tournament seriously at this point. Were we really going with the honor system?

"The screen is right over there but don't look at it, okay?"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Caucxican

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi132 View Post
I also get the feeling that no matter what they find in terms of evidence for cheating, nothing is going to change because it would be inconvenient for them to replay games given their time constraints. So, whether a team happened to cheat or not, nothing is going to change.
No other sporting event has cheaters replay games ever...they just get sent home.

cheating in college just gets you kicked out of school. You don't retake the test. Etc.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teague Wan

Senior Member

10-09-2012

obviously a cheat, investigate? lol


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucxican View Post
No other sporting event has cheaters replay games ever...they just get sent home.

cheating in college just gets you kicked out of school. You don't retake the test. Etc.

Generally speaking, most sports and colleges don't create situations where the participants have an enormous screen in full view behind them with all the information required for them to cheat. In other words, no stadium in the NFL is rigged up such that both teams playbooks are projected on the jumbotron for everyone to see with the understanding that the opposing teams won't look up for the sake of fair play.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Envyz

Master Recruiter

10-09-2012

Which Date does ELO Reset???
@RIOT


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phanman

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyzHere View Post
Which Date does ELO Reset???
@RIOT
Season 2 ends October 23rd.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

judgeshowtunes

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
Sorry for the delay It should be wrapped up soon, and I know you guys want information. Still, it's more important that we get things right than rush to judgment!

I'll make sure RedBeard gets a nice present from the team after the finals are over. He works as hard or harder than anyone I know at Riot. He cares deeply about making the next events that much better by learning from our mistakes.
Seriously, can't think of another Rioter who has been this forthcoming with information so soon after something happened. Redbeard really deserves a break/reward lol.