How to not win at League of Legends: Soraka

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fayt Saotome

10-09-2012

Soraka is still good and a lot of my wins come from using Soraka. Soraka is more than just pressing W, she is strong.

get dat birdman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by And it was K View Post
If you mean teamfights, I'd rather have slightly less armor from Taric along with his stun. And damage Aura. And Armor debuff. And I'd say, after Soraka, he's probably the least effective at protecting a carry in team fights.
Here's the thing with Taric vs. Soraka.

1. His heal is on a fairly long cooldown, too, unless you can manage to melee. (Generally not the best idea.)
2. You either get the armor debuff, or the armor aura, not both. With Soraka, you get both the MR aura and the MR shred. Interestingly, at max rank, 2 Qs from Soraka shreds as much as an Abyssal Scepter would.
3. His stun is effectively the same as her silence.
4. The key difference between them is their ult - his provides a damage boost, hers heals. Both are situational.

Also, if people don't take Starcall at least 1 point while in lane, as support Soraka, they're doing it wrong. Soraka can and should be played as aggressively as a Sona, while not as much as Blitzcrank.

Fayt Saotome

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomajRT View Post

1. His heal is on a fairly long cooldown, too, unless you can manage to melee. (Generally not the best idea.)
2. You either get the armor debuff, or the armor aura, not both. With Soraka, you get both the MR aura and the MR shred. Interestingly, at max rank, 2 Qs from Soraka shreds as much as an Abyssal Scepter would.
4. The key difference between them is their ult - his provides a damage boost, hers heals. Both are situational.

Also, if people don't take Starcall at least 1 point while in lane, as support Soraka, they're doing it wrong. Soraka can and should be played as aggressively as a Sona, while not as much as Blitzcrank.
Pretty much this.

Enjuine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomajRT View Post

1 Taric, like Alistar, would be viable without the heal. He is actually able to protect a carr by way of being Taric. Heals are icing on the cake.
2 MR shredding/buffs is the only area Soraka really beats Taric definitively. If both teams for some reason went all AP carries, Soraka would be godmode. I'm assuming the Armor buff here. It's usually better to hold it unless you are going to pure burst.
3 No. No. No. Not even close. In some situations, the silence can be as good, even a little better. This is only vs casting reliant champions and again, the only offensive use of this is to prevent people from using escapes. Also, Taric stunning the AD carry is a big deal when trading in lane. Soraka silencing them really doesn't even matter.
4 Yes, Taric's ult is his weakpoint, and Soraka's is as good.

People keep saying "If you can't play her aggressively, you are doing it wrong" but in reality it is "If your opponents aren't killing you when you play aggressively, they are doing it wrong." If a Raka ever steps out, you kill her, or the AD if she protects herself. 1 or the other.

Officer Scoots

10-09-2012

It's a shame really. Soraka used to be my go to champ, then blitz became the favorite support of the year. On top of all the nerfs it was just too much, so I completely abandoned the support role for months. If I happened to be forced bot I will support teemo or jarvan and even nunu before it was cool.

get dat birdman

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnLocTov View Post
1 Taric, like Alistar, would be viable without the heal. He is actually able to protect a carr by way of being Taric. Heals are icing on the cake.
So you're saying that the MR aura she gives, and the silence, doesn't protect your AD carry from the magic damage harass from Tristana (for example) and whatever support she happens to have? I think you're vastly underestimating her capability to protect without the heal. The MR aura mitigates damage from several AD carries, and every support. Moreover, if she's the one acting the shield for the ADC, then she's the one taking the majority of the damage, and thus the heal ends up benefiting her more than the ADC.

Quote:
2 MR shredding/buffs is the only area Soraka really beats Taric definitively. If both teams for some reason went all AP carries, Soraka would be godmode. I'm assuming the Armor buff here. It's usually better to hold it unless you are going to pure burst.
Or, if for some reason, the enemy team has a double AP comp. If that's the case, there are three champions that are going to give consistent magic damage (both APs and the support) to your team, possibly four (if there's an AP jungler) to your team. And on your team, there are always going to be at least two consistent sources of AP damage, and even some AD junglers provide a lot of magic damage. The Starcall shred does a lot of work.

Quote:
3 No. No. No. Not even close. In some situations, the silence can be as good, even a little better. This is only vs casting reliant champions and again, the only offensive use of this is to prevent people from using escapes. Also, Taric stunning the AD carry is a big deal when trading in lane. Soraka silencing them really doesn't even matter.
Okay, so explain how Sona does so well in lane, and she doesn't have a stun until level 6 - a stun that also happens to be a skill shot, not a point and click like Infuse or Dazzle? She has as much harass as Soraka does (and once Soraka has Starcall, Soraka actually has more harass). The best that Sona has is a slow - which she has to use a lot of mana for, by the way. And who is to say the silence need go on the ADC? What about silencing the enemy support? Plus, Infuse is actually effective as a harass tool! Dazzle usually isn't. And while we're at it, I don't understand how you can claim Karma is a better support (she's not), when she provides fewer cc capabilities than any other support (a slow and, a bigger slow).

Quote:
People keep saying "If you can't play her aggressively, you are doing it wrong" but in reality it is "If your opponents aren't killing you when you play aggressively, they are doing it wrong." If a Raka ever steps out, you kill her, or the AD if she protects herself. 1 or the other.
There's a big difference between "can't" play Soraka aggressively and "won't." I'm saying if you WILL NOT play her aggressively, you are doing it wrong. There is a time and a place for Soraka, just like every other support, but at the same time, if you don't make use of her toolkit, and just sit in the bush and press W/E on your ADC all day, then you are doing it wrong. The support is there to harass the enemies, and make plays.

Malah

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
105 Armor

105 Armor

105 ARMOR

(Among other things.)
Akali!

DIE!

Kotolok

10-09-2012

No. I respectfully disagree, and will go further to say you've either been watching too much meta support or don't play the role as extensively as you do your other roles. The soraka you're describing is absolutely terrible.

Your best-case for Trist-Raka involved Raka not getting caught, which is precisely the opposite of what you want to happen ESPECIALLY if you're ahead. Soraka's strength comes from being able to deal ridiculously large amounts of damage to a ridiculously large area while healing herself/tanking, which needs to be abused. A soraka can push the entire other lane away from exp without ever drawing creep aggro. Coordinated with your AD carry, there should be no way to lose as Soraka unless you're going against a double stun comp. You win by denial, a concept that seems uncomfortable and foreign to a lot of players but is 100% necessary. By your standard, any person with a stun is a support, which I suppose is true, but your concept of what supports do is really serialized and standardized in a way I don't think is healthy for bot lane. Stalemates happen because you let them happen, not because they're forced to.

King Salomo

10-09-2012

I'd always pick Taric, Leona or Sona over Soraka if I knew my adc was a decent player. But the OP only applies to higher elo (at least 1400+). Soraka is actually one of the best solo queue supports in 1200-1400 elo. ADCs at that elo usually take lots of free harrass in lane and Soraka can let your carry come out ahead or at least keep him alive. Since many supports in lower elo don't effectively peel for their adc, Soraka's heal is worth a lot (and her silence is pretty strong if you time it right).
The only thing I really hate about Soraka is that she has no way of initiating teamfights...

krimsonKasper

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by And it was K View Post
Long cooldown

LONG COOLDOWN

LONG COOLDOWN

Really though, I thought everyone already knew Soraka and her lane partner are sitting ducks when her heal is on CD.

If you mean teamfights, I'd rather have slightly less armor from Taric along with his stun. And damage Aura. And Armor debuff. And I'd say, after Soraka, he's probably the least effective at protecting a carry in team fights.

This, Taric is a better tank, better healer, more dps, and prettier than Soraka.