@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeliriumTomorrow

10-08-2012

I agree with whoever said that this thread is getting derailed, but also I would really like to try and keep jabs like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteglint3 View Post
so.. knowing this, women are treated diffrently in the army, do you think what I said was sexist? (if you do that means you think progression is more imporant than soldiers lives).
out of the discussion.

Throwing stuff like that into your statement is childish and only promotes the same childish, "if you disagree with me it can only mean this and that makes you bad" kind of attitude.

This is something that I really believe we can have a discussion about, and that it can only lead to improvement in how we all interact with each other, in games and in life. But that can only happen if we stop trying to just one-up the other guy.

Edit for clarification: I am not saying anything about the importance of either progression or soldiers' lives. I am simply saying that in this context, this is an inappropriate and unnecessary comparison.

Shaella

10-08-2012

I'm just cutting the discussion off, its become to ugly from both sides

Whiteglint3

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliriumTomorrow View Post
I agree with whoever said that this thread is getting derailed, but also I would really like to try and keep jabs like this:

out of the discussion.

Throwing stuff like that into your statement is childish and only promotes the same childish, "if you disagree with me it can only mean this and that makes you bad" kind of attitude.

This is something that I really believe we can have a discussion about, and that it can only lead to improvement in how we all interact with each other, in games and in life. But that can only happen if we stop trying to just one-up the other guy.
it was a point to make, the poster said being treated diffrently is always sexism.

I posted a situation in which men and women are treated diffrently for fair reasons, so it stands to say the poster is simply wrong.

Society will aways treat men and women differently (we ARE diffrent, both physically and our mental makeup) nothing can change this other than nullifying the diffrences between us, which would mean we are all cyborgs in robot bodies at that point.

Shaella

10-08-2012

Quote:

out of the discussion.

Edit for clarification: I am not saying anything about the importance of either progression or soldiers' lives. I am simply saying that in this context, this is an inappropriate and unnecessary comparison.
Its also a logical fallacy

DeliriumTomorrow

10-08-2012

Quote:
it was a point to make, the poster said being treated diffrently is always sexism.

I posted a situation in which men and women are treated diffrently for fair reasons, so it stands to say the poster is simply wrong.

Society will aways treat men and women differently (we ARE diffrent, both physically and our mental makeup) nothing can change this other than nullifying the diffrences between us, which would mean we are all cyborgs in robot bodies at that point.
And I made no statement about your actual point, just the attitude with which you presented it. Apologies if there was confusion.

MathMage

10-08-2012

Christ, I leave the thread for an hour and the reactionaries turn it into a discussion of military effectiveness of coed units.

What the **** does that have to do with putting an extra few inches of cloth on Sona's outfit, wrapping Akali's top all the way around her body, letting Fiora take a serious fencing pose, giving MF's waist some room for internal organs, etc? Or, hell, what does it have to do with giving Ruthless Pantheon and Varus something to wear, giving Tryndamere muscle bulk that would still allow him to move, giving Kassadin muscles instead of endless rows of bumps, etc?

Equating "These skins were done poorly and could be significantly improved" with a radical feminist conspiracy out to advance the cause of women at the cost of soldiers' lives is the stupidest ****ing thing I have ever seen on these forums, and I have seen some real doozies.

We can treat both genders better in this game without decreeing that they have to be treated exactly the same. So why start that discussion, except to troll? Utterly pointless.

Whiteglint3

10-08-2012

Quote:
And I made no statement about your actual point, just the attitude with which you presented it. Apologies if there was confusion.
oh that was on purpose, because it brings into your mind a good (life saving) reason men and women are treated diffrently some times.

this would be a very basic debate tactic, take someones view, show them a logical situation in which their view would be horrible and ask them if they would still stay by that view.

Shaella

10-08-2012

Quote:
oh that was on purpose, because it brings into your mind a good (life saving) reason men and women are treated diffrently some times.

this would be a very basic debate tactic, take someones view, show them a logical situation in which their view would be horrible and ask them if they would still stay by that view.
thats called a logical fallacy

Whiteglint3

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Christ, I leave the thread for an hour and the reactionaries turn it into a discussion of military effectiveness of coed units.

What the **** does that have to do with putting an extra few inches of cloth on Sona's outfit, wrapping Akali's top all the way around her body, letting Fiora take a serious fencing pose, giving MF's waist some room for internal organs, etc? Or, hell, what does it have to do with giving Ruthless Pantheon and Varus something to wear, giving Tryndamere muscle bulk that would still allow him to move, giving Kassadin muscles instead of endless rows of bumps, etc?

Equating "These skins were done poorly and could be significantly improved" with a radical feminist conspiracy out to advance the cause of women at the cost of soldiers' lives is the stupidest ****ing thing I have ever seen on these forums, and I have seen some real doozies.

We can treat both genders better in this game without decreeing that they have to be treated exactly the same. So why start that discussion, except to troll? Utterly pointless.

making these changes would be just as sexist as making more retardedly over sexualized champions.

the only true option is to simply stop making the champions and leave the old ones the way they were, censoring the old champions IS sexist and sets a bad example.

AvisPraeda

10-08-2012

Not sure if want to support thread or not.