Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Support Chris

10-08-2012

Fantastic idea riot! Positivity is lacking in alot of people today and so reinforcing it like this in LoL is a great thing and I think we will see this come into other games in the future. I stopped playing LoL a little while ago but will start again as I'm looking forward to using the honor system and having some good games!

OzPin0y

10-08-2012

What's the limit? I must be giving so much of them since it came out because tonight. I could not provide one unless I play more games...

EMeta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

@ Lyte,
As I'm sure you know, Dominion games produce much less team chat than SR. Far less reports per game and whatnot, and probably less opportunity for your teammates to notice you standing out. As a result, a player who is nice and good and helpful on SR will tend to get more honor than he would if he plays mostly CS (since honor gain is normalized by games played).

So my question is, would you mind normalizing the normalization? If Dominion players get honor at 60% of the rate of SR players, and we assume they're no more or less honorable, then would you make Dominion games worth 3/5ths of an SR game?

(Because who doesn't love a 3/5ths compromise?)

PDiddy

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDiddy View Post
@Lyte- Is it wrong to trade honor?

EDIT: I think this is the question i REALLY want answered

Again, I agree with you on the intention of honor. But if "Bribing" helps get better team comps aka less trolling, why is that bad or toxic?

3rd time is a charm

Here the discussion that got closed with no real input other than, "This is not what riot intended."

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2629759

Which I agree with, however, I don't see any negative or toxic experiences coming from this.

If you have time skim through the thread pls, as I believe my point came across better after a few posts.
Pls lyte

Daen

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDiddy View Post
Pls lyte
Please stop posting this, you've been answered hundreds of times by the community. If you read all of Lyte's posts in this thread you'll even find him directly referring to your question.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-08-2012
76 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMeta View Post
@ Lyte,
As I'm sure you know, Dominion games produce much less team chat than SR. Far less reports per game and whatnot, and probably less opportunity for your teammates to notice you standing out. As a result, a player who is nice and good and helpful on SR will tend to get more honor than he would if he plays mostly CS (since honor gain is normalized by games played).

So my question is, would you mind normalizing the normalization? If Dominion players get honor at 60% of the rate of SR players, and we assume they're no more or less honorable, then would you make Dominion games worth 3/5ths of an SR game?

Dominion games are also shorter on average than Summoner's Rift games, so this actually balances it out.

Absolute 42

10-08-2012

A short question for Lyte:

Will be there ever be regional/global resets for honor points similar to seasonal ELO resets?

I understand that this would be far into the future, but it seems like a reasonable thing to happen eventually (I could think of really old honor gained as being somewhat stale, or just not relevant to how I act now).

Cyan Snake

10-08-2012

Hey Lyte,

Is this a bug? Or am I just a really honourable opponent?

Thanks,

Cyan Snake

Eiales

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Dominion games are also shorter on average than Summoner's Rift games, so this actually balances it out.
I though Honor was normalized to be essentially a per-game thing. If this is the case, the length of the game should be irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan Snake View Post
Hey Lyte,

Is this a bug? Or am I just a really honourable opponent?

Thanks,

Cyan Snake
Likely one or more players in the game before the one you just finished went afk in the lobby, came back and honored you after you had already gone into your next game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute 42 View Post
A short question for Lyte:

Will be there ever be regional/global resets for honor points similar to seasonal ELO resets?

I understand that this would be far into the future, but it seems like a reasonable thing to happen eventually (I could think of really old honor gained as being somewhat stale, or just not relevant to how I act now).
Lyte (I think) said that you need to consistently gain Honor if you want to keep your ribbons, so in a way the system is constantly resetting.

innervation

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMeta View Post
@ Lyte,

I just got done playing 5 dominion games, and I've found this isn't the case at all. Standout players are pretty easy to identify (games are a series of 2v2s, 3v3s, and 4v4s - plenty of time to see sick jukes, flashes, combos, plays, etc). Also I think the fact that all my games have gone right down the wire (seems to happen more in Dom), being the one person to say gg wp as opposed to raging makes you stand out as a sportsman.

Granted, very small sample, but I've been honored +1 or 2 in all 5 dominion games -_-

The less team chat part I would def agree with, but back when checking your dominion elo was a thing, I play(ed) at a pretty high elo, and its pretty easy to recognize good teamwork when you see it in terms of positioning in fights, engagement/disengagement choices, and post fight decision making and objective taking.