Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yitzlife

Junior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Hey guys,

After two days of smooth sailing during the World Playoffs, Day 3 was disappointing. We’ve spent today investigating and reviewing the problems, and I’d like to go through and address some of the community’s big concerns surrounding yesterday’s issues.

In hindsight, the potential visibility of minimap screens for players was a mistake. Despite on-site referees, close monitoring of player cams backstage, and stage design that ensured players would have to turn more than 90 degrees to be able to catch a glimpse of the minimaps, even the possibility of unfair play was simply unacceptable. We’re taking steps to ensure the minimap screens are not visible to players.

We are re-examining photos, videos and renders of the stage layout to definitively understand sight lines between the players on-stage and the minimaps overhead. We’re taking it a step further moving forward to completely ensure the screens aren’t visible to players.

Forward-facing camera angles can be misleading and we want to make sure everyone has the full picture before drawing any conclusions. This is something that we believe requires a comprehensive investigation but we absolutely understand why it’s cause for alarm.

In the meantime, here’s a quick overview of the two primary minimap incidents we’ve been reviewing:

TSM/Azubu game

  • Azubu Frost had a microphone issue that didn’t allow them to communicate during the opening of the game. As a result, the game was paused.
  • It was noticed that both teams had players that were shifting their bodies during the pause. Blanket warnings were issued to both Azubu Frost & TSM.
  • Referees decided to issue a restart, as a) Reginald & Chaox had concerns about screen looking and b) Azubu’s communications disadvantage could reasonably be interpreted as requiring a restart under tournament rules.
  • No further incidents of screen-looking were witnessed during this match.

Team WE/CLG.eu game

  • A player from Team WE was not facing forward for a moment during the 3rd and final restarted game before we wrapped for the night.
  • We’ve reviewed the existing footage and firsthand accounts from our referees, and we believe the player’s head turn may have been in response to a loud vuvuzela and crowd cheering. We haven’t found conclusive evidence either way and are continuing to investigate.

Those are the primary incidents that have been reported, but we are also investigating other alleged instances. More importantly, we are taking steps to completely ensure the screens are not visible to players at the conclusion of the Playoffs and Finals.

Hardware and connection issues are harder to prepare for. Video cards can explode. Network cables can short out. Headsets can die. While we can pause and restore games, if any of those things happen in the middle of a teamfight, it will impact the course of the game dramatically. Long-term, we know we need better solutions for this and it is a priority.

Regarding yesterday’s connection failures, we had a string of issues including a power failure, and two internet connectivity incidents we are continuing to investigate. It sucks that this happened, but we’re going to dive deep into the root cause to see if there are any other redundancies that could safeguard against this in the future.

We’re trying to deliver an extraordinary experience for viewers, and yesterday didn’t live up to our goals. We’re going to take everything we’ve learned from the Playoffs and strive to make the remainder of the Quarter- and Semifinals, as well as the Finals, as great as we can make them.

In the long run, looking to season 3 and beyond, we’re always learning and we’re reading all your feedback and taking it to heart. We believe the most important concern here is about fairness, and we’re going to do everything we can to preserve that moving forward.

League of Legends as an eSport is young, and we’re learning a lot with each event. This is the run-up to our Super Bowl, and we’ve really been pouring our blood, sweat and tears into it. We’re as disappointed as you are that yesterday had so many issues, but we’re committed to improving, so that’s what we’re going to try to do.

Right now we’re focused on setting up the conclusion of the Playoffs, and we’ll have more details on that shortly.

Thanks,

RedBeard


Dear RedBeard,

Thanks for responding to this event but please be a role model and don't be vague in your explanation and don't lie to us by twisting your words, and making RIOT look like an innocent victim.

WATCH THE CAMERAMAN CATCH AZUBU FROST LOOKING AT THE MINI MAP DURING THE GAME THAT WAS IN PROGRESS.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW7uNxqXfn8


Explain to me why is WOONG looking at the screen, he knows they are top lane and he is bot lane and cant be ganked, look at his posture he is clam and relaxed and glancing at the screen twice when the game is going ON, BEFORE THE PAUSE, explain this NOT AFTER THE PAUSE. ALSO EXPLAIN ABOUT THE BLIND PING ON THE LOCATION OF TSM, I mean if you know which way they are going certainly you know there path which means he knew they were in that area.

SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE, dont avoid the suitation just because you are wrong. People will respect Riot if they admit there mistakes and that Frost was cheating. WE are not stupid so dont treat us the players like that. We are not just people playing the game, we are the foundation of your community and League of legends, dont make it crumble. Keep esports growing and truthful.

HONOR AND RESPECT OVER MONEY AND LIES


THANKS


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dromar420

Senior Member

10-08-2012

I just dont understand how loud noises from the crowd can make you look up in the opposite direction (commenting on there posable reasoning for WE looking at the screen) and realy breaking a rule such as that should be grounds for dq not just oh sorry restart the game if you want to make something a sport you have to stick hard on rules.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sorry Not Shark

Member

10-08-2012

It's great to see that the pro teams are displaying such great sportsmanship and setting an example for the rest of the community... oh wait, they're not.

The LoL community is already ruined in many ways as it is, and I commend Riot for doing everything they have recently to try and improve it (Tribunal, Honour system, etc.). But when something like this happens, in my opinion anybody cheating should be immediately disqualified. Not only is it terrible sportsmanship, it's downright stupid; especially when you KNOW you are being recorded and broadcast live. It's not only wrong, it's downright idiocy and it's shameful to our community.

Here's to hoping that any cheating players are dealt with suitably.

TL;DR - DQ any cheaters, they are setting a terrible example for our community, representing us horribly, and don't deserve to even lay eyes on the prize money. Thanks for the update.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

swordcookie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Place those one-way tinted windows! Problem solved :P


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Fizz EU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I'd just like to know what you think of the mysterious ping made at 5:32:58?
http://i.imgur.com/hntqU.jpg


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cläptrap

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Pikmin View Post
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I'd just like to know what you think of the mysterious ping made at 5:32:58?
http://i.imgur.com/hntqU.jpg
this is really the only proof that is needed out of everything ive seen, hes facing his head upwards and pings a blind spot where TSM is just seconds later, Riot covers it up with a 24 hr ip boost. Yaaaa, im officially done with you Riot

The only way to earn credibility back is to at least release Azubu Frost's team chat that im sure you guys have recorded, because im sure if Woong saw where they were he told his team in their native language


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pro4never

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

While it obviously sucks how things went down in the event, I can honestly say that it was THE most engrossing sports event I've watched to date. Yes, there were poor decisions made and we can all groan about them and use hindsight (or even common logic one could argue) to say what should have been done differently but the fact remains that the event itself and the level of play demonstrated was simply phenomenal and a joy to watch.


I'm sure they will take what they have learned here and funnel it into the finals and season 3 and I'm so excited for that because I KNOW it can only really go up from here (if riot hopes to ever be viewed as a legitimate esport is has to).


Assuming Riot manages to get everything sorted out and tries to avoid mistakes like this down the line, I definitely see myself flying out for the finales (or at least some sort of tournament) next season. That's the level to which I enjoyed watching the playoffs this last week and the insane levels of fun described by people who were there.


Say what you want about their missteps, they kicked ass with the rest of the aspects of the event.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vrouge

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
While it obviously sucks how things went down in the event, I can honestly say that it was THE most engrossing sports event I've watched to date. Yes, there were poor decisions made and we can all groan about them and use hindsight (or even common logic one could argue) to say what should have been done differently but the fact remains that the event itself and the level of play demonstrated was simply phenomenal and a joy to watch.


I'm sure they will take what they have learned here and funnel it into the finals and season 3 and I'm so excited for that because I KNOW it can only really go up from here (if riot hopes to ever be viewed as a legitimate esport is has to).


Assuming Riot manages to get everything sorted out and tries to avoid mistakes like this down the line, I definitely see myself flying out for the finales (or at least some sort of tournament) next season. That's the level to which I enjoyed watching the playoffs this last week and the insane levels of fun described by people who were there.


Say what you want about their missteps, they kicked ass with the rest of the aspects of the event.
Yep. 6 to 7 after 59 minutes is such a joy to watch!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
I'm sure they will take what they have learned here and funnel it into the finals and season 3 and I'm so excited for that because I KNOW it can only really go up from here (if riot hopes to ever be viewed as a legitimate esport is has to).

While I don't doubt that you are correct in this regard, what is troubling is that, with $2 million on the line, nobody at Riot took a second to think, "Gee, this is a game where knowing the location of the enemy gives you a tremendous advantage. Maybe we shouldn't throw a huge map up behind the players with that EXACT information on it and not put in place any kind of barrier to prevent the teams from being able to see it."


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dromar420

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrouge View Post
Yep. 6 to 7 after 59 minutes is such a joy to watch!
As someone who aprechiates good play it is actualy and in response to the first guy i dont think anyone here is saying they played bad but the point is cheating was done and nothing done in return to it i know i personaly injoyed all of the m5 matches so far to a great extent but thats not the major outrage of the people.