How to jungle Mundo?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Looks like AS really is the solution then. I suppose that's where my next 4k IP will have to go =P

Thanks.

TeknoWizard

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
Looks like AS really is the solution then. I suppose that's where my next 4k IP will have to go =P

Thanks.
Awh, don't exaggerate. Its only 3.2K.

And AS reds will help on SO MANY junglers. Off the top of my head, Skarner, Hecarim, Udyr, and Warwick would benefit from them. And a whole bunch more. Really, they're in my opinion the third best runes to own for a jungler, right behind Armor Yellows, and Movespeed Quints.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

So basically my flat AD marks are utterly useless. Awesome. And it's 410*9, so almost 3700, which is closer to 4k then 3.2k =P

Warrrrax

10-09-2012

Your flat AD are perfectly good for almost all Top lane champs, as well as any ADCs you have. So they are hardly a waste.

Anyways, you are right that most of your damage comes from your burning agony, but a lot comes from autoattack too. You start with 60ish AD and .65 AS for 40 DPS, which is what agony gives you. Agony scales a lot faster than your autoattack of course.

Anyways, mundo has high base AD to start and progression. Attack Speed will give more of an advantage for 2 reasons:
First, its more efficient. 1.7AS per rune is about 43 gold worth, vs .95 AD worth about 37g.
Secondly, you get max DPS by balancing AD and AS and mundo has and gets more AD than AS.
Third (bonus!), faster smaller attacks works better with Agony than slower bigger attacks.

------------
Masteries. Lets look a bit harder at these. You were kind of vague. You should have:
9 offense, 21 defense. Try this before buying AS runes. Ensure you have...

+3 AD and improved ignite/whatever.
+6% Attack Speed tier 2.
10% armor penetration.

5 points in the increased health chain.
3 points in +6 armor
0 to 3 points in Magic Resist
0 to 3 points in HP5. (it sucks but every little bit helps)
2 points in -2 minion damage.
1 point in bladed armor
2 points in the -2 all damage taken.
0 to 3 points in the CDR.
3 points in the +3% movespeed
1 point in the capstone.

The main things here are extra health, armor, -4 minion damage taken, movespeed.
Try this FIRST, then you can compare to taking the 9 utility for the extended buff duration. But the first 8 points are kind of inefficient and wasteful.
-------------------

Start with: Cloth and 5 health pots, AND 3 movespeed quints. This is WAY more forgiving than the boots+3 approach. With boots, you MUST counterjungle and level 2 gank and be successful. Cloth+pots lets you do a lot more jungling if this isn't feasible.

If you go boots+3, take 3 HP5 or armor or other sustain Quints instead of MS. You will need it!

--------------
You can also pick up random tips like using the cleaver vs big minions only as an opener when they do the high percentage based damage. Dont use cleavers when they are almost dead as it costs lots of health for 75 damage.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Mynt

10-09-2012

Have you tried Vampic Scepter? If you get lifesteal, it's physically impossible to die in the jungle as Mundo, because the lower you get, the more you lifesteal. Rune for Attack Speed and you're golden.

Sereg Anfaug

10-09-2012

Mynt, I used vampiric sceptre as a jungle start before I discovered cloth armor + 5 pots. This was probably before level 30, and I don't recall it going very well. As far as lifestealing more, I assume you're referring to masochism, which is an active ability - I suppose it will help a bit, but I don't really expect it to be worth completely sacrificing potions, as well as delaying boots. I can see it as a viable alternative to cloth armor if the lifesteal does make up for the lack of potions because it's a faster start to Wriggle's - but then, does Mundo even build Wriggle's? I can't recall seeing it on any of the Mundo jungles I've seen in tournament play, but I might just be misremembering. I suppose I'll give the sceptre a try in a bot game and see if that helps - does that mean I should be taking Masochism first? Or do I still start Burning Agony?

Warrrrax, thanks for the detailed response - it clarifies why AS is useful, which I didn't quite understand before.

For your information, the Jungle masteries I use with Mundo are my tankiest set, which I use for initiators like Malphite and Alistar. It's 0/21/9, with death time reduction, recall, movespeed, and buff duration from green, and smite, armor, health regen, AoE reduction, movespeed, damage reduction, and camp clearing all maxed in blue, with the capstone ability and 1 point in health per level.

I also have a bruiser Jungle page available, which is 15/15/0, with Exhaust, AD, AS, ArPen, LS, and camp damage from red, and smite, armor, regen, move speed, and camp clearing from blue, with 2 points in health per level.

Alternatively I have an assassin Jungle page which is mostly red, which doesn't strike me as ideal for Mundo.

I've also heard about, and seen, people using ArPen marks on certain junglers, especially Nocturne who I'd otherwise be using AS marks for once I get them. Is there merit to this? If so, how do they stack up to AS? Is there a certain set of junglers that benefit more from one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just tried a sceptre/Masochism start - left me able to finish my first clear, but still doesn't build to anything I want, and it felt slower then usual. Might be viable, but I don't think it's the solution I'm looking for.

Buffmaster3000

10-09-2012

Mundo throw cleaver at tower.