@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fairness

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailsúpport View Post
Implying that any of the female champions is not self dependent. They're all self dependent with I ain't need no man mentality, tough, cold blooded murders. I thought the problem was the way the dressed or their similar body types.
You're completely right, it's just the way they dress has an impact in perception. Why would a cold blooded murderer need to dress so skimpily if they're so independent? It's just implying like something's going on behind the institute of war (omg conspiracy). But it's also really interesting how they're just doing that to survive or move up the ladder, but it gets kind of weird and repetitive when nearly all the female champions are doing that...

Shaella

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyryck View Post
Another posting amongst many in this thread that shows the poster's biases and not any actual fact. No, when a man is portrayed in a sexualized way it is not always viewed as 'homoerotic'. When men are perceived as being in a role that is not a traditional one associated with strength, manliness, confidence, etc, it tends to draw conversation about such things. But there have been many, MANY men portrayed in sexual fashion in the real world and not everybody runs around shrieking about them being gay. If they do, again, it suggests more about the critic than it does about the artwork involved (be it fictional or not).
no one could resist his smoldering gaze

Shingro

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
We are well aware of our record. We have content that has yet to come out which might still be more conservative, but we also have content that will push boundaries. Because of the production cycle, timing, cadence, etc, it may take time for that content to come to light. It will, though.

I'm learning things daily by the research that I'm doing into our past, present and yet-to-be-released champions. I am highly aware of the issue and I'm disseminating that information to the appropriate people.

I do very much appreciate all your points and discussions however.
I like variety, but to be honest I'm having a lot of trouble saying "yaaaaaay, conservatism..." Especially when it comes to covering and being ashamed of skin showing. Ever has the best art been celebrations of the human form... but I already gotten a smattering of monstergirls, (adorable, and striking <3) so I guess I can stand a few years of skin paranoia on a single game I play.

The wheels are already turning, so we'll see if Riot are the first people ever to manage to pull off the "rainbow coalition" art design theory successfully without it impacting creative vision and making it feel forced. For your next male champion might a suggest a spindly 6' 110 lb mage of some sort? Raistlin from Dragonlance comes to mind.

Actually, that's probably my main question, how do you intend to redress numbers to a mathematical average without putting certain aspects of artistic scope off limits either overtly or by more subtle 'changes in direction?' (though with a company wide email already having gone out, I guess the 'overt pressure' part is already out of the bottle =P) Whose averages matter? gender? build? ethnicity? culture? what's our ratio of beefy men to spindly men? how many asians are there vs how many blacks? do we have a latino champion? This math averages bottle is super super deep, and super super dangerous. Just tread carefully, I can't think of anyone whose ever done it right. =P

Might I suggest a sideways shift towards more adorable/cute? LoL is 80% Grimdark already... It'd be hard to see it get even worse. Besides, it seems and Lulu/Teemo/Fizz have been pretty well received by all sides particularly for design and they're not even on the sexiness chart. Heck, people still pick Lulu in tournies even if every team who picks her loses that game >_>

TLR: This is very hard to do, and can snowball very easily so please be careful.

Maybe make some adorable champions? I enjoy those.

chumbler

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varindran View Post
hey iron have you seen this video i think you may like it and it does relate to this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ZVZRsy8N8&feature=relmfu
This is a fantastic summary and well worth quoting so that more people see it.

masteRbuddY

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Logged in for the first time in months to upvote/comment. Hopefully you accept my invite so we can discuss why the conventional view, of women, is still marginalized in the video game culture.
I havent met few people who understand that there is psychology behind everything humans do including our fantasy world. People spend countless hours on this games and still treat with it like its nothing. I dont spend an hour doing anything and pretend like it doesnt affect my life in some way.

Pepperkat

10-07-2012

I'd kill for an Ahri skin that grew up from young to middle age, progressively getting more tails as she leveled up / grew older. And if there was fan-service... I would be fifty times more likely to buy it. And seeing how Ahri is my favorite champion and she does not yet have a fan-service skin yet, It would be a sure thing.

So fifty times a sure thing for a fan-service Ahri skin. Pool Party Ziggs doesn't count.

ThatNinjaGuy

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I agree. More diversity needed. Workin' on it. Srsly.
Morgan Freeman champion needed.

Voidian

10-07-2012

Syndra is the only female that doesn't look like a kid, and she's not too old either.

Shaella

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidian View Post
Syndra is the only female that doesn't look like a kid, and she's not too old either.
Syndra is a total skank-bucket

L2 Sentinel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperkat View Post
Lulu is centuries old and is a sorceress and a support. :3
But she doesn't look it. LeBlanc is also really old.