@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cytox

10-07-2012

omg close this thread already

Tenmar

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
This just in:

My art director just sent an email to the entire art team about female diversity because he's watching this thread, and told me so on twitter.. which amuses me greatly..

Am I doing ok here?
No you are actually doing terrible cause all you have done is submit and never actually grow a pair and actually stand by you or your team's work. Nor do you actually demonstrate that all the people criticizing you why they are incorrect utilizing actual artistic styles and examples as to why your art it not sexist or degrading.

For example you could easily utilize that your recent trend of superhero style for splash art as it demonstrates a larger than life scenario where you are meant to idolize said champions much like in our history with gods such as the greeks and egyptians.

Honestly you need to dissent using your actual education demonstrating that the artistic styles have actual roots and demonstrate that your critics are only demonstrating their ineptitude for not understanding art.

You are also not actually making a clear point that as a video game not everything is meant to be realistic and it is the fantasy that actually makes these games unique and desirable as it is a form of escapism. Making everything based on realism from the human form to clothing choice only creates stagnation of imagination as you are binding yourself to the mundane. Movies don't do actual gun physics properly, so why should you be held to an non-realistic standard?

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Iron Stylus can I just say : Thank you.

I honestly can't tell you how annoyed I have become with Riot's release of female champions (btw, I LOVE MF's personality and style, just hearing her laugh when she uses her ult makes me feel what the character is and I just think she is so freakin' awesome!) and how things have been handled so far.

And then you come along. Just... Wow... Thanks! I honestly can say that I now have faith that things won't be so bad anymore. Thank you for all the work you are putting into this. I know I'll have to wait, but now I am ready to wait.

Side note : Sexy male plz? Varus isn't sexy, he's an emo adult covered in goo :/
Think Beach Ezreal

Dark Jurai

10-07-2012

Has anyone mentioned Samus Aran? Cuz, well, Samus. And that was like, 20 years ago...

Fairness

10-07-2012

I am totally fine with over-sexualised champions, I actually find them to be really interesting most of the time. What I'm not fine with, is how nearly EVERY female champion is like that, with the exception of a few of course.
When I first heard there was going to be a plant champion, I imagined a beautiful, elegant floral princess (even wearing those cool flower-chain headbands) sitting on a beautiful meadow with flowers all around her, staring out at her beautiful land that she's determined to protect. I know you guys went in a completely different direction to that which is fine but then we had Syndra which is like... exactly the same.

But who would want to play like a floral princess or something, right? Well that's only because they've been accustomed to heaps of ****ty champions, I actually think one of the reason so many men on the internet are so sexist is because they're used to thinking that they're better than girls and that girls are only good for that one thing which is completely untrue.

I don't know, I could go on forever, this topic is so broad.

Omegafilter

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You did do a lot, though I want to make sure we recognize how much this topic has been brought up over the years and how much spirited discussion has revolved around it. We will still be working on it for a while, we are iterative and we evolve. I'm just glad, as you've said, that we don't annihilate this topic into a smoking pile of downvotes anymore.

I want people to be comfortable talking about it, I want people to feel welcome in this game, and i want people who dismiss the issue to know that it is actually an observable pattern for better or worse and that it deserves a serious look and action by us.
Tldr: open forum for the subject and bagles for all?? god bless solari? vote ironstylus 2012?

Dark Jurai

10-07-2012

Actually, I guess Kayle falls into the Samus category. But more champions like that would be cool.

MTaur

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmar View Post
Strippers or GTFO. Nothing else can possibly count as art.
FTFY. What you had written was awfully wordy.

lemonchief

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmar View Post
No you are actually doing terrible cause all you have done is submit and never actually grow a pair and actually stand by you or your team's work. Nor do you actually demonstrate that all the people criticizing you why they are incorrect utilizing actual artistic styles and examples as to why your art it not sexist or degrading.

For example you could easily utilize that your recent trend of superhero style for splash art as it demonstrates a larger than life scenario where you are meant to idolize said champions much like in our history with gods such as the greeks and egyptians.

Honestly you need to dissent using your actual education demonstrating that the artistic styles have actual roots and demonstrate that your critics are only demonstrating their ineptitude for not understanding art.

You are also not actually making a clear point that as a video game not everything is meant to be realistic and it is the fantasy that actually makes these games unique and desirable as it is a form of escapism. Making everything based on realism from the human form to clothing choice only creates stagnation of imagination as you are binding yourself to the mundane. Movies don't do actual gun physics properly, so why should you be held to an non-realistic standard?
Watch out, we're dealing with a bad-ass here.

1) Literally, about two pages ago he defended Lux's new art

2) Every female in LoL would be worshiped as a fertility goddess.

3) Concision is a good thing, especially when you aren't saying anything

4) Games are not realistic, and no one claimed that LoL was. You would need to be challenged to make that argument. There is nothing mundane about making a variety of females and then matching their look to their personality and backstories.

Pocket Tibbers

10-07-2012

I don't think female players actually care if a certain champ has big breasts or not. I mean look at the media. On tv, most actresses have big breasts or at least try to convey that they do. Do women still watch TV? YES. Look at movies. same here. Do women watch movies? YES Same with magazines, ect,ect. So the problem here is not how women are portrayed in the game i personally enjoy champion art that makes women look like well, women. There are many factors in why females don't play LoL or other games in general. First of all, LoL is a competitive game and lets face it the community is very competitive. Trying not to be sexist here, but males are just more prone to competition because of our elevated testosterone levels. That is not to say that all women shy away from competition. Secondly, the competitive atmosphere creates a sort of hostility towards new players and with more and more smurfs, there are definitely challenges with entering into the game. Riot is not at fault what so ever if the females aren't attracted to this game. It simply is the nature of the game. Look at world of warcraft, maplestory, and even sims for example. Those games have a solid female player base because the nature of the games are mostly cooperative and non competition oriented. Last but not least, why are you looking for more females to play? What difference does it make when your teammates or enemies are female? Unless you want to find your soul mate in the game or something, gender doesnt really matter. If females dont want to play this game, its up to them. Dont bash on the riot developement team because making women actually look like women is not wrong at all. The people who complain about " OMG BOOBS" just want to show that they "respect" women on the forums. I also respect women, but at the same time i wont deny that i like curves. If every female champion was flat chested, now THAT would be wrong because thats not a true depiction of women in real life. Women have breasts get used to it. And if a champion has breasts, then its a female. All in all, petitioning to riot to attract more women into the game is in itself sexist.