Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

coffeeINJECTION

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Think I mentioned this earlier, but we will be putting up overhangs so the possibility of peaking is removed.
Closing the barn door after the horses have all escaped. Maybe we give eSports 100 years to develop and it then people can take it seriously?

Dorgrim

10-07-2012

Apparently cheating only matters if you catch them while their doing it. Oh wait they did. Regi and Chaox were complaining about it. Its a good thing they turned the minimaps off at that point so it wasn't an issue anymore...... =/

How the hell this didn't happen I will never know.

Putzfrau

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeINJECTION View Post
Closing the barn door after the horses have all escaped. Maybe we give eSports 100 years to develop and it then people can take it seriously?

What exactly do you want from them? Dq all teams but m5 and clg eu? restart the tournament?

People begged for a response while viciously commenting on the fact that it will never come. It came and still you have things to cry about?

When will you be satisfied? You do know we can't go back in time to rectify the problems before they happen. At this point what else can you do but say "wow we are so sorry well do our best in the future"

Kanyin

Recruiter

10-07-2012

Every one of your event crew should be fired. Absolutely pathetic event. "HEY GUYS LETS PUT A GIANT SCREEN BEHIND THE PLAYERS BUT STILL CLEARLY IN THEIR VIEW AND GO ON THE HONOR SYSTEM THAT THEY WON'T CHEAT WITH A MILLION DOLLARS ON THE LINE." If that's your logic in the company I look forward to the bumbling mistake that makes you go bankrupt.

Markanaya

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackSmurf View Post
I doubt that they were completely noise canceling, there is also the potential for noise to sneak into their microphone depending on the type of microphone that is used on those headsets.
That's my point. Either they weren't noise cancelling enough, and they could hear the shoutcasters saying what is happening, or they were, and the vuvuzelas and the crowd were irrelevant and they looked up at the screen.

Iggy Koopa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

If only there were some sort of booth that was sound proof and prevented players from looking up at the screen to cheat....

Gosh I hope eSports can come up with a solution like that. Excuse me while I watch a SC2 tournament where they've ALREADY FOUND A SOLUTION. Blankets or screens are just shoddy solutions. Maybe take a hint from a game that's been doing this for a decade or so?

LadyAzalea

10-07-2012

Thank you for the professional reply, Riot.

Yes, the difficulties were disappointing, but in no way does that mean the rest of the competition still wasn't fun to watch and what not. I plan on continuing watching the rest of the tournament whenever the announcement is finally made. It's good to see you are dedicated to learning from your mistakes and improving future events.

I do agree that soundproof boxes could be beneficial to the event and the minimaps need to be unviewable by either team. Maybe putting them above the heads of the players and up a little bit so that even if they turn around entirely, they can't see the screens. Otherwise just put some block/screen up between them, as others have suggested.

Leigh Smith (Deman) addressed his comments on Twitter/Reddit. I'm a homeviewer and what he said didn't really bother me. We all say stupid things in the heat of the moment, especially in such a stressful and exhausting situation. He's still one of my favorite commentators.

In terms of cheating, yes, I feel like everything needs to be reviewed. All photographs, audio, video, game streams, etc, should be compared and reviewed to address any and all further claims.

I do feel like there should be more solid rules for future events (including for cheating/peeking, remakes/restarts/continuations, game crashes, etc). I'd also love to see check point saves so that nearly finished games (CLGEU versus WE) don't go to waste. Although it may somewhat alter a game to have to redo say, a teamfight or so, I feel it'd be much better off than having to restart an entire 60 minute game from scratch.

Although I've had issues with Riot in the past, I still stand by them in all they do and respect them for their hardwork during this tournament. I also have immense respect for the players for their endurance and patience through the difficulties. I witnessed so much sheer dedication during this tournament which is just incredible. I have no doubt that in the future a lot of the problems experienced here will be resolved.

Hats off to you, Riot.

Fishous

10-07-2012

I thought I saw them using encloses spaces for other events. Surrounded by glass and everything. Or they could have simply turned both teams' set-ups so that they face further opposite of each other. Of course, I understand they need space to set up the next-playing team's slogan and equipment on the opposite side of the platforms.

But yeah, Riot definitely needs to work on a LAN client that they'd still be able to broadcast online.

Also, Comcast > Time Warner.

PhotonScatter

10-07-2012

Honestly, in competition, if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Add to that a monetary incentive, and I dare ask anyone in this thread to not look. If you don't, you're just dumb. And yes, I'm fully aware of morals/ethics etc. If by simply turning my head, I can improve my chances of earning an extra few thousand dollars, by all means, I'm going to do it.

Yes in hindsight, stage design was lacking. All you can do is "pause" like they are doing now, and figure stuff out and finish this. Remember they could have just played out the whole tourney with the internet and stage like it was, but they didn't. This is the best you're going to get, and it really isn't bad at all.

Putzfrau

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonScatter View Post
Honestly, in competition, if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Add to that a monetary incentive, and I dare ask anyone in this thread to not look. If you don't, you're just dumb. And yes, I'm fully aware of morals/ethics etc. If by simply turning my head, I can improve my chances of earning an extra few thousand dollars, by all means, I'm going to do it.

Yes in hindsight, stage design was lacking. All you can do is "pause" like they are doing now, and figure stuff out and finish this. Remember they could have just played out the whole tourney with the internet and stage like it was, but they didn't. This is the best you're going to get, and it really isn't bad at all.

Of course everyone will do it, but no one will admit it. Everyone is a hero in their mind but merely average in reality.

There's a lot of studies that show cheating is pretty common especially if the risk is low and the reward is high