Riot's approach to Canon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leotamer

10-05-2012

We waited all this time... For comics. Ok, if it was a radical new thing I could expect it took this long. But you needed to close down shop on JoJ and Judgements way before this, changed some lores in ways fans hated, and the big news is comics. I realise that this is a hyper-critical and cynical view on this, but really? I realize that that is going to be down vote to invisible in matter of seconds, but really, where is the play off? And how can we trust this comics will be better then some of the lore reworks?

Pldl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

More Lore.

Swanhaven

10-06-2012

This seems really lazy. Lay out a storyline and a set of facts and stick with it, don't just handwave it and go 'Well, YOU guys decide!"

Also 'Soon' (tm) isn't a very satisfying answer when you shut down the JoJ a year ago and haven't filled the void it left with anything of merit.

Furthermore, Kat's old horrid bio rework is still active in the client instead of the good rewrite version.

I don't exactly pay your bills so I can't tell you to get your act together, but seriously. Less talk, more action.

Dirge Farum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

As I joined League because my friends played AND it had actually reasons to like the characters besides movesets, I was sad when the JoJ and such were set aside for whatever reason. A new way to deliver lore has been in the works, but without knowing how exactly all I can do is make suggestions.

We need more mediums for Lore.
-Novels (as you've mentioned, need to find the write author. The author can make or break the success of a novel).

-A Webcomic. This would allow people to read a story that updates at least once a week (which shouldn't be too hard, I read plenty of webcomics that update anywhere between once and five times a week, and that is usually an incredibly small group of people). Release tons of webcomic pages, then when you get a sizeable volume, start printing a physical version.

-Short Animations. Little insights into the day to day life in Valoren would be a grand little thing. One short five-minute episode about Garen's usually day at work or one of Veigar's plots to become the greatest little evil master ever would be great ways to breath life into the wonderful world the League exists in.

-Lore Matches. Again, you mentioned them, and they have great impact on the lore and also give a great show for people to watch. Ionia vs Noxus, knowing it would decide the lore AND add a new item AND give discounts to the winning side made it a great event, and I know I've gone back to rewatch it on Youtube once in a while.

-Browser Games. This is an easier suggestion then "Make a game" because it can be on a smaller scope and can be hosted in the site (heck, if you integrate it into the Client, that gives me things to do while waiting for a friend to finish a match.) Simple yet fun games that give bits of lore while focusing on different things. I'd love to play as Leona fighting Heretics or fight waves of enemies by selecting from a cast of characters with different stats and power-ups.

Basically, I wanna consume lore at any point, especially when I'm not able to play LoL but want my LoL fix. If I could pull out my novel that recounts the Ionia vs Noxus conflict or go online on my laptop to read some LoL webcomics, heck, even boot up some kind of "Catapult-style game" where you play as Ashe shooting down Sejuani's forces on a smart phone, that would be a huge plus.

Besides, these kind of ambitions seem right up Riot's alley when it comes to being a great game company. You already have my dropping cash on cosmetic items in a free-2-play game, I think you could rob my wallet for a couple novels, a handful of games and maybe some plushies ;D

(Seriously, how is there not Teemo plushies yet. Even Minecraft has a Creeper plush. Maybe look into some Megablok figurines. They did a great jobe with the Halo sets and if I could grab my little Shyvana and Jax figurines and make them fight or pose in cool fashions while I wait for the game queue, I'd be completely broke... thank goodness this is a free game though ;D)

AbramsAbrams

10-07-2012

no no no no NO NO NO NO ****ING HELL NO! NO KITAE! THIS IS BULL****!

"Is your name Zilean because you are SPEEDING UP TIME! My first word on this topic was July 31st 2012. So start your clocks from then. Not saying that nothing was happening before that, but if you want to talk in terms of what I've been telling the community that's the official date. I'll see you July 31st 2013 and hey by all means, feel free to ask me for a one year update on that date."

DON'T BE A ****ING SMARTASS! RIOT RAVEN AND RIOT RUNAAN POSTED A THREAD A LONG ASS TIME AGO SAYING WHAT THIS GUY IS ABOUT AND YOU KNOW IT! DON'T ****ING TREAT HIM LIKE A *****. HE IS A FAN AND SHOULD BE TREATED BETTER.

Tell us why. TELL US WHY WE WEN'T FROM JOJ, JUDGEMENTS, SEASON ONE CINAMATIC MOVIE, to unecessary revisionist bio reworks. TELL US WHY YOU STOPPED PRODUCING HIGH LEVELS OF LORE WITH NO BACKUP PLAN TO SWITCH TO! YOU DID NOT HAVE ALTERNATIVE PREPARATIONS FOR LORE WHEN YOU STOPPED THE OLD PLAN. WHY?!?!? WE WANT THE TRUTH DAMMIT.
I'm ****ing tired of this. This is bull****.

Ask the Herald

10-08-2012

The Lore Team might as well be dead at his point, because they honestly don't care and they're getting paid for doing nothing.

It's a horrible world we live in. This is bull****.

Dorryza

10-08-2012

@Abrams: first of all, lay off the caps. Second of all, Kitae only got involved in July 31, not before. Don't bash on Kitae for something that Raven and Runaan posted.

Although, I agree with your general point, this isn't the right place, nor the right way to post it.

But, restarting judgements would be nice... Riot plz?

sleepyj101

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbramsAbrams View Post
no no no no NO NO NO NO ****ING HELL NO! NO KITAE! THIS IS BULL****!

"Is your name Zilean because you are SPEEDING UP TIME! My first word on this topic was July 31st 2012. So start your clocks from then. Not saying that nothing was happening before that, but if you want to talk in terms of what I've been telling the community that's the official date. I'll see you July 31st 2013 and hey by all means, feel free to ask me for a one year update on that date."

DON'T BE A ****ING SMARTASS! RIOT RAVEN AND RIOT RUNAAN POSTED A THREAD A LONG ASS TIME AGO SAYING WHAT THIS GUY IS ABOUT AND YOU KNOW IT! DON'T ****ING TREAT HIM LIKE A *****. HE IS A FAN AND SHOULD BE TREATED BETTER.

Tell us why. TELL US WHY WE WEN'T FROM JOJ, JUDGEMENTS, SEASON ONE CINAMATIC MOVIE, to unecessary revisionist bio reworks. TELL US WHY YOU STOPPED PRODUCING HIGH LEVELS OF LORE WITH NO BACKUP PLAN TO SWITCH TO! YOU DID NOT HAVE ALTERNATIVE PREPARATIONS FOR LORE WHEN YOU STOPPED THE OLD PLAN. WHY?!?!? WE WANT THE TRUTH DAMMIT.
I'm ****ing tired of this. This is bull****.
Over the top dude. Way over.

AbramsAbrams

10-08-2012

Sorry guys. I was really childish in my rant earlier. sorry reds, went off the handle. sorry about that. I just really miss lore.

I'm gonna try and be a positive constructive member of the lore community.
Here is my 2 cents.
I would like to see riot lore take the position of an author. An author who has a story to tell, while at the same time listening to the lore fans on what they want and incorporating that into the new story. Pushing lore forward instead of going back and changing old things.

Thank you for your time lore reds. I hope you have a good day.

DHNinja

10-09-2012

No idea if this will get a response or read at all. I've been into League Lore to the point where I was willing to run a LOL based D&D Campaign that was stared back in January of this year. The only time when it couldn't be run is when every one goes away to college for the semester. Less about playing champions and more about playing their own characters in a world. The point with this is there's a story to be told in the world.

I want to see stories, more writing and more things that are going to be published to flesh out the world. I'd like to know more about the city state of Zaun or Noxus. More about the Rune Wars and the Noxian and Ionian war. Champions aren't the only things that need to be fleshed out. Hell, two birds with one stone could be killed if it gets done right.

I want to see more ways for players to impact the lore. Noxus vs Ionia was by far the best I think. An item was created out of it on top of how the match actually impacted the world. There was build up to this too through the J.O.J. But unfortunently the J.O.J was canceled. I know why and though most don't understand why I can say I get it.

Also try to avoid rewrites. It's good to fine tune things. If the game didn't constantly change we'd still be stuck with the original splash arts and original character models. Even old lore needs to be fine tuned a little bit. But don't take what's good and change it too much.

TLDR: More Stories, More Events, Don't Restructure Too Much.