@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

orc72

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
If Blitzcrank is gender neutral, then so is Orianna.
Correct, and Oriana looks like a female ballet dancer because in the lore she was modeled off of the creators daughter, who died training to be a champion in the league of legends. Devastated, the father created a robot to live on in his daughters image to compete in the league like his daughter died training to do.

GaafGrohiik

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by orc72 View Post
Correct, and Oriana looks like a female ballet dancer because in the lore she was modeled off of the creators daughter, who died training to be a champion in the league of legends. Devastated, the father created a robot to live on in his daughters image to compete in the league like his daughter died training to do.
This.

You think crazy robo-tech dad made a robo-gina?

Gunxlinger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
"I have no idea what fencing looks like, so because I think Fiora looks like she's fencing, therefore she is!"

What the **** is this line of reasoning.
What im trying to say is that the few keys to identifying a fencer are present in the splash. The first things you observe are those which strike you as different. And those things are what are included in the splash.
In fact can you explain how it is sexualized? You cant see any cleavage. You cant see her behind and most of her chest is hidden. She is clothed up to her neck. And her pose resembles 90% of the google search images for fencing.
The only point i see is 'She is looking at the side' :/

Karolina

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by orc72 View Post
Reminds me of Edward Scissorhands for some reason...

MathMage

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunxlinger View Post
O really. Then why do I get the same pose over and over again when I google image search fencing?
You think you're getting the same pose because you're so ignorant of fencing that you can't even tell the difference between a side stance and a pinup pose.

I actually went back and looked at the image again, and it's even worse than I thought last time. Fiora actually has the wrong foot forward, and is twisting her body in an ungodly fashion to lead with her right shoulder, just so she can put her sword arm in the weakest position possible. Seeing that made me cringe in sympathetic pain. There is literally no reason to be in that position other than to show off her 'assets'.

Am I being clear here? Am I getting through to you? Have I made it obvious enough that Fiora's pose is nothing like a fencer's?

Here, try it for yourself. Stand in standard left-handed fencing posture, left foot forward, left hand forward. Now twist your body so your right shoulder is leading your left, transfer your imaginary sword to your right hand, twine your left hand behind your back, and swing your right arm way the **** out to the side until you can't move it any further. That's how Fiora is posing. Feel how uncomfortable that is? How impossible it is to move with power in any direction? How your chest and ass are sticking out? Yeah.

GaafGrohiik

10-07-2012

Quote:
You actually have no idea what my argument actually is since you clearly haven't been following the conversation.
Oh no - I get it. You think all the females in the game all look the same - attractive (because some people find DRAWINGS attractive, apparently) and overly-seductive, with armor that doesn't make sense for combat.

First of all - the only ones I'd agree on are Akali (the sideboob is pretty vicious- and a ninja should be armored) and Zyra (she's a plant, but a really ****ty plant).

All of the other ones are casters/assassins/support characters that do not need armor, and whatever they wear makes sense for their roles.

It was the artists' choices to have cleavage, curvy figures or "come **** me" eyes. I think you have zero grounds whatsoever to attack the artists' creative license.

Someshta

10-07-2012

Quote:
“More girls should play League of Legends.”...the LoL community isn’t always the most welcoming...girls that choose not to play LoL at all because they don’t feel welcome.
I completely agree with your analysis of skins and splash art, I just don't understand how the graphic design of champions connects to girls feeling unwelcome. Do you think splash art which objectifies female champions creates an atmosphere which promotes objectification of the actual female summoners? Would that objectification also somehow lead to the marginalization of female summoners you mentioned?

Is any male summoner able to see the appearance of any female summoner? Any objectification or marginalization that happens on the summoner level would happen regardless of graphic design. It would happen simply because there are men who objectify and marginalize women.

So you are actually arguing two separate points, each with their own cause and solution, and you need to make a choice. You could argue that the graphic design of champions objectifies women and is offensive to female summoners and address this argument to the art department, or you could argue that female summoners feel unwelcome in the community because of abusive actions from male summoners and address that to the HR department.

I believe the two are arguments mutually exclusive, I believe there is evidence to support both arguments, and from my perspective (male summoner) I believe only the abusive nature of male summoners should be addressed. I love girls, and girls should be able to love LoL...and then they should love me ;-)

MTaur

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by third3gree View Post
What, like everyone else does?
No. Not everyone uses gender-neutral names. "Bobtastic" would be a safe summoner name, but "Jenniferific" would be potentially grief-inviting, because some people are *******s. Not always, but some guy named Bob wouldn't have to stop and think about possibly keeping "Bob" out of his summoner name, even if he didn't think of it as "shoving his gender in people's faces." But "Jenniferific" is obviously attention whoring, depending on who you talk to.

Ephezekiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Boys like boobies.

Gunxlinger

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
You think you're getting the same pose because you're so ignorant of fencing that you can't even tell the difference between a side stance and a pinup pose.

I actually went back and looked at the image again, and it's even worse than I thought last time. Fiora actually has the wrong foot forward, and is twisting her body in an ungodly fashion to lead with her right shoulder, just so she can put her sword arm in the weakest position possible. Seeing that made me cringe in sympathetic pain. There is literally no reason to be in that position other than to show off her 'assets'.
I dont see her 'assets' anywhere. Just an armoured portion of her breasts which is impossible to hide unless you want ALL female champions in burqa...
http://ejbron.files.wordpress.com/20...urqa-women.jpg