Towers > dragon.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bongofrog

10-06-2012

I've seen this many many times now in the championship games, one team goes for dragon, the other takes a turret or two.

Just saw it in CLGeu V WE.

CLG went for the Dragon and got it. yay 150 all around. HOWEVER they lost two turret and an inhib because of it.

I would be willing to bet that they just sacrificed the game for a dragon.

bongofrog

10-06-2012

CLG is making some seriously bad choices. malph ults, and they focus the tank.... Graves got away scott free. They are making 1k elo mistakes.

TeknoWizard

10-06-2012

CLGeu and World Elite are hardly a fair basis of comparison for solo queue teams. In many instances, its better to take the dragon, and let every snowball off of that than take a outer tower at that moment.

My values in game go like this:
Nexus > Baron > My carry's life > Inhibitor > Inhibitor tower > Dragon > Inner turret >My life, unless I'm a tank, or zombie Karthus > Outer turret > Kills > Buffs > 10+ Farm > Small jungle camps > 5 or less farm

I play by that standard. I mean, sure. There are times when a tower would be more important, but for the most part, I value the ones above it more.

bongofrog

10-06-2012

Question: Why the hell would you ever consider a tower to be of less value than dragon?

Dragons come back, towers dont
Towers protect the nexus, Dragons sit in the jungle
Tower kill creeps that you can't. Dragons troll the jungle not helping anyone.

TeknoWizard

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofrog View Post
Question: Why the hell would you ever consider a tower to be of less value than dragon?

Dragons come back, towers dont.
You get 190 global gold for killing drag, yeah. But the more important part is that the other team DOESN'T get that gold. Towers don't come back. However, the other team can't kill their own tower to prevent you from getting that gold. They CAN deny you that gold from dragon if you leave it there, and start coming back off of it.

Dragon is a great way to comeback in a game. You can always come back and take a tower. It will always be there. You can't just come back and take dragon, because its open to everyone.

I dunno if I explained that well... If someone feels like rewording that into English, I'd be eternally grateful.

bongofrog

10-06-2012

after seeing the picks CLG just lost the game before it started. Giving up Blitz, and olaf again. Its over.

bongofrog

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknoWizard View Post
You get 190 global gold for killing drag, yeah. But the more important part is that the other team DOESN'T get that gold. Towers don't come back. However, the other team can't kill their own tower to prevent you from getting that gold. They CAN deny you that gold from dragon if you leave it there, and start coming back off of it.

Dragon is a great way to comeback in a game. You can always come back and take a tower. It will always be there. You can't just come back and take dragon, because its open to everyone.

I dunno if I explained that well... If someone feels like rewording that into English, I'd be eternally grateful.

I understand all that part, just thinking of it from a different angle. 150g isn't going to do **** for you. However 1 tower is going to make or break a game.

Its not about the gold to me. Its about the towers. You need to kill 5 towers to win the game.
outter, inner, inhib, and two nexus.

You may have just won enough gold to buy 2 wards, (my cup runneth over...) but now you have to kill 5 towers, and the other team only has to kill 4.

lastchancexi

10-06-2012

Inhib tower > inhib > Baron > Tower = Winning teamfight > Dragon.

Togekiss24

10-06-2012

This kind of comes down to the overall point of the game. League of Legends isn't about getting the highest kills, or the highest gold/CS for that matter, it's about getting towards that Nexus. The kills and cs in that regard are only modifiers designed to help you get to that goal easier, since the more fed you are compared to the other team, the less potent the defense is towards the enemy nexus. That's kind of the main difference I saw with the Asian teams and anyone else in the tourney stream. They go for dragon, so what? Take a tower and increase the pressure.

TeknoWizard

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofrog View Post
I understand all that part, just thinking of it from a different angle. 150g isn't going to do **** for you. However 1 tower is going to make or break a game.

Its not about the gold to me. Its about the towers. You need to kill 5 towers to win the game.
outter, inner, inhib, and two nexus.

You may have just won enough gold to buy 2 wards, (my cup runneth over...) but now you have to kill 5 towers, and the other team only has to kill 4.
Yeah, I get your point. And I agree in most regards. If we're taking a tower, I always finish it, then go and secure dragon for my team. However, if the tower is full, and we can't drop it before they get there, I'll just back off and secure dragon.

Oh, and I just remembered. The shape of the map. ><

Towers are way closer to the bases than dragon. If they chose to initiate because you're over extended at their tower, then you could all die. That is another way that dragon would come before a tower.