Thank You CLG, Dignitas, and TSM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1371d96745694779c6cca

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirplayalot11 View Post
I can only assume you are living on your own and know about bills, this includes:
Rent
Utilities(Water, sewage, trash, etc)
Electricity
Food
Hygienic Products
Utensils
Internet
Phone Bill
Transportation

Even if rent was cheap, things like food and electricity will definitely not be cheap, especially for a professional gamer.
And I really doubt foreign country players live off Ramen Noodles and other foods like that if they can afford computers, internet, and so forth. Plus you can't even focus and play at your optimum with a poor diet.

TL;DR Don't talk if you don't know bills.
The top 3 teams in NA live in a mansion. Dont tell me they cant afford to live there without streaming 24/7. Curse is getting alot of sponser money, i actualy dont belive they are even paying themself for staying there. So cut the bullcrap. You could say the same about the EU players with food/shelter etc. but it seems like they are doing just fine in the tournament. NA is just less skilled, thats it.

Drewbie

10-06-2012

NA teams need to stop treating this a side job and need to put their lives 100% into it like the Koreans/Asians do, you can;t go to college and still be a pro gamer and expect to be on par with teams from Asia who live and scrim as a team for hours a day, 7 days a week. its the only way they will beat teams from Korea

IS1371d96745694779c6cca

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikegabriel View Post
He doesn't understand, right now he lives with his parent's and doesn't have a clue.

Let me sum it up though. He and my fiance pay 700$ a month in rent. That's just ren't. It's small, it isn't great, but hey it's a place to live and in a college town it can be hard to find places that don't suck. Now we pay another 25$ a month in water, and we pay on average 125$ on electricity. So for 2 people (most places charge for more occupants, and require them to be listed on the lease) we are up to 850$ a month. That doesn't include anything except living, water, and electricity. Those are things you are required to have in order to get an apartment here. Not optional. With 6 people you are looking at the extra each month for electricity, water, and then the fact that they won't let you get a 1 bedroom like that.

Paying bills is much different than people see on television.
EU teams has to do that aswell, and they are doing great this tournament

Disillusion

10-06-2012

I just want to say that I don't buy the claim that Asian pro gamers live together in dilapidated flats that even a homeless man would turn down and eating nothing but ramen. I've seen tours of the gaming houses in Korea, and they are far from ramshackle. They are in fact very liveable. I don't know how the cost of living compares, but Korea is not a third world country. Their cities are beautiful, their tech is advanced.

Teams that went to Korea, like CLG have commented on the food being excellent and one of the best aspects of being there. So I doubt their players are malnourished or anything like that.

These guys just take esports more seriously than NA does. When the best team in NA who've won just about every NA title this year can't take a single game against either of the two Korean teams they've ever faced (0-8 total, or 0-7 if you don't count the remade game) I'd say the Koreans are in a class of their own.

For CLG, I doubt the Voyboy for Saint switch will be the last roster change for the next 12 months. Heads will continue to roll if results don't come, and it's hard to see titles being won when they're not the current best team in NA. They've actually made the finals against TSM going 2-2 twice, but both times they got rolled by Dignitas being sent into the loser bracket and thus needing to go 2-0 in the final just to break even. Had they not come from the loser bracket, the 2-0 would have been enough to win the title. They got rolled by Dignitas again in the Regionals.

Subz1

10-06-2012

Even if i'm not a TSM fanboy they did much better than clg and dig imo.

Drewbie

10-06-2012

if you've ever set foot in Seoul you will know how big the gaming culture is over there, in NA people pay attention when pro athelthes walk around big cities they play in, same thing in Korea except its the best gamers in the world (mostly Starcraft players for now)

Atonal Elegy

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewbieQQ View Post
NA teams need to stop treating this a side job and need to put their lives 100% into it like the Koreans/Asians do, you can;t go to college and still be a pro gamer and expect to be on par with teams from Asia who live and scrim as a team for hours a day, 7 days a week. its the only way they will beat teams from Korea
But you can't knock them for it. Even they realize that this game won't last forever, and they won't be able to live off of the money that they make for the rest of their lives. And practicing more doesn't necessarily make you better. It has to do with how you prepare. Practicing reinforces things. It is possible that the Asian teams have different practicing methods than Americans do, but they don't reveal those things.

I was a little annoyed that Alex Ich (M5--At least I think it was him) talked about how he ignores his wife for video games.TV. Yeah, I'm sure she's tolerating it and trying to be as supportive as possible, but he's sacrificing his life for a game whose popularity most likely will not last.

And obviously this is something that they find necessary to be successful. But sometimes I think about what they will do with their lives after the game. Who knows when you will be cut from a team?

spikegabriel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewbieQQ View Post
I can only imagine the response I would have gotten if when I met my fiance's family instead of "I'm studying medicine" I would have said "I'm going to play video games". I can be almost certain her father would have said "NO!".

Even if it were as successful, I don't think that America is going to get over the social problem they've built up with video games. Here it seems to be something a person should almost be ashamed of.

Traithan

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikegabriel View Post
I can only imagine the response I would have gotten if when I met my fiance's family instead of "I'm studying medicine" I would have said "I'm going to play video games". I can be almost certain her father would have said "NO!".

Even if it were as successful, I don't think that America is going to get over the social problem they've built up with video games. Here it seems to be something a person should almost be ashamed of.
The exact reason why Europe and Asia school us.

GetOnMyLvl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

OP is implying anyone has stood a chance to Azubu lately. Heh