What's up with all the Jerks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Integuraru

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophiliac View Post
You are obviously a very intelligent, sensitive girl and I think that you really hit it on the head.

I want to note I knew you were a girl - not because of anything other than the fact that you seemed to understand something about the quality of players in this game on a deeper level than most males can.

I think you're totally right about the prevalence of meanness on the Internet and in particular this game, and I really think it would be good if everyone checked themselves periodically to make sure they wouldn't say anything over the Internet that they wouldn't in person.
^ this. while i've managed to avoid most of these toxic players by playing with people i know, the few rotten apples (please excuse the cliche) that i manage to encounter can ruin a perfectly enjoyable game.

XElement

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rihi View Post
People attack others to take the attention off themselves and their gameplay. Coping mechanism to stay confident some tend to take it way too far and try to insult you personally. I feel that the only insults that will hurt are the ones that are true. If their accussations just seem blatantly false I tend to not argue it and just let them feel they're right to avoid the confrontation and try to minimalize the pain to team morale. Though i sound like a pushover which it's allright for you guys to think that. ^^
^ exactly.
I JUST had a match against an enemy tryndamere.
The whole time he was raging, mad, calling his team bad.
He was pretty much farming/backdooring all game and never helping in fights.
He felt proud he could 1v1 most of us with his 300 CS.
Calls me a noob for running away after I was soloing a tower and he was chasing me across the map.
called his teammates bad when again, he was just backdooring and never helping. He would laugh at us or his team upon every death.
He went 12/12, most deaths on his team by like 6. Sure he had tons of kills, except never did he get one without the use of his ult. And acted like score meant you are great, I felt bad for his team having to deal with him.

Point is. Dude was bad, he wasn't good nor did he help in that match. Yet the entire game he was raging.

1scythe1

10-06-2012

First of all Salinas, I love you. I thought you might enjoy reading something like that to put a smile back on your face. Secondly ,there is no absolute control mechanism in place to prevent the trolls from doing what they do. The only thing I can think of would be to remove chat completely and enhance the ping system with additional pings for other situations. Case in point, the world playoff stream. They removed the chat and all was well. Other than that, you shouldn't waste any time worrying about these people because they obviously don't consider the people they are playing with. The tribunal and honor system are just band aids on a gunshot wound... ineffective.

Have a nice day.

Faren22

10-06-2012

Honestly, if someone is going to be an ******* the entire match, I mute him, and encourage others to do the same. There is absolutely no point wasting energy responding to him (her? usually him I think), energy that could be better spend carrying his sorry ass to victory and saying "you're welcome" with a smile at the end.

darkjak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

I think you need to not use internet terms like "troll" without first knowing what it means.

Lyrael

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinas View Post
I have been playing League for a quite a while now, and I've never posted on or even read the forums, but this is an issue that is really irksome to me and I feel like I have to talk about it.

I am glad that Riot introduced the honor system. It seemed to me a way to encourage people to behave more civilized toward other players; however, I feel like a dishonor system should have be implemented right alongside that.

So many players are just plain mean. It seems like it gets worse all the time. Heaven forbid that you have a bad match, or that your mouse battery dies and you end up getting killed. People will curse you out, wish you dead, and generally piss on your head.

I try to be diplomatic, but with the attitudes of these people, that is nearly impossible. I usually get responses like "I don't need to be nice to you because you're worthless and fat." I understand that this type of internet trolling exists, but I didn't think it ran so rampant. It's not even rage, it's just plain meanness (I'm not sure if that's an actual word, but you know what I mean).

These poor personalities in players have very negatively affected my gameplay. It's bad for morale, not only for the individual, but for the team.

It's hard sometimes to just let such insulting words go, and perhaps I am too sensitive (yes, I am a female, after all - and no, I won't gb2k, or make you a sandwich). I try to be friendly to everybody, and I've helped many new players. I don't rage at people for making mistakes, and I don't tell them I hope they get cancer (yes, I have actually seen someone say that before).

Maybe I should just stop playing.

Of course, this wouldn't be the internet if this post doesn't end up getting replies telling me to go kill myself or some other such trolling, nasty response - I do expect a few, but I am a hoping that I will get some genuine responses as well.

What is the point of all that negativity? It definitely makes the game less enjoyable.

What do you guys think?
Here's what most people don't understand. Its very simple, just one principle behind all the rage:

You can do everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) right, and still lose.

- You can be quite adaptable, playing every role, and letting people call what they want
- You can win your lane
- You can offer advice to your team
- You can ward
- You can offer encouraging advice
- You can tell other people to back off someone who's having a bad game
- You can watch streams
- You can read guides
- You can do your masteries correctly
- You can do your runes correctly
- You can beat yourself up when you lose, study what you did wrong
- You can improve yourself
- You can practice your last hitting, until you get really good at it.

AND YOU CAN STILL LOSE

Keep in mind that most people who are level 30 have played 100 some odd games to get there, and the people beyond that have played several hundred more.

A lot of people don't have friends to play with, and thus, have to solo queue.

Not saying that they can't have a bad game. But, ordinarily, if you had a bad game 20% of the time, a decent game 60% of the time, and a really good game, 20% of the time, you should win, right? WRONG.

League is funny, particularly the ranked queue, because as you go down, you seem to get that one person who's having that 1 game out of 5 that they're not doing so hot every game. Also, because league is a game where it takes a team to win a game, but one person to lose it.

And particularly if you play ranked games. Your frustration only builds as your number goes down, when you do all the above things right. That little number that tells you, quite objectively, that you suck. The number keeps going down, those percentages shift until they look something like 40/40/20, or 50/40/10 (you get the idea)

Particularly since when you have that one game out of 5, you get dumped on. Four other people telling you how much you suck, need to go die, etc. Then, suddenly, you do your best to improve.

Other people don't take the game as seriously. 'Its just a game, relax!' they tell you, whenever they're doing bad, but oh Lord! The minute you start doing bad, those same people dogpile you.

Keep in mind, the rage stems from a feeling of powerlessness.

- If you have 2 people who want to keep playing the game out, then the rest of the team is stuck there, too. No matter if there's 3 people who want to leave the game.
- If one person just doesn't care, and feeds kill after kill, there's nothing you can do but watch
- If someone wants to pick Miss Fortune, and they have an Ezreal, or Ashe, there's nothing you can do but watch
- If someone wants to run promote/surge, there's nothing you can do but watch

So, when put in that situation, what else is going to result? Surely, you don't think all that pent up frustration is going to be contained?

When you're still powerless, that number next to your name is only getting lower and lower, and the only thing you might theoretically get is some 'internet nice guy/girl' points that are kinda like being the prettiest kid in the slow class. Sure, it feels good, but isn't worth much.

That cycle just repeats, the more people that get into league. Or MoBAs in general, for that fact.

I'm not disproving the john gabriel ****wad theory. That's still there, as some people are just jerks. But that's why the person who's at heart a pretty nice guy/girl turns into an intolerant rage monster.

Lord knows I do, for much of the same reasons listed above.

Example:
- On hit Graves. Wits End, Madred's Bloodrazor, whole bit.
- Lee Sin, Nasus, Fiora, on the enemy team. No one else on my team builds armor.
- 2 people on my team go 0/8. The rest of the team wants to surrender, those 2 don't, because 'they want to see how the game ends'

And one is just forced to watch with an almost slack jawed awe as these acts occur.

So sure, in a perfect world, people should be nice.

Something I've always thought would help league is if they had a 'I want to have fun' queue, and a 'I want to try hard' queue. You'd think that's what normal and ranked are, but in my experience, not really.

Also Note:
You see a lot less rage in Starcraft II, simply because its a 1v1 game. No one to get mad at but yourself. Also why people are generally better mannered on it.

deeeej

10-06-2012

its funny how many people here back this poor lady up, but I can bet you a 100 bucks at least one of these guys here have been total d bags in a game, or non the less trolled just to make people mad.

Stomach God

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinas View Post
I have been playing League for a quite a while now, and I've never posted on or even read the forums, but this is an issue that is really irksome to me and I feel like I have to talk about it.

I am glad that Riot introduced the honor system. It seemed to me a way to encourage people to behave more civilized toward other players; however, I feel like a dishonor system should have be implemented right alongside that.

So many players are just plain mean. It seems like it gets worse all the time. Heaven forbid that you have a bad match, or that your mouse battery dies and you end up getting killed. People will curse you out, wish you dead, and generally piss on your head.

I try to be diplomatic, but with the attitudes of these people, that is nearly impossible. I usually get responses like "I don't need to be nice to you because you're worthless and fat." I understand that this type of internet trolling exists, but I didn't think it ran so rampant. It's not even rage, it's just plain meanness (I'm not sure if that's an actual word, but you know what I mean).

These poor personalities in players have very negatively affected my gameplay. It's bad for morale, not only for the individual, but for the team.

It's hard sometimes to just let such insulting words go, and perhaps I am too sensitive (yes, I am a female, after all - and no, I won't gb2k, or make you a sandwich). I try to be friendly to everybody, and I've helped many new players. I don't rage at people for making mistakes, and I don't tell them I hope they get cancer (yes, I have actually seen someone say that before).

Maybe I should just stop playing.

Of course, this wouldn't be the internet if this post doesn't end up getting replies telling me to go kill myself or some other such trolling, nasty response - I do expect a few, but I am a hoping that I will get some genuine responses as well.

What is the point of all that negativity? It definitely makes the game less enjoyable.

What do you guys think?
Tbh i find the best way to avoid being trolled or abused is to simply play with some friends... provided your friends arn't gona rage at you it should help decrease the flak you get... and if you work well with your friends it will certainly help you win...

Disappoptimist

10-06-2012

If you need some peeps to play with add me in game and we'd be happy to have some1 else with a good attitude. My friends and I would rather play with a iffy player that doesn't rage/troll hard than with a pro that does.

wigsplitta322

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie is nice View Post
its funny how many people here back this poor lady up, but I can bet you a 100 bucks at least one of these guys here have been total d bags in a game, or non the less trolled just to make people mad.
It's what the e-gina does to guys. They think if they support her and say things like she's a "very intelligent, sensitive girl" she's going to sleep with them.