@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L2 Sentinel

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
^^^^ It's not being done for a sense of moral superiority, it's being done as an attempt to get things to change for the better. Also the same arguments keep being brought up because they are still true and people still refuse to get it.

Are dudes on the internet completely incapable of saying the word "woman"?

Anyway, upvoted the OP, because he or she is right about everything in their post, and took the time to patiently explain it (which is more than I can say for myself in these discussions since I have a low tolerance for people repeating the same stupid and wrong "counterarguments" ad nauseum). This game has a problem with its presentation of women. That is undeniable. They are allegedly working on it, but every post I've seen from IronStylus indicates that he still just doesn't get it.

Here's hoping your thread doesn't get downvoted to oblivion, OP, but knowing this community you probably only have a half hour left before that happens.
Haha, well I appreciate the support.

Hummin

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunxlinger View Post
Everyone gets raged on at some point or the other.
there is a difference with being raged at because you constantly have poor positioning, your build isnt very good, or you afk push a lane never helping in team fights and being picked on because of your gender. I dont go to males and say oh your playing this because your fat, or have small *****es. why do I have to hide and never be able to stream seriously because Im female?

Waafu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

On one hand it's understandable that champ design trends still generally cater to the straight male playerbase just because they're the majority, but on the other hand, there would definitely be no harm in Riot expanding their horizons a bit and tapping into other markets, and this might even shift the status quo gradually.

That said, I think the problem has much more to do with the male champ roster than the sexualized female champs, because people are more concerned with what they want to see than what they don't want to see, and besides, most people agree that all the female champs are well-designed in their own right and it's simply the lack of variety as a general trend that's problematic. I personally find a lot of the male human champs attractive, especially the beefy ones, and I don't care much for Ezreal, but most of the female players I know disagree greatly, and I think it would be a good move for Riot to introduce more conventionally attractive male characters.

Bianary

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryswar View Post
Cute. You ignore how fervently IronStylus and some others have supported more varied and non-sexist female champs in favor of painting an inaccurate portrayal of red behavior?
On one side we have their words. What they say they want to do and what they say they have designed for.

On the other side we have their actions. What they have actually designed and what is actually in the game.

One of these things speaks far louder than the other.

Xengre

10-05-2012

You are being rather bias tbh...

Riot is not simply marginalizing females. They also can not control how some players treat females but can reduce such toxic behavior through tribunal/mute/etc. To make matters worse many females use their... assets to garner attention (while this is not exactly wrong in the real world under moderation, doing so in a video game community is just pointless).

Naturally, Riot will make character models that will attract attention and fit preferences... it is kinda how marketing works (lol). They will also avoid overly ugly or normal characters because normal characters are fine in moderation to change things up but should not be the norm due to marketing reasons. Ugly characters can be even more difficult to deal with because they attract a niche crowd but are generally not a strong marketing move (refer to backlash and lack of popularity due to Urgot being too grotesque).

As you indicated yourself... there are many normal female skins that are intended to be cool, and then there are niche skins/etc.
• Nurse Akali is a stripper nurse. No real nurse dresses like that. However, strippers with themed costumes do dress like that. Surgeon Shen is an actual medical professional. (Perhaps, but this is simply filling an extremely popular fetish and Akali's theme is kinda... cosplay. Further have you seen some of her other skins? Her All Star skin is pretty bad ass and probably one of the coolest in the game. I do feel they made her breast too large in the actual model but... still neat. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...tarSkin_Ch.jpg)
• Cowgirl Miss Fortune is just missing a pole. Her attire is completely impractical I sure hope she is wearing underwear under that flap. High Noon Twisted Fate actually looks like he belongs in the Wild West. Sheriff Caitlyn is wearing hotpants. (Honestly, likely a very popular fetish for many reasons. Filling a niche but this is not her only skin.)
• Officer Caitlyn is in many ways the most disappointing. She is in a position of authority. She is the Sheriff of Piltover. But, she gets a stripper cop outfit. Riot Graves, and outlaw, actually looks like a real cop. No officer in real life dresses like Caitlyn. They’d never be taken seriously. She could have been a badass. Real missed opportunity, here. (Do I really need to answer this one?... Same as above.)
• Battle Bunny Riven is a Playboy Bunny. This is the most blatant one of them all. You can’t even pretend that this is anything but a stripper skin. There isn’t a male counterpart for this. (How long was this asked for before Riot gave in? This one is actually over the top compared to many of the others... but the request for it was very substantial, large enough so to warrant making the skin to rake in $$$ Definitely a fetish skin and more over the top then others but it doesn't go too far.).
• Prestigious LeBlanc is a Vegas showgirl. Magnificent Twisted Fate is an actual magician. (Woopy do... Actually a pretty awesome skin in a non-sexualized way even if it normally is a sexualized theme. In her case it is set up to look pretty awesome and matches her style perfectly as a mage. Also do not ever ever go to Vegas if something as minor as THIS bothers you.)
• French Maid Nidalee is something you’d see in a gentleman’s club. (Same as Riven... Don't ever hire maids ok? Might be sexist.)
• Heartseeker Vayne. I guess if Jack of Hearts Twisted Fate is the male equivalent, though again, the male character is fully clothed. (If you are complaining about this one as well then honestly, I can't see how a serious discussion can be made. It is a Valentine themed skin that is rather modest.)
• Mistletoe LeBlanc, Candy Cane Miss Fortune, Snow Bunny Nidalee draw a strong contrast to Santa Gragas and Old St. Zilean. (Can't really take you serious with this comment, I don't even know for certain by this point in your post if you are trolling or not. I'm being honest, I can't tell...)
• Sandstorm Katarina is a belly dancer. (Belly dancer.. no. Bad ass desert fighter? Yes.)
• Red Card Katarina doesn’t dress like any referee I’ve ever seen. Fifa banned players from taking their shirts off. (So a slight twist to make it "sexier" to appeal to the primarily male audience is an issue. Also shirt is on...)
• Kitty Kat Katarina reminds me of Halle Berry’s Catwoman, and that’s offensive on a whole new level. (...Just please... for the love of, grow up. Many of my comments before were slightly sarcastic but I am serious with this comment. Extreme personal bias here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
The following are male champions that people use as examples of sexualized men. They may show skin, but being shirtless means nothing when they are morbidly obese or freakishly muscular. Female body builders are nasty. Male body builders are also nasty.
This is rather extreme bias and subject to matter of opinion. I imagine most women won't find it cool or attractive as well but again that is subject to personal view. I will say, personally I feel the artist simply lacked skill to properly portray what they were striving for (as noted in regards to Tryndamere in past cases).

Due to the length of your post I will limit what I reply to and what I have to say.

Many of my comments were slightly sarcastic because, well your statements were deserving of it.

I find it very difficult to take your thread seriously as I can't tell if you, yourself, are. In fact... I legitimately believe you are trolling in this thread.

Naturally there will be skins that as long as they don't go too far will try to make money off fetish/niche concepts of the primarily male audience but there are those that will attempt to do so or at least balance it for the female and both audiences.

I doubt I will reply to this thread again considering the OP but I may if I have time.

Udyrfrykte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

Riot won't steadily release female champs without DD hooters, rediculous waist-lines, and skimpy outfits until *** stops selling. No ETA on that, though...

@Riot: just level the playing field with skins like Unprepared Garen http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2002829. If both male and female champs have revealing skins, you can't be accused of sexism, plus you'll have more skins available = more money people can spend on their favorite champ. It's win-win.

ashxu

10-05-2012

B--b-but

I like boobies

RockNRoll Jesus

10-05-2012

what i am getting from your post is that there are no male champions that appeal to you.
It is more like "i dont like any of the looks of the guy champions, make me a PRINCE CHARMING!"
Honestly i hate this argument about how all the females are over sexualized in game, hello wake up have you looked at the real world? Most woman nowadays dress like that (i know not all do).

Lastly its a video game who really cares? We male players BS around, we treat woman as other males online. We make fun of people around us and bust them around thats just how men are.

Ayrona

10-05-2012

I am so glad that this thread was not downvoted to oblivion! I think that you made a few really good points. I have wanted to post something like this myself may times.

I really hope that someone responds to this.

L2 Sentinel

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waafu View Post
On one hand it's understandable that champ design trends still generally cater to the straight male playerbase just because they're the majority, but on the other hand, there would definitely be no harm in Riot expanding their horizons a bit and tapping into other markets, and this might even shift the status quo gradually.
That's all I'm saying.